The Student Room Group

Low BSc grade what to do

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by bab1991
Thank you guys for all your help. I would appreciate a bit more suggestions, please not the one's that say you have no choice, give up, no way they will take you. The thing is, I am not a bad student. My grades are good, my last year exam grades are crap. When I did my project I received B+ for the first half and my dissertation was classified as plagiarized because I didn't reference it correctly and they counted it as 0, and I can't retake it now, because then I only be able to graduate in july.

I don't understand. What do you want people to say - go ahead, apply - a pass degree and a dissertation classified as plagiarized won't worry admissions because you say you're not a bad student??
Reply 21
Original post by sj27
I don't understand. What do you want people to say - go ahead, apply - a pass degree and a dissertation classified as plagiarized won't worry admissions because you say you're not a bad student??

Pretty much this, lol.

Stop considering the academic route and find a job in the UK or Russia or anywhere. Even if it's a toilet cleaner job, you can work your way up quickly.
Reply 22
Original post by bab1991
my dissertation was classified as plagiarized because I didn't reference it correctly and they counted it as 0

I'm afraid that this alone would probably be enough to finish off any hope of doing a Masters. It's bound to be mentioned by your referees, even if you managed to avoid the subject in your own application. A proven case of plagiarism is usually enough to stop an academic future in its tracks - it's just about the most serious transgression you can commit.

Even the explanation would just be another nail in the coffin of an application or interview. Any undergrad who reaches the end of their third year without knowing how to reference properly, isn't going to be accepted for a Masters. Or at least I hope not. Sorry.
Reply 23
OK. listen those who search for help solving similar problem as I do. I have been searching for help and haven't found for a long time and had to go through a lot. I applied to 25 different unis for masters. A nice professor from university of Roehampton suggested to do couple of undergrad modules to improve my grades and he personally contacted some universities to ask whether they will accept me afterwards. But luckily, I was contacted by Writtle college, partner of university of Essex and they accepted me to pg diploma and if successful I will be able to finish masters. So, never give up. There is always a chance. There were so many people who told me that I am a loser, how could I get such low grades and so on. I felt really down, useless, I lost weight, became very stressed and was told by my sisters that I looked terrible, but I did it, so can anyone who's in my situation.
Reply 24
Also I will make sure to come back in a year's time to tell you guys my results, for all those that say that if you did bad in BSc, you can't succeed in MSc.
People were not doubting your ability per se but were using the information you gave them to make sensible conclusions, i.e. pass degree + plagiarism = postgraduate nightmare. Well done for getting an opportunity nonetheless and good luck.
out of curiosity, how by 3rd year do you not know how to reference correctly?

its drilled into you from day one and there are websites where if you put the book/website/journal information in it will give you a correct reference order... there is really no reason to mess that up
Reply 27
Original post by rattusratus
out of curiosity, how by 3rd year do you not know how to reference correctly?

its drilled into you from day one and there are websites where if you put the book/website/journal information in it will give you a correct reference order... there is really no reason to mess that up

To be fair, I know I was an idiot. I was never accused of plagiarism, and my work was always checked by turnitin. However, nobody drilled anything about plagiarism from day one in my university. We learned on our mistakes, work was plagiarized for some people and they were trying to avoid it next time. My mistake was that I rephrased the sentences wrong, they looked to similar to original one's. Oh well, now it's my last chance, and Im happy that I have it :smile:
Original post by bab1991
To be fair, I know I was an idiot. I was never accused of plagiarism, and my work was always checked by turnitin. However, nobody drilled anything about plagiarism from day one in my university. We learned on our mistakes, work was plagiarized for some people and they were trying to avoid it next time. My mistake was that I rephrased the sentences wrong, they looked to similar to original one's. Oh well, now it's my last chance, and Im happy that I have it :smile:

I'm afraid that this response indicates that you just don't get it, at a really fundamental level...

At a time when universities are under funding pressure and there is a shortage of students able and willing to pay the high fees charged for an MSc course, the temptation is great to admit candidates to courses for which they are poorly prepared. I fear that this is what has happened in your case. You may be sure that no matter what happens, your tuition fee will never be refunded.

And another point: most employers look primarily at the class of BSc degree, and an MSc does not do much to wipe out a poor degree result. (I speak from experience: I only got a Third in my BSc; later took an MSc in something completely different and did sufficiently well to get full funding for a PhD. Even after that, I kept going to interviews for post-doctoral positions and being asked about the grade of my BSc...)
Reply 29
Original post by Voyager_2002
I'm afraid that this response indicates that you just don't get it, at a really fundamental level...

At a time when universities are under funding pressure and there is a shortage of students able and willing to pay the high fees charged for an MSc course, the temptation is great to admit candidates to courses for which they are poorly prepared. I fear that this is what has happened in your case. You may be sure that no matter what happens, your tuition fee will never be refunded.

And another point: most employers look primarily at the class of BSc degree, and an MSc does not do much to wipe out a poor degree result. (I speak from experience: I only got a Third in my BSc; later took an MSc in something completely different and did sufficiently well to get full funding for a PhD. Even after that, I kept going to interviews for post-doctoral positions and being asked about the grade of my BSc...)

Just because it didn't work out for you, don't be sure it's not going to work out for me, as I mentioned I will write my progress here, so later on people who are feeling down and think they can't achieve anything because of such people like you who had bad experience and assume its going to be bad for everybody else. You do realize this is not an advice, what you write. I have a will, I have the power and I'm prepared for a lot to get what I want.
Reply 30
Original post by bab1991
Just because it didn't work out for you, don't be sure it's not going to work out for me, as I mentioned I will write my progress here, so later on people who are feeling down and think they can't achieve anything because of such people like you who had bad experience and assume its going to be bad for everybody else. You do realize this is not an advice, what you write. I have a will, I have the power and I'm prepared for a lot to get what I want.

You still haven't learnt your lesson. Stop being so arrogant and listen to the poster, because what he say is true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending