The Student Room Group

Alternative routes into Medicine

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Apply abroad. Look for options where they take you based on exam results. There are countries in the EU which are free to study and you might get in. Some of them do course in Medicine. You asked for alternatives routes.
My cousin got a letter from UCAS as she is hoping to get into Med school this yr (hope she does!) but have you thought about doing a Biomedical Science degree and then going onto GEM after that? Like Bethaney says you could do go straight into a 4yr medical degree if you get the right mark.

My cousin has said if she doesn't get in she's going to do the Biomedical Science degree (2yrs) and then hope she can get in as a graduate later.
Reply 22
What's GEM? Yeah I have thought of it I'm just wondering if I do that will the government then fund me to do medicine as I'd already of done a degree, hope yur cousin gets in!
Original post by AliKhan96
What's GEM? Yeah I have thought of it I'm just wondering if I do that will the government then fund me to do medicine as I'd already of done a degree, hope yur cousin gets in!

GEM is graduate entry medicine. You should be aware of the serious competition of GEM (in Soton for example there are over 34ish applicants per place, whereas BM5 it is 14).

You should do your research but I think generally they'll accept any degree. Not just biomed. And you can get loans if your second degree is medicine.
Reply 24
Original post by BethaneyJ
GEM is graduate entry medicine. You should be aware of the serious competition of GEM (in Soton for example there are over 34ish applicants per place, whereas BM5 it is 14).

You should do your research but I think generally they'll accept any degree. Not just biomed. And you can get loans if your second degree is medicine.

Hey just out of curiosity would a grad applicant have a better chance at obtaining an offer for a 5 year course then an A level student or would they be considered separately??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Think very, very carefully right now. Is graduate entry really the way you want to go? Look at the degrees you are considering, if medicine doesn't work out, can you see yourself working in those fields? Is it an option financially? How do you plan to support yourself through a second course?

First thing's first, look at resitting the A-levels, some unis accept resits provided they are very good. Were there any extenuating circumstances surrounding your exams? Would you consider a career which doesn't require a degree? If you go down that route then take an access course then you don't have the funding issue. Plus, if you still feel like a career change then you can always go and study something once you have a bit of money behind you to support yourself.

Don't be pressured by school, family, what all your friends are doing etc. Explore every single other route before GEM. Schools have this thing of wanting as many people as possible to go to uni but in reality, it's not the be all and end all.

If you really want to go to uni and there is no way you can apply to medicine, try nursing. At least then you will have some experience of working in the NHS and have a decent academic foundation to start medicine. Failing that, you have a qualification that is more sought after in the working world than a generic science graduate.

Contact all the unis and ask about resits. then decide what to do.

Trust me, I started a Biomed degree, hated it. then found out I could've gotten in before starting the degree. and now only a couple of people will accept me because I left Biomed.

Good Luck
I would go through the alternative route if you'd still enjoy the degree. Competition for the traditional route is tough but for graduates the competition is tougher still. So it would be important to take a degree which you enjoy and that you could make a different career out of it.
Reply 27
Original post by AJ Smiley
Think very, very carefully right now. Is graduate entry really the way you want to go? Look at the degrees you are considering, if medicine doesn't work out, can you see yourself working in those fields? Is it an option financially? How do you plan to support yourself through a second course?

First thing's first, look at resitting the A-levels, some unis accept resits provided they are very good. Were there any extenuating circumstances surrounding your exams? Would you consider a career which doesn't require a degree? If you go down that route then take an access course then you don't have the funding issue. Plus, if you still feel like a career change then you can always go and study something once you have a bit of money behind you to support yourself.

Don't be pressured by school, family, what all your friends are doing etc. Explore every single other route before GEM. Schools have this thing of wanting as many people as possible to go to uni but in reality, it's not the be all and end all.

If you really want to go to uni and there is no way you can apply to medicine, try nursing. At least then you will have some experience of working in the NHS and have a decent academic foundation to start medicine. Failing that, you have a qualification that is more sought after in the working world than a generic science graduate.

Trust me, I started a Biomed degree, hated it. then found out I could've gotten in before starting the degree. and now only a couple of people will accept me because I left Biomed.

Good Luck

What grades did you get?
What Unis said they would accept you?
Where did you study Biomed?

I'm in the same position as you, I hold an offer for Biochemistry/Biomedicine at Southampton. Ideally I'd want to go straight into medicine.
Reply 28
Original post by Ryejd
What grades did you get?
What Unis said they would accept you?
Where did you study Biomed?

I'm in the same position as you, I hold an offer for Biochemistry/Biomedicine at Southampton. Ideally I'd want to go straight into medicine.

If you look at this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2408953

It has all the info about my situation, grades and who said what. Hope it helps. Best of luck!
Original post by bad8oy
Hey just out of curiosity would a grad applicant have a better chance at obtaining an offer for a 5 year course then an A level student or would they be considered separately??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the university. I think a lot of places asses your entry requirements and from then on everyone is equal. It goes on other things.
Reply 30
Original post by BethaneyJ
Depends on the university. I think a lot of places asses your entry requirements and from then on everyone is equal. It goes on other things.

Reply 31
If you look at this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2408953

It has all the info about my situation, grades and who said what. Hope it helps. Best of luck!

Aberdeen
BSMS
Exeter
Imperial
Keele
Kings (yes to A levels, not sure about being on another course)
Leicester
Manchester

So these unis allow you to retake and reapply?
Reply 32
Original post by Ryejd
Aberdeen
BSMS
Exeter
Imperial
Keele
Kings (yes to A levels, not sure about being on another course)
Leicester
Manchester

So these unis allow you to retake and reapply?

I don't think that's exactly the case. I sat Highers in Scotland, these are considered lesser qualifications to A levels. The Advanced Highers are equal to A levels but I never sat any.

Have you looked at this?:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies

obv a wee bit out of date, but email all of them and see if you meet the criteria. good luck :smile:
Reply 33

Good Luck

So what would you have done at the beginning ?
Reply 34
So what would you have done at the beginning ?

Personally? I'd have gone into the merchant navy, worked offshore in the oil and gas industry until the age of 24 roughly and then applied to medicine via access course. Failing that, armed forces. Although I might have been tempted to just sit the A-levels and hope for the best.

Ps sorry I took so long to reply
Reply 35
Original post by nikipatato
My cousin got a letter from UCAS as she is hoping to get into Med school this yr (hope she does!) but have you thought about doing a Biomedical Science degree and then going onto GEM after that? Like Bethaney says you could do go straight into a 4yr medical degree if you get the right mark.

My cousin has said if she doesn't get in she's going to do the Biomedical Science degree (2yrs) and then hope she can get in as a graduate later.

Has she not considered a gap year if she doesn't get in? Re-applicants after a gap year are more likely to get an offer than GEM applicants.
Hi, i have always wanted to go into medicine and am prepared to do any alternative routes. I thought i would be eligible to do foundation medicine but it turns out my schools results are a few percentage higher :frown: so i was thinking of doing a science degree and then going into medicine with that but was wondering if anyone has advice or has done this route. Also if i do choose this route would i sit the UKCAT now or the year i apply to go into medicine which would be after the degree?

Thank you x
Hey bradford clinical sciences may be a good option for you try researching it.:smile: and to mention there is no UKCAT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending