The Student Room Group

Motorbike Society- IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Blob2491
I'm gonna get a bike instead of a car, do you think it'll be possible to complete CBT, theory and practical before uni in October?

Yes. You might find an intensive course is the way forwards if there aren't any tests that can be booked
Reply 81
Anyone ever taken a Mikuni carb to bits? what a strange piece of equipment that is!

My Virago 125 arrived at about half 10 this morning. I bought it as a none runner.
Got it going on full choke but it wouldn't rev...
Stripped the tank off and cleaned it out. Then I pulled off the carb then completely stripped it down and cleaned it with carb cleaner.
Put the bike back together and it'd start and run with no choke and only rev if you twisted the throttle a fraction. A-ha! Got it running and revving on the pilot jet then. :biggrin:
This brings us up to 4 o'clock. Had a shower and went to a birthday party and got back to the house about 6 ish...
Tank off... carb off... strip and clean much more thoroughly including total disassembly of a few bits I thought wouldn't matter and put it back together again.
This brings us to 9:05. this evening... thought "**** it" I'll try and start it...

Nearly flattened the battery trying to get it going. It'd catch and run for a few revolutions. Eventually when the battery was about to give out after a bit of fiddling it caught and ran a bit lumpy but I let it idle for a moment. Presumably the diaphragm hadn't seated properly?
Fiddled with the choke a little bit and it revved right up so knocked the choke back til it'd just about idle.
Thought i'd try my luck and see what would happen before I gave up for the night and it started responding to throttle input!
Brilliant - it's running!

Took it for a test ride round the block - bit lack lustre down the bottom end but from about 50% throttle upwards it reacts instantly to throttle input and quite fiercely. Not bad to say I just threw it back together and attempted to start it?
Excellent! Just need to tune it up properly tomorrow and then I can take it on a bigger test ride than "round the block twice".

Seems like a nice little thing. Only 6k from new and full history. Not been run on the road since 2004 'til about an hour ago too.
It's shocking how much crap can form inside a carb if it's just left indefinitely.
Reply 82
One of Roadcraft's bikes was stolen a few days ago, but Russ just posted on facebook that they got it back :grin:

some local lads put the word out about the theft. The thief delivered the bike back tonight with apologies, paying for new ignition and promised to put the word out to leave the bike shop alone. It's nice knowing people who have our backs.
Original post by Juno
One of Roadcraft's bikes was stolen a few days ago, but Russ just posted on facebook that they got it back :grin:

RoadcraftNottingham? The youtuber?

On second thoughts, probably not. Weird that the thief returned the bike!

EDIT 2: THE REVISIONING: Oh, it was roadcraft nottingham. Just went on his FB page!.. I imagine the lad that knicked it had a few choice words said to him
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by Chilledice

Yes!

Yea the youtuber. He also is the one that to blame for taught Juno to ride a bike.
Reply 86
Original post by Motorbiker
Yea the youtuber. He also is the one that to blame for taught Juno to ride a bike.

Who was responsible for teaching you grammar :beard:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
More tuning today on the Virago.
Nic took it round the block and came back pushing it... I did only put about a litre of fuel in to be fair. It fired straight up when I switched on the reserve tap. :biggrin:

Anyone know what the HC values should be for a 2000 year (W reg) 125? I've set it up by ear to get it running properly - I just want to see if it'll pass the emissions test. Do bikes even have emissions testing?
I don't mind dialing the tune back a bit 'till my gas tester says "yes" to get it through the MOT and put it back to where it is now post MOT.

It'll be its first ever MOT oddly enough... When it turned 3 years old in 2004 it was just parked up and forgotten about. That's why it was such a bitch to get it to start in the first place!

I really like his vids, he seems like a decent bloke! Was browsing through his facebook, looks like his next vid will be "Dealing with the Nottingham underworld- How to extort local thieves" :P

He must have the patience of a saint... Dealing with Juno for extended periods of time, eesh :biggrin:

Original post by JC.
More tuning today on the Virago.
Nic took it round the block and came back pushing it... I did only put about a litre of fuel in to be fair. It fired straight up when I switched on the reserve tap. :biggrin:

Anyone know what the HC values should be for a 2000 year (W reg) 125? I've set it up by ear to get it running properly - I just want to see if it'll pass the emissions test. Do bikes even have emissions testing?
I don't mind dialing the tune back a bit 'till my gas tester says "yes" to get it through the MOT and put it back to where it is now post MOT.

It'll be its first ever MOT oddly enough... When it turned 3 years old in 2004 it was just parked up and forgotten about. That's why it was such a bitch to get it to start in the first place!

Your mechanical knowledge makes me feel inept. Keep us posted! I can't wait to hear what you get like when you get *more* bikes.

Do you have to do MSF to get a "big" bike licence? Is that the plan?.. Are you in the US still?
Reply 89

He must have the patience of a saint... Dealing with Juno for extended periods of time, eesh :biggrin:

Exactly

:huff:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Juno's alright!

(But only in small doses) :wink:
Is biking dying?

Most bikers I see are over 40.. Maybe even over 50 and got their licences many years ago and just have their bikes as boys toys. Very few students or young people seem to ride.. Do we know why? Licensing and legislation? Percieved Danger? Cost?

I just don't get it!
Is biking dying?

Most bikers I see are over 40.. Maybe even over 50 and got their licences many years ago and just have their bikes as boys toys. Very few students or young people seem to ride.. Do we know why? Licensing and legislation? Percieved Danger? Cost?

I just don't get it!

I know a few bikers but less than I thought considering how cheap it is etc.

Start a new thread asking and the young students of tsr will reply. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know a few bikers but less than I thought considering how cheap it is etc.

Start a new thread asking and the young students of tsr will reply. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

We're not young? :frown:
We're not young? :frown:

We're young but we are bikers so we don't know why others aren't.

Asking the others why they aren't makes more sense.

Guessing it will be a combo of dangerous, getting wet in rain, getting cold in winter, getting hot in summer, high cost of gear. Can't take passengers.

Those are the reasons I've been told before anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We're young but we are bikers so we don't know why others aren't.

Asking the others why they aren't makes more sense.

Guessing it will be a combo of dangerous, getting wet in rain, getting cold in winter, getting hot in summer, high cost of gear. Can't take passengers.

Those are the reasons I've been told before anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Done! :biggrin: It also seems to have a bit of a stigma, as well as the fact that lots of people drive and very few people ride. In other countries where driving is less common, having a car at our age is a bit of an oddity!

I'm just in a grump, I guess.
Reply 96
When I've told a few mates I've started riding, the comments have been along the lines of, "Can I have your stuff when you die", "What about the other 3/4 of the year when it's cold and icy" and, "It would make long journeys a pain". With the last one I'm not sure if they meant getting luggage around or he thought it would be physically painful haha
Is biking dying?

I just don't get it!

I think the new EU regulations are a bit of a put off, but luckily I passed (young) before it all changed. Most young people will get a scooter/moped, bu rarely progress to bikes, they only seem to go down that path because the CBT is cheap and relatively easy.
I've had a bit of a think, and I'm hoping to sell my FZ6 S2, and then eventually buy a Triumph Sprint RS.
My problems with the Fazer are numerous, the screen is too low and just makes wind worse, it's poor at low RPM, and for getting around the city in traffic it is just not working that well - it is a great bike don't get me wrong. Would anyone think this is a good idea, or steer me clear of getting a bigger bike bearing in mind I've had the FZ6 for 6 months?
Reply 99

Guy's be helpful and reply,
BORISTHETHRID
You can probably help locally?

Original post by WalkerPassingby
I've had a bit of a think, and I'm hoping to sell my FZ6 S2, and then eventually buy a Triumph Sprint RS.
My problems with the Fazer are numerous, the screen is too low and just makes wind worse, it's poor at low RPM, and for getting around the city in traffic it is just not working that well - it is a great bike don't get me wrong. Would anyone think this is a good idea, or steer me clear of getting a bigger bike bearing in mind I've had the FZ6 for 6 months?

I know this seems silly... but would you consider swapping the fz6 for a pointy sv, or try one to see the difference. The sv has the low down torque and good around town, a double bubble screen works wonders on both bikes, and the sprint is a bit of a big bike... have you checked the insurance?

I've just been brought back from wales by my father who's borrowed my sv, the wind was horrendous, the rain came by the bucket load, and then we came over the bridge and the rain stopped, we came off the motorway and had a lovely ride to mine,
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending