The Student Room Group

Gaining ucas points after starting uni

This might seem like an odd question, and it is indeed an odd situation, but here goes...

I got pretty **** in my A levels 2 years ago, but managed to get onto a foundation year with UWE, and passing that year was allowed to start any of their computer science degrees.

I've just finished my first year with a strong 1st, however I am intending on doing a placement year. This is where the problems start...

Most of the placements ask for a certain number of ucas points. Which is annoying because the foundation year, which i also passed well, is above ucas point level. Meaning all I still technically have is my **** A levels, and a very good first year.

So my questions are:
1. Should I lie on applications (Say i have loads of points) and explain in an interview?
2. Anyone have any experience in doing A levels while in their 2nd year of uni?
3. Do many universities (UWE) offer the chance to do A levels there?
4. Am i even allowed to study at a college part time if i'm in full time uni still?

Sorry its a long post, thanks for any help.
This is an unusual situation! How many UCAS points short are you? If it's a relatively small number, then it may be easier to do something that isn't A Levels and is related to CompSci / another area you know about. The UCAS Tariff is here http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables

However, lying will look worse than not having enough UCAS points. I'd suggest writing it in the covering letter section, if there is one, or otherwise attaching one. I'd also suggest talking to your academic tutor - I'm sure they've got past experience of this.
Reply 2
I have spoke to my tutor, no help at all really.
And it's quite a lot of points short, I need about 200 points. Plus on some applications there is a 'do you have over 300 ucas points' box, if you pick no then you get insta-declined.
Its just a pain because I know i could do computing A level in about a month.
Reply 3
Most, if not all, grad schemes state that 300 UCAS points refers to your best three A Levels and that's all
Original post by Jordanxvii
I have spoke to my tutor, no help at all really.
And it's quite a lot of points short, I need about 200 points. Plus on some applications there is a 'do you have over 300 ucas points' box, if you pick no then you get insta-declined.
Its just a pain because I know i could do computing A level in about a month.

I presume this is to start in 2014? What's the deadline for placements? Even if you take A Levels in January, you won't get results back until March. You can enter for A Level exams as a private candidate at a college (i.e. no teaching, just exams), but some don't like taking private candidates. Start with City of Bristol College, Filton College and St Brendan's Sixth Form, and if they won't take you then try some of the local school sixth forms (e.g. North Bristol Post 16). Going back to your own school / college may also be an option, assuming you left on good enough terms.

However, one A Level won't get you 200 UCAS points - you'll need to do two full A levels, realistically. Obviously it goes without saying that you should pick the exam board / syllabus based on how closely it matches your uni studies.
Reply 5
Original post by Origami Bullets
I presume this is to start in 2014? What's the deadline for placements?.

Didn't really consider this, guess i'll just have to ring places and explain whats happened. And hope that they see past my A level results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending