The Student Room Group

Jobs for an 18 year old

I have left college after completing my A levels I want to take a gap year. I was wondering what jobs are available for an 18 year old to work in? I do not have much experience only 2 weeks at a primary school voluntary work and 9 months at a restaurant

Any shops/retailers that are always hiring?
The Army is always hiring.
Original post by ineedtorevise127
I have left college after completing my A levels I want to take a gap year. I was wondering what jobs are available for an 18 year old to work in? I do not have much experience only 2 weeks at a primary school voluntary work and 9 months at a restaurant

Im 18 and in exactly the same position as you! Ive only ever worked in oxfam and waitrose for experience (not paid) and want work. I suggest you do volunteering (im applying to become a samritans volunteer and MIND volunteer. Also working with Islam channel in sept) good luck, will be watching this thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Secretnerd123
Im 18 and in exactly the same position as you! Ive only ever worked in oxfam and waitrose for experience (not paid) and want work. I suggest you do volunteering (im applying to become a samritans volunteer and MIND volunteer. Also working with Islam channel in sept) good luck, will be watching this thread

Posted from TSR Mobile

Joining the Samaritans will be one of the best things you do, trust me! :smile:
Original post by KatieBoo
Joining the Samaritans will be one of the best things you do, trust me! :smile:

Really?? They said they have an open evening on sept 10th. Will they choose who they want there? Btw how long is training to be a caller?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Really?? They said they have an open evening on sept 10th. Will they choose who they want there? Btw how long is training to be a caller?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, the open evening is roughly a 30 minute presentation about the Samaritans, what they do, who they help etc. At the end those who are still interested are given an application form to fill in and hand back. About a week later I was emailed with dates for a "selection day". This is when they decide who to take on. It's quite a demanding day, lots of team exercises and debates. Then you have an interview with two existing Samaritans. Got phoned up the next day to say I'd been successful - it's a lot harder than people think, especially for a voluntary position. Out of about 25 people from my selection day only 5 of us got positions. Training is once a week for 3 hours for 6 weeks. Then your assigned a mentor who is with you when you take calls and this lasts like two months. Hope I helped :smile:
Original post by KatieBoo
No, the open evening is roughly a 30 minute presentation about the Samaritans, what they do, who they help etc. At the end those who are still interested are given an application form to fill in and hand back. About a week later I was emailed with dates for a "selection day". This is when they decide who to take on. It's quite a demanding day, lots of team exercises and debates. Then you have an interview with two existing Samaritans. Got phoned up the next day to say I'd been successful - it's a lot harder than people think, especially for a voluntary position. Out of about 25 people from my selection day only 5 of us got positions. Training is once a week for 3 hours for 6 weeks. Then your assigned a mentor who is with you when you take calls and this lasts like two months. Hope I helped :smile:

Wow thanks so much for the info! I really really hope im successful? Do you have to be really social as i can be quite shy sometimes. Also do u have any tips as to how i can be picked ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I took a gap year and worked in retail in a clothes shop and supermarket, pay was/is pretty good. And I applied for them mid August to start at start of September. Good luck :smile:
Original post by C_Armstrongg
I took a gap year and worked in retail in a clothes shop and supermarket, pay was/is pretty good. And I applied for them mid August to start at start of September. Good luck :smile:

Did u apply online? Please give me the sites you used

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I applied online, well where abouts do you live?
Reply 10
Wow thanks so much for the info! I really really hope im successful? Do you have to be really social as i can be quite shy sometimes. Also do u have any tips as to how i can be picked ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say you don't need to be super confident, everyone's nervous at first. You definitely need to participate and voice your opinions maturely. Just be polite and confident with yourself and you should be fine. They don't want the people who talk and talk and talk as the Samaritans is primarily a listening service but again they want someone who's assertive and can talk coherently :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by ineedtorevise127

If teaching/tutoring's up your street, you could always apply to Explore Learning or Kumon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending