The Student Room Group

Should I tell my ex I am leaving?

Boyfriend of 4 years broke up with me a month ago. Naturally I was heartbroken but with some distance and reflection I realise the relationship wasn't working out and it was for the best. I had become dependent on him for my happiness and I was just sleepwalking through life, not really doing what I really wanted to do. I had based my whole life around him and there was resentment that I had given things up and didn't feel like he was putting effort in. He distanced himself more. He wanted to know what it was like to be young and single. We had some horrible arguments in the last 6 months and really looking back we should have ended it sooner, we were just too scared to be alone. I do however have some resentment towards him because he changed so much as a person. I feel a bit hurt he basically dumped me to slut around and go out with his friends. But I do not want to be angry, rationally I know he is perfectly entitled to feel the way he does and he's allowed to want to be single whilst he's young.

Anyway, I sent him 2 of pathetic I miss you, we should be together texts in the first 2 weeks. He replied saying he missed me too however he does not regret his decision and we should not be together right now. He said he wanted to be friends, I said probably not going to happen and plus isn't that just something people say but don't really mean? So I cut him out of my life since then and we haven't spoken. Now I have been offered a job on the other side of the world and I am leaving in 3 weeks. I am very excited and don't know if or when I'll come back to England. This has always been one of my dreams and I was willing to give it up for him which would have been a mistake. I'll be changing my number, and I don't have him on facebook anymore so there's no way he'd be able to contact me.

I am in two minds over whether to send him a message saying I understand why he broke up, I am moving away and just to say goodbye. I don't know whether this would be pathetic. It just seems harsh to just disappear without saying anything. I don't know if I want to slam that door completely shut in his face. I don't hate him and I don't want him to think that. Also part of it is ego, after those texts I'm fairly sure he thinks I'm lying round crying over him. I'll admit part of it is me wanting to show him I'm fine and don't need him. At the same time I don't know if I'll just look pathetic and should just leave it. He was sad I didn't think we could be friends but he said he understood. I think he will never contact me again if I don't contact him first. He is happy to have me walk away from his life forever and never speak again.

Advice?

tl;dr: bf broke up with me, I'm moving away to a different country far far away, probably never see him again, should I message him to say goodbye?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If it'll make you feel better send him the message... At the end of the day if you're moving to the other side of the world does it matter if he thinks it sounds pathetic? If you send the message and it allows you to be friends then you get a friend, if you send it and he thinks its pathetic, you haven't lost anything...

Good luck with the job :smile:
Reply 2
It is a tricky decision considering you were with him for four years. My advice would be to just leave it considering he's the one that dumped you meaning he wants to move on, right? Therefore you should move on too and when he figures out you moved without saying goodbye, he'll get the point.

Good luck with your new job :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Boyfriend of 4 years broke up with me a month ago. Naturally I was heartbroken but with some distance and reflection I realise the relationship wasn't working out and it was for the best. I had become dependent on him for my happiness and I was just sleepwalking through life, not really doing what I really wanted to do. I had based my whole life around him and there was resentment that I had given things up and didn't feel like he was putting effort in. He distanced himself more. He wanted to know what it was like to be young and single. We had some horrible arguments in the last 6 months and really looking back we should have ended it sooner, we were just too scared to be alone. I do however have some resentment towards him because he changed so much as a person. I feel a bit hurt he basically dumped me to slut around and go out with his friends. But I do not want to be angry, rationally I know he is perfectly entitled to feel the way he does and he's allowed to want to be single whilst he's young.

Anyway, I sent him 2 of pathetic I miss you, we should be together texts in the first 2 weeks. He replied saying he missed me too however he does not regret his decision and we should not be together right now. He said he wanted to be friends, I said probably not going to happen and plus isn't that just something people say but don't really mean? So I cut him out of my life since then and we haven't spoken. Now I have been offered a job on the other side of the world and I am leaving in 3 weeks. I am very excited and don't know if or when I'll come back to England. This has always been one of my dreams and I was willing to give it up for him which would have been a mistake. I'll be changing my number, and I don't have him on facebook anymore so there's no way he'd be able to contact me.

