The Student Room Group

Jane Austin to replace Charles Darwin on the £10 note.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
My would-like to see list:

William Wilberforce £50
William Wordsworth £20
Alan Mathias Turing £20
David Hume £10
Ida Lovelace £5
John Donne £5
Isaac Newton £50
George Stephenson £50
Bronte Sisters £10
Adam Smith £20
Christopher Wren £10
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by thenumber2goose
Talking about Salman Rushdie on Question Time? :wink:

Good memory :wink:
Original post by Blutooth

x

Isaac Newton, Christopher Wren, Adam Smith and George Stephenson have already been on Bank of England notes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by im so academic
Where did she say that?

In light of that comment, she should not be on the tenner.

She says it here: Give a girl an education and introduce her properly into the world, and ten to one but she has the means of settling well, without further expense to anybody.

And through her books. I'm not saying that she was a feminist - she was far from that as she wrote characters that aspired to be nothing more than married . But if you look at her novels in its historical context it makes complete sense - the way women got power at such a time was through their husbands and marrying.

For example in Pride and Prejudice Elizabeth is intelligent and witty and as a result in the end gets everything she wanted in the beginning of the story - a good rich husband, Lydia is an airhead and in the end marries wickham (against his will). Mr bennet often draws comparisons between her and her mother and throughout the novel these comparisons seem to reflect the bennets marriage and is austens way of telling the reader (through irony) that this marriage is going the same way as the bennets.

Elizabeth refuses mr Collins's proposal - which at the time is seen as stupid because her family's estate was in danger of being lost but she refused deciding she would rather be single for life than be married in the name of the estate. in those days notions of marriage were that every woman needed one and should oblige in lieu in of love
Austen even shows readers how such a sacrifice would have played out.

Through many of her books the smart female ends up with the fairytale ending and as many critics such as Lionel Trilling would agree do so "not in spite of their subversive self assertion but rather because of it".

Jane austen was my author of choice when i did english literature so if you need anymore analysis on her life and work feel free to ask :colondollar:
Some people need to get a life. I bet you didn't even notice Darwin was on tenners before, the only reason this issue has got people all hot is because oh no its a WOMAN and so obviously she has been chosen to symbolise all the progressiveness you hate lol
Original post by peter12345

The feminists have shot themselves in the foot on this one, all they have achieved is a token woman on some banknotes. For the aforementioned reasons once people like Ada Lovelace and Rosalind Franklin etc has been used up then the Bank of England, still feeling pressured to have at least one woman will start scraping the barrel and the tokenism will become obvious. The feminists should have kept their mouths shut, let more and more women over time achieve leading to more and more women on banknotes. But instead they have decided to awkwardly force things.

Franklin is one woman who I think would be completely unjustified in putting on a note, given that Francis Crick played a more major role in elucidating the structure of DNA. So for her to get chosen over Crick would be blatantly just choosing her because she's female.
WHHHHYYY.

I despise Austin with a passion.
Reply 47
David Beckham deserves to be on a note tbh.
Boris Johnson on the £10 note? LOL
Jane Austen is just as deserving as Darwin so in a sense if they are going to replace him then she is a great option.
Darwin has changed the face of Biology. Austen, sure she wrote some books which are classics, but why her specifically? What makes her the best of English literature?

This is ****ing bull****. It should be based on merit, not your gender!

Darwin should be spinning in his grave over his. I'm disgusted over this announcement.

I'm sure he will be able to adapt :wink:
Original post by randomd_love
She says it here: Give a girl an education and introduce her properly into the world, and ten to one but she has the means of settling well, without further expense to anybody.

And through her books. I'm not saying that she was a feminist - she was far from that as she wrote characters that aspired to be nothing more than married . But if you look at her novels in its historical context it makes complete sense - the way women got power at such a time was through their husbands and marrying.

For example in Pride and Prejudice Elizabeth is intelligent and witty and as a result in the end gets everything she wanted in the beginning of the story - a good rich husband, Lydia is an airhead and in the end marries wickham (against his will). Mr bennet often draws comparisons between her and her mother and throughout the novel these comparisons seem to reflect the bennets marriage and is austens way of telling the reader (through irony) that this marriage is going the same way as the bennets.

Elizabeth refuses mr Collins's proposal - which at the time is seen as stupid because her family's estate was in danger of being lost but she refused deciding she would rather be single for life than be married in the name of the estate. in those days notions of marriage were that every woman needed one and should oblige in lieu in of love
Austen even shows readers how such a sacrifice would have played out.

Through many of her books the smart female ends up with the fairytale ending and as many critics such as Lionel Trilling would agree do so "not in spite of their subversive self assertion but rather because of it".

Jane austen was my author of choice when i did english literature so if you need anymore analysis on her life and work feel free to ask :colondollar:

Still not worthy of being on the £10 note.

Now if she actually spent her time with girls being forced into crap marriages, then maybe. Essentially she just made up fiction.
Original post by SuicidalFeminist
Boris Johnson on the £10 note? LOL
Jane Austen is just as deserving as Darwin so in a sense if they are going to replace him then she is a great option.

Definitely not.
Reply 52
You can't replace darwin!
Rosalind Franklin is more deserving IMO
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
Except for the fact that science is much, much more important than literary fiction. Darwin's theories completely changed humanities view on existence and reality from one of fictional, religious delusion to factual, scientific evidence..

Austen on the other hand, has hardly shaped the way humanity thinks.

You aren't comparing like for like though. Many writers have changed the world almost as much as Darwin has. Thomas Paine, for example, pretty well inspired popular support for the American War of Independence. Darwin was himself also a writer obviously. The first sentence in your post is objectionable. I heartily agree with you that it should remain Darwin though.
Reply 55
Original post by randomd_love
I know Jane Austen is a legend within her own right but would like her to be on the note because she still influences society today through her work.

Does she really, though?
The only reason I and many people are still alive is thanks to the incredible work of Charles Darwin, but the only time I've ever encountered Jane Austen is when I hear English literature students mention her.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 56
Still not worthy of being on the £10 note.

Now if she actually spent her time with girls being forced into crap marriages, then maybe. Essentially she just made up fiction.

Like I said her talent speaks for herself and try as I might you can't discredit her achievements - she did write fiction but its the way she wrote said fiction that made her famous. Her use of indirect speech was the first of its kind and if it wasn't for her works literature in all aspects wouldn't have evolved as it had with her influence. Many of her best critics, as much as they find her work tedious give credit where credit is due.

As others have said Darwin was always going to be his replaced as this is what happens with money. And her contribution to literature is worthy of noteriety but if its because she was a woman and not because she had talent; then no she's not a good candidate. Who might you suggest instead?
Reply 57
It would be cool if they had a few of each note. There are too many people to recognise and too few notes.
Is there not a better woman we could use? All seems a bit stupid to me anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Original post by TheHistoryStudent
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23424289

Thoughts?

Call me sceptical, but it seems to me that this is only being done because of the moaning of some people about her being pipped to the post by Churchill to appear on the £5.

And before you load your neg gun, I honestly think she would have been better on the £5 than Churchill anyway, as I think that we should celebrate the people who made great contributions to various fields (in her case literature, in Darwin's case, science) over the achievements of a politician, considerable, at least in wartime, though they were.

That's just my thoughts anyway... what do you think?

Another success for feminism, Sadly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending