The Student Room Group

A-Level Chemistry?

Okay so I'm starting college this September and I need to pick 4 subjects to carry on with. My first initial choice was: biology, maths, sociology and geology as I have interest in all of those subjects. However I'm now torn between geology or chemistry. Reasons why is because when I'm older I want to go into a profession linked to healthcare which is why I think chemistry will benefit me more- the only problem I have with chemistry is that I really don't enjoy it and I found it so boring during GCSE's! Anyways I'm really stuck. Advice anyone??
Reply 1
Original post by Khataray
Okay so I'm starting college this September and I need to pick 4 subjects to carry on with. My first initial choice was: biology, maths, sociology and geology as I have interest in all of those subjects. However I'm now torn between geology or chemistry. Reasons why is because when I'm older I want to go into a profession linked to healthcare which is why I think chemistry will benefit me more- the only problem I have with chemistry is that I really don't enjoy it and I found it so boring during GCSE's! Anyways I'm really stuck. Advice anyone??

I'm not entirely clear on what you mean by "a profession linked to healthcare", but most medical schools require a full A level in chemistry.
Reply 2

Unless you're doing a degree that requires chemistry eg medicine then do not do it if you do not enjoy it. It is a tough tough A level and the choice to take it should not be taken lightly.

I might note however that I enjoyed AS level a lot more than GCSE chemistry. Particularly physical chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
If you found it boring a GCSE then dont do at A-Level. Its a tough subject and if you lack motivation youd just fail.
Reply 4
Original post by BJack
I'm not entirely clear on what you mean by "a profession linked to healthcare", but most medical schools require a full A level in chemistry.

jobs where you work in hospitals- sorry I'm being vague I just haven't chosen a profession I definitely want to go into yet
Reply 5
Original post by adi19956
Unless you're doing a degree that requires chemistry eg medicine then do not do it if you do not enjoy it. It is a tough tough A level and the choice to take it should not be taken lightly.

I might note however that I enjoyed AS level a lot more than GCSE chemistry. Particularly physical chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah I suppose you're right. It's just that in 2 years time I don't want to be looking back and saying 'I wish I just picked chemistry'. Hopefully it won't limit me from all the options related to the field of work I want to go in.
So what other subjects did you do along with Chemistry? :smile:
Reply 6
yeah I suppose you're right. It's just that in 2 years time I don't want to be looking back and saying 'I wish I just picked chemistry'. Hopefully it won't limit me from all the options related to the field of work I want to go in.
So what other subjects did you do along with Chemistry? :smile:

I did physics, maths and economics alongside chemistry.
By all means look at the course outline on an exam board's website and see if any of it takes your interest, but if it doesn't trust me you will not regret not picking chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found it boring at gcse too but that was more due to my teacher than the subject itself.
I still took it for a level and am soo glad I did, I wouldn't have been able to get into uni otherwise and found it a lot more interesting at a level. It's a tough subject so think about it carefully.

Hello. As a disclaimer, I'm a 3rd year chemistry student, so I'm pretty biased here.

That said, I would try to avoid letting GCSE chemistry put you off the subject. I don't want to devalue what you've done so far, but GCSE chemistry doesn't (from what I've read in a quick check around bbc bitesize, and what I can remember) contain a whole lot of actual chemistry, and tends more towards rote learning of a few reactions.

A-level is better, though there will remain elements of memorization. You'll be introduced to a more accurate picture of the atom (do they still teach the 2-8-8-2 thing at GCSE?) and from that you'll start to look at what makes chemistry really work. You'll also hit more organic chemistry, the stuff which really matters for the healthcare applications, as that's where the drug chemistry is done.
dont do Biology! Save yourself. You need to memorize alot of **** for the exam which requires alot of time, then it plays no use to you due to the bull**** application questions and "How science work questions"
Original post by Badman1231
dont do Biology! Save yourself. You need to memorize alot of **** for the exam which requires alot of time, then it plays no use to you due to the bull**** application questions and "How science work questions"

she was asking about chemistry lol.
Reply 11
Original post by needtosucceed=)
I found it boring at gcse too but that was more due to my teacher than the subject itself.
I still took it for a level and am soo glad I did, I wouldn't have been able to get into uni otherwise and found it a lot more interesting at a level. It's a tough subject so think about it carefully.

yeah that's why I am for picking Chemistry, my sister even told me it'll help me in the long-term.. but i've decided not to pick it. I'll just try and exceed in bio and maths hopefully! so what did you do along side chemistry??
yeah that's why I am for picking Chemistry, my sister even told me it'll help me in the long-term.. but i've decided not to pick it. I'll just try and exceed in bio and maths hopefully! so what did you do along side chemistry??

ahh really, well what do you want to do in the future? chemistrys good for most uni courses really as it's one of the most/the most academic a level subject. I also took biology, maths and business studies :smile:
Well if you're heading for the healthcare route, Chemistry makes a lot more sense than Geology and, as said before, most (if not all) mid- and top- departments require A Level Chemistry for courses related to healthcare. That said, Chemistry is a tough subject at A Level (the hardest of all in my opinion, especially when it comes to the exam questions) and without motivation and a genuine interest in it, you'll lag behind and struggle to keep up with it. Perhaps take a look at the specification and see if the topics studied interest you because, if you're happy with it and do decide to take A Level Chemistry, you definitely won't regret it - it's a brilliant subject to have (and in your case, quite essential).
If you want to go to medical school most ask for an A in Chemistry and an A in a second science. Some will say that if you don't have Chemistry to A2 it must be achieved at a grade A/B at AS and biology must be achieved at A2 grade A.

There are other healthcare professions you could go into including:
Allied Health Professionals e.g. Orthoptist, Speech and Language Therapist, Radiographer
Physiological Sciences e.g. Respiratory Physiology, Neurophysiology, Cardiac Sciences
Nursing and Midwifery

Unless you really want to go to medical school I wouldn't recommend taking chemistry unless you really enjoy it. I took it and it ruined my year. I hated it so much, it was very difficult and just bored me. I got a B in biology, an A in psychology and a U in chemistry. It didn't help me that I had an awful teacher. Only 3 people in my class got above a U; The highest grade achieved was a C.

Quick Reply

Latest