I am in two minds over whether to send him a message saying I understand why he broke up, I am moving away and just to say goodbye. I don't know whether this would be pathetic. It just seems harsh to just disappear without saying anything. I don't know if I want to slam that door completely shut in his face. I don't hate him and I don't want him to think that. Also part of it is ego, after those texts I'm fairly sure he thinks I'm lying round crying over him. I'll admit part of it is me wanting to show him I'm fine and don't need him. At the same time I don't know if I'll just look pathetic and should just leave it. He was sad I didn't think we could be friends but he said he understood. I think he will never contact me again if I don't contact him first. He is happy to have me walk away from his life forever and never speak again.

Advice?

tl;dr: bf broke up with me, I'm moving away to a different country far far away, probably never see him again, should I message him to say goodbye?

He's not bothered about you so don't bother about him, not to be selfish but leave it as it is, get along with your life enjoy it. Someone will appreciate you sooner or later.

Good luck 😊😊😊😊👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Tell him or you'll always wonder what if...
It depends on what kind of response you're hoping to get. How do you think you would feel if he didn't respond? What if he just sent a short, impersonal reply like 'Good luck'? You've made it clear that this is a little bit about your ego, and so my point is that you might not get a response that feeds it. Even though you've acknowledged and accepted that the relationship wasn't right, not getting the response you want might refresh the wounds, and that's really not what you want when you're about to move abroad very shortly.
Tell him, ultimately it's probably going to be closure for you both.
I'd tell him. If you don't, I think you'll regret not knowing how that would have felt a lot more than you can regret telling him.
Reply 8
Original post by Little J
Tell him or you'll always wonder what if...

What if what though? I don't want to get back together.

I think I'm going to leave it and see how I feel in a few weeks. I still want to do it however I don't really know what I'm hoping to gain or what response I am hoping to get. I'll think on it and if I still want to do it in a few weeks before I go I'll do it. I guess I just don't want him to think I'm a bitter and hateful person because of it. At the same time it's only been a month and whilst I'm feeling good now a response might upset me more than I think it will.
Reply 9
Do it, you'll just regret it if you don't.
Reply 10
Tell him you're leaving and wish him well. You've got a great journey ahead of you and you don't want to be thinking about him and that you should have told him. Say goodbye then continue looking forward.
Tell him, you have nothing to lose.
Reply 12
"Forgiving you is my gift to you, Moving on is my gift to myself"
I saw this the other day, I think it'll help you answer your question :smile:
Good luck in your future!
Reply 13
I'd tell him, in his position I would want to know. It would make me feel quite sad if someone who had been such a big part of my life didn't tell me they were leaving and I might never see them again. I think its polite and it will do you good too :smile:
Reply 14
You were with him 4 years. That's a long time, to suddenly not talk ever again is weird because that's like you're going to forget that part of your life even happened, I think it'd be best to let him know. He said he wanted to be friends - it may seem hard, but I think if you don't talk to him again you'll regret not having left the country on better terms.
Reply 15
I wouldn't bother saying anything. You decided that if you weren't a couple you couldn't stay friends (which is how I felt after my 9 year relationship ended). It's often easier to have a complete clean break and move on with your life separately. What will telling him change? Start your new life and leave him to his. You have a whole new dream to live now and you can go into it looking forwards instead of back.
I didnt read the full post but the last line was enough to give my point.

When its over between you both there really isnt much to tell and its left to your own decision.
As you have posted this, it means you want to tell him.. its ok you can no harm in that.
Tell him, but just as a goodbye thing. Then leave and move on knowing you're in good terms and maybe a possible friendship when you're back and completely over him.
Reply 18
What if he panics and wants to get back together - will that make your decision to go harder? Is that what you are secretly hoping for? How about writing to him with or without an address once you are already there?
Reply 19
Original post by MegM
What if he panics and wants to get back together - will that make your decision to go harder? Is that what you are secretly hoping for? How about writing to him with or without an address once you are already there?

Nah, I'm 100% sure that won't happen and I don't want it to. Ok, admitedly a small part of me hopes that years in the future we'll end up together but right now it's way way too soon and I can't think of anything worse than going back to our life together how it is now. I'm hoping the small part of me that hopes for something way in the future will just die naturally with time and when I meet someone else.

Also thought about waiting until I'm over there. Would give us even more space I guess, might not be a bad thing to have a longer period of no contact

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending