The Student Room Group

This is what the Americans really think of our uptight nation and monarchy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by CelticSymphony67
The UK is by no means Insignificant, but the days of the Empire are over. If it was not for those nuclear weapons on The Clyde in Scotland, the UK would not be on the Security Council. In fact, the UK is not even a leader in Europe.

Germany is the Daddy of Europe.

Who is trying to claim the days of Empire are still here though? I imagine our fairly large economic clout no doubt helps along with those nuclear weapons.

Germany may be the main economic power in Europe but we certainly have the potential to be the second biggest player in the EU well on an equal plane as Germany provided we stopped dicking around with populist referendums used by unpopular parties to garner support. In the outside world I'd say we are more influential than Germany due to their inability to form a coherent foreign policy.
Reply 61
Original post by Plainview
I couldn't care less what the yanks think about us. I wonder if they know that, rightly or wrongly, many stereotyping Brits think of Americans as largely racist, burger-munching dullards.

I wonder if you realize that we don't care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
British affairs have been the brunt of TYT jokes for a long time. When it comes to Britain... they don't know **** and stereotype like crazy.

I would hesitate to class this as what Americans think of us. After all, TYT pride themselves on being 'different' in their representation and views on news, particularly in comparison to channels like FOX etc.
I don't take Americans seriously, either. So pish posh.
Reply 64
Original post by tinkertailor
[video="youtube;6BvHXHTdB7A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BvHXHTdB7A&lc=wTixEPFex jUU1KeX5A_Gb9su0ipxvBj8qeell0uA0 hY[/video]

Isn't it hilarious how some of us in this country delude ourselves into thinking that the Americans love us and our precious monarchy? The media do this all the time, telling us how America is obsessed with us when in fact the vast majority don't give a crap :rolleyes: In fact some of them mock us :biggrin: I bet President Obama had to grit his teeth when he had to send out his oh so heartfelt congratulations to Kate Middleton and Gromit.

The BBC even did a segment where they showed reactions from the hysterical US media. Outside of the obsessive American media, no one cares in the US :biggrin:

This all comes down to the fact that a lot of us still believe in the so called 'special relationship' with America. Ask any average American about it, they won't have heard it. We still look for America's approval and not just in politics. The BBC had to scour for some Americans outside of Buckingham Palace to ask their opinions on the royal baby :biggrin:I know this is a bit of a rant but it's something I had to get off my chest after the last few hysterical days.

The US doesn't take us seriously, in fact they and the world see us (and most of Europe) as a giant museum where people can go 'oh look, that's where a famous mass genocide took place/oh look that's when a crazy king had his 6 wives killed!'The fact that we still have a monarchy is embarrassing. The US/world don't look at us with envy, they look at us with amusement. Someone should send a memo to our pathetic media in this country :biggrin:

Dude, the young turks is a collection of off-brand idiots who failed to make it in the mainstream media, what else would you expect?
Original post by Aj12
Who is trying to claim the days of Empire are still here though? I imagine our fairly large economic clout no doubt helps along with those nuclear weapons.

Germany may be the main economic power in Europe but we certainly have the potential to be the second biggest player in the EU well on an equal plane as Germany provided we stopped dicking around with populist referendums used by unpopular parties to garner support. In the outside world I'd say we are more influential than Germany due to their inability to form a coherent foreign policy.

What financial clout? I thought the UK had a big deficit, and was cutting back on everything barring Education, NHS and oversea aid?

The UK should be the next big player in Europe after Germany, but if the UK truly wants to be at the heart of a successful EU, then the UK is going to have integrate into the EU a lot more. The UK and it's citizens can't have it both ways, moaning that it does not have enough influence in the EU, but is not completely committed to the cause. It has to be one way or the other.
Reply 66
What financial clout? I thought the UK had a big deficit, and was cutting back on everything barring Education, NHS and oversea aid?

The UK should be the next big player in Europe after Germany, but if the UK truly wants to be at the heart of a successful EU, then the UK is going to have integrate into the EU a lot more. The UK and it's citizens can't have it both ways, moaning that it does not have enough influence in the EU, but is not completely committed to the cause. It has to be one way or the other.

By financial clout I meant our economic position as the 6th biggest in the world. I'd certainly agree about that. We have a huge potential to become a big EU player and reform it from within but instead we would rather stick our head in the sands and go it alone losing all influence within the EU and having no say in laws we'd have to abide by anyway to trade with the EU.
Reply 67
Original post by smorga30
I wonder if you realize that we don't care.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope you noticed my italicised phrase indicating that I don't necessarily agree with that stereotype. I'm quite sure you don't care; my point was exactly that: each nation can have their distorted views of the other and it doesn't matter. So yes, I do realise that.

I think we love the idea of having a little prince but we definitely pride ourselves on our democratic system. President Obama and The First Lady are like our royals and we love them even more because they worked hard for their positions and weren't born into them.

America isn't a proper democracy, as is obvious by the fact that they don't impose American-style political structures on countries that they 'liberate' (electoral college, etc.). Do you love them for the fact that they have too much power and use it readily? Our 'little princes' aren't for show you know; they hold the power of the government in check by reducing the power of the head of state to only a theoretical concept.
Original post by Aj12
By financial clout I meant our economic position as the 6th biggest in the world. I'd certainly agree about that. We have a huge potential to become a big EU player and reform it from within but instead we would rather stick our head in the sands and go it alone losing all influence within the EU and having no say in laws we'd have to abide by anyway to trade with the EU.
Totally agree. Time this country gets rid of it's 'little Englander' attitude and engage with the EU full on. Germany and France would rather have that, than the 'Diddums' approach the UK has to the EU now.
Reply 69
I've taken a serious dislike to that loud fat idiot in the video. Would it be okay for him to put on a fake and exaggerated Indian or Chinese accent to mock those countries? I hope he continues to clog his arteries with gargantuan burgers until, one fine day, POP :smile:
Original post by mangamaan
How would you know the mental capacity of such individuals who undertake these polls? Where are these polls taken? We can argue till the cows come home.

You are clearly just being obtuse now.
Reply 71
[video="youtube;6BvHXHTdB7A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BvHXHTdB7A&lc=wTixEPFex jUU1KeX5A_Gb9su0ipxvBj8qeell0uA0 hY[/video]

Isn't it hilarious how some of us in this country delude ourselves into thinking that the Americans love us and our precious monarchy? The media do this all the time, telling us how America is obsessed with us when in fact the vast majority don't give a crap :rolleyes: In fact some of them mock us :biggrin: I bet President Obama had to grit his teeth when he had to send out his oh so heartfelt congratulations to Kate Middleton and Gromit.

The BBC even did a segment where they showed reactions from the hysterical US media. Outside of the obsessive American media, no one cares in the US :biggrin:

This all comes down to the fact that a lot of us still believe in the so called 'special relationship' with America. Ask any average American about it, they won't have heard it. We still look for America's approval and not just in politics. The BBC had to scour for some Americans outside of Buckingham Palace to ask their opinions on the royal baby :biggrin:I know this is a bit of a rant but it's something I had to get off my chest after the last few hysterical days.

The US doesn't take us seriously, in fact they and the world see us (and most of Europe) as a giant museum where people can go 'oh look, that's where a famous mass genocide took place/oh look that's when a crazy king had his 6 wives killed!'The fact that we still have a monarchy is embarrassing. The US/world don't look at us with envy, they look at us with amusement. Someone should send a memo to our pathetic media in this country :biggrin:

I didn't watch it all, but I got the gist of the video. The fact is, there are some people in this world who loads of people want to know about. These include singers, sportspeople and actors amongst others, and our royal family (particularly William, Kate and George) is right up there in terms of interest. The fact that TYT decided to focus on this royal event surely proves that it was more important than a lot of what is usually published :wink:

I also did notice that in the video, they admit that all their major news channels did cover even the smallest detail of the birth. Yet you claim the USA "don't give a crap"? Some people don't/didn't, sure, even in this country, but a lot of people were happy to see such news on their screens.
I'm sorry, I have one main argument against this is...Have you seen CNN the past few weeks. they have dropped almost everything to give updates in 15min intervals

We don't moan about how much influence we have in the EU, we moan about the constant stream of stupid counter-productive rules and regulations the EU imposes on us and the size of its bureaucracy.
You also seem to be implying that Germany and France don't do what is solely in their interests when it comes to the EU or indeed any other organisation, and the idea that we have to either bend over and take it up the arse or foxtrot oscar is ridiculous. We'll do what's in our interests and our interests only.
By your logic Germany and France should have to increase their commitments in Afghanistan as well as their defence spending to match our own or else leave NATO for not being 'completely committed to the cause'.
Reply 74
Original post by Plainview
I hope you noticed my italicised phrase indicating that I don't necessarily agree with that stereotype. I'm quite sure you don't care; my point was exactly that: each nation can have their distorted views of the other and it doesn't matter. So yes, I do realise that.

America isn't a proper democracy, as is obvious by the fact that they don't impose American-style political structures on countries that they 'liberate' (electoral college, etc.). Do you love them for the fact that they have too much power and use it readily? Our 'little princes' aren't for show you know; they hold the power of the government in check by reducing the power of the head of state to only a theoretical concept.

No, actually, we love them because they weren't born with a silver spoon In their mouths. They weren't just born into their positions, they earned them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 75
No, actually, we love them because they weren't born with a silver spoon In their mouths. They weren't just born into their positions, they earned them.

As did our PM. We aren't comparing like-for-like. (And anyway, Michelle didn't earn anything)

EDIT: Also, would you say Bush Jr earned his position, even though he lost the popular vote? Out of interest.
(edited 10 years ago)
'I wish we had a royal family'

If you gave the American people a choice tomorrow on whether to remain as a republic or bring back the British monarchy, I have no doubt that well over 90% would keep the status quo. What parts of America do you visit? Is it the doe eyed touristy side of New York or Los Angeles :biggrin:

All three times to Chicago and surrounding areas (got an uncle living there, so we stay with him). I should point out pretty much all the people who expressed a desire to have a royal family were, how can I put this... somewhat airheaded, not very politically and historically aware, obssessed with celebrity culture, sorts.

I have no doubt that most Americans, whilst many may hold a fascination with the British royals, have no desire to return to Monarchism.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 77
TYT hold independent views to the rest of the American media. That's why I watch them. They're far from representative.
There are hundreds of different views and opinions within a country. You can't generalise one of these views to a whole population which is what the video/OP has obviously tried to do.
Reply 79
The Yanks have nothing to laugh about, give me the Queen over Sarah Palin any day.
Our system is far from perfect but compared to the bureaucratic, often ineffectual nightmare that is American democracy/government I would say that ours' is vastly preferable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending