The Student Room Group

Changing course to Medicine - Medicine 2014 Entry

Hi everyone :smile: I have just finished first year of Pharmacy and have come to the decision that I want to pursue Medicine(2014 entry). I am interested if anyone else has found themselves in a similar position and if so, have they been successful with receiving offers from universities giving their circumstances? Would really appreciate any feedback! Thanks :smile:
Original post by Gills7
Hi everyone :smile: I have just finished first year of Pharmacy and have come to the decision that I want to pursue Medicine(2014 entry). I am interested if anyone else has found themselves in a similar position and if so, have they been successful with receiving offers from universities giving their circumstances? Would really appreciate any feedback! Thanks :smile:

Hmmm. This is a tough one. Most universities offering standard 5 year/6 year degrees expect applicants to have either been a direct school leaver or have completed their first degree with an upper second. (Or be in their final year at the time of application). It goes without saying that graduate entry courses expect the same thing.

However, I know Exeter and Plymouth (previously Peninsula) consider "non direct school leavers". You must sit the GAMSAT test:

http://gamsat.acer.edu.au/gamsat-uk/universities2

I also thought about applying to medicine after I completed my first year as an undergraduate. I decided to stay as my degree is in the medical sciences which is at least very relevant to medicine.

If you are really not enjoying your pharmacy course, perhaps switch your degree to something else? It's always good to have a backup plan! Or, you never know :smile: give it a bit more time, you may find pharmacy is for you after all! If you complete your degree with at least an upper second, you'll have more options to gain entry via the graduate pathway.
Reply 2
Thanks for the help!!:smile: Yes, I have heard that about Plymouth!

Quick Reply

Latest