The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I have received my yesterday AS result and my btec and found out I have got an E in Health and social care AS and passed my btec shall I resit my AS health and social care and get into Nursing or shall I do a science course and get onto the clinical sciences as the clinical science degree only wants 2 AS levels or equivalent which my btec is worth I really need help. Then with the clinical sciences I can get into Medicince but only 20 get thorugh is it easy to get into it? or shall I not take the risk? with nursing I have so many benefits such as: tuition fees paid, many careers in nursing etc. and become a nurse consultant which has many similar roles to a doctor such as prescribing, examining or should I go into a foundation year which will allow me to progress to medicine, which 100 people apply and 20 get through to medicine, shall I take he risk?
Any advice will be helpful
Thanks
Original post by nadzworldz
Hi, I have received my yesterday AS result and my btec and found out I have got an E in Health and social care AS and passed my btec shall I resit my AS health and social care and get into Nursing or shall I do a science course and get onto the clinical sciences as the clinical science degree only wants 2 AS levels or equivalent which my btec is worth I really need help. Then with the clinical sciences I can get into Medicince but only 20 get thorugh is it easy to get into it? or shall I not take the risk? with nursing I have so many benefits such as: tuition fees paid, many careers in nursing etc. and become a nurse consultant which has many similar roles to a doctor such as prescribing, examining or should I go into a foundation year which will allow me to progress to medicine, which 100 people apply and 20 get through to medicine, shall I take he risk?
Any advice will be helpful
Thanks

Nurse consultants are not doctors,their roles are similar but limited. I personaly researched both and decided that being a nurse consultant was not for me.If you are happy to become a nurse consultant it may be worth playing it safe.

Do you think you will be able to compete with others with AAA/AAB in science A-levels.Many people on the foundation year that i spoke to had three A grades at A-level including biology and chemistry,this gave them a head start in those modules.

How much longer do you want to study for?6 years of uni is twice as much time as you would have spent in nursing school.Is the end result worth it?Do you enjoy studying enough?

In my opinion,I think that without science A-levels your chances of meeting the cutoff to transfer from foundation year are reduced.However if you go from foundation year to year 1 you can still transfer,and you will be more familiar with uni life,understand the course,how the tutors mark etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Stormclouds
Nurse consultants are not doctors,their roles are similar but limited. I personaly researched both and decided that being a nurse consultant was not for me.If you are happy to become a nurse consultant it may be worth playing it safe.

Do you think you will be able to compete with others with AAA/AAB in science A-levels.Many people on the foundation year that i spoke to had three A grades at A-level including biology and chemistry,this gave them a head start in those modules.

How much longer do you want to study for?6 years of uni is twice as much time as you would have spent in nursing school.Is the end result worth it?Do you enjoy studying enough?

In my opinion,I think that without science A-levels your chances of meeting the cutoff to transfer from foundation year are reduced.However if you go from foundation year to year 1 you can still transfer,and you will be more familiar with uni life,understand the course,how the tutors mark etc.
Hi, thanks for your advice, I don't see why those students had applied to a foundation year if they had AAA in and in their sciences, have you completed the clinical science course and did yo get into medicine?
Hi, thanks for your advice, I don't see why those students had applied to a foundation year if they had AAA in and in their sciences, have you completed the clinical science course and did yo get into medicine?

There was even a guy who got A*, A*,A*, A, A :eek:

Once even the chemistry lecturer said that the course was designed for those without science A-levels,and those with A-levels found chemistry a bit boring

Three reasons
1.Some people got higher grades than they were predicted,but the predicted grades meant they missed medicine offers so they had to take the bradford offer

2.Many that applied through UCAS for year 1 got moved down to foundation year. Like my flat mate interviewed and got into year 1.In Jully they phoned her and told her that they changed her offer to foundation year.They do this so that they can offer year one places in clearing.

3.Some people like me got the grades,but needed the extra time,to work on other stuff.

Yes I got into medicine.

Its not impossible to do well in foundation year without science A-levels.
You qualifications bring skills those with science A-levels dont have

-Health and Social care..will mean that some of the stuff in the Health and Society module will be already known to you
-BTEC work means you are more prepared for essay writing and stuff( coming from a science background I struggled to write 1500 word essays)
The ONLY grades that matter are those you get whilst at bradford.Some people with great A-levels thought they could sail through the course,they slipped up at the last moment,because they became complacent.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 44
Couple of questions directed towards anyone who may know the answers....

1. I know basically what you have to achieve in year 0 to be considered for year 1 of Medicine at Leeds, but in regards the Chemistry- if you achieve 69% in 1 of the Chem exams/ assignments, is it game over, even if you achieve 80% in all the others? I'm basically asking if it is a minimum 70% AVERAGE (for instance, 60% in one exam, 80% in another) in Chemistry you have to achieve, or do you need to get at least 70% in every single assignment/ exam?

2. I have seen in forums how focused on extra curricula activities Leeds University supposedly are (e.g. they like people who are captain of their county football team, highest grade piano in an orchestra etc). I feel like I have a lot to offer (a lot of insight and experience, persistence, decent voluntary stuff, personal traits etc) but when it comes to hobbies, I have some (swim 3 times a week, play a couple of instruments for fun, travel, will hopefully be active in a couple of societies at Bradford etc), but I haven't achieved any great status in any of them. Is this going to be a big pitfall at assessment/ interview for Leeds? Were the people who got accepted after interview generally those who had great sporting/ musical sort of achievements?

Thanks
Original post by medic_88

1. I know basically what you have to achieve in year 0 to be considered for year 1 of Medicine at Leeds, but in regards the Chemistry- if you achieve 69% in 1 of the Chem exams/ assignments, is it game over, even if you achieve 80% in all the others? I'm basically asking if it is a minimum 70% AVERAGE (for instance, 60% in one exam, 80% in another) in Chemistry you have to achieve, or do you need to get at least 70% in every single assignment/ exam?

2. I have seen in forums how focused on extra curricula activities Leeds University supposedly are (e.g. they like people who are captain of their county football team, highest grade piano in an orchestra etc). I feel like I have a lot to offer (a lot of insight and experience, persistence, decent voluntary stuff, personal traits etc) but when it comes to hobbies, I have some (swim 3 times a week, play a couple of instruments for fun, travel, will hopefully be active in a couple of societies at Bradford etc), but I haven't achieved any great status in any of them. Is this going to be a big pitfall at assessment/ interview for Leeds? Were the people who got accepted after interview generally those who had great sporting/ musical sort of achievements?

Thanks

You have two chemistry exams.The 70% is the average is for the whole module.So it is possible to get 50% in one and 90% in another and still tansfer.

I transfered and I do not have any sporting or musical achievements.
If you are going to mention sporting or musical achievements it certainly helps if you have awards or status in them.
Its better to do a few things really well,than many thing averagely
Reply 46
Thanks, that is helpful info and well done for getting the transfer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
There was even a guy who got A*, A*,A*, A, A :eek:

Once even the chemistry lecturer said that the course was designed for those without science A-levels,and those with A-levels found chemistry a bit boring

Three reasons
1.Some people got higher grades than they were predicted,but the predicted grades meant they missed medicine offers so they had to take the bradford offer

2.Many that applied through UCAS for year 1 got moved down to foundation year. Like my flat mate interviewed and got into year 1.In Jully they phoned her and told her that they changed her offer to foundation year.They do this so that they can offer year one places in clearing.

3.Some people like me got the grades,but needed the extra time,to work on other stuff.

Yes I got into medicine.

Its not impossible to do well in foundation year without science A-levels.
You qualifications bring skills those with science A-levels dont have

-Health and Social care..will mean that some of the stuff in the Health and Society module will be already known to you
-BTEC work means you are more prepared for essay writing and stuff( coming from a science background I struggled to write 1500 word essays)
The ONLY grades that matter are those you get whilst at bradford.Some people with great A-levels thought they could sail through the course,they slipped up at the last moment,because they became complacent.
Ok Thank you do you have to sit a UKCAT test, is it just medicine that you can get into or other degrees and if I did do the foundation year and did not get into leeds could I try again in year 1 or would I just have to continue the clinical science degree? I have also phoned the admission at the University they said that it is mostly for people who want to study medicine + is there any tips or things that I could include in my personal statement? Thank you
Original post by medic_88

Thanks
Hi as I hardly have any hobbies like the ones mentioned above, is it OK to get these when studying at Bradford in the foundation year such as learning how to play an instrument.
Hi as I hardly have any hobbies like the ones mentioned above, is it OK to get these when studying at Bradford in the foundation year such as learning how to play an instrument.

i did not mention any instruments,although i play an instrument,i did not do anything musical at bradford so i felt it was irrelevant.

-you could join a cultural or religious society
-are you interested in any arts and crafts...baking,model making,what ever(you can always show how it helps you demonstrate a certain attribute...patience,precision.determination
-you could take up a new sport, eg rowing,rock climbing or archery
i did not mention any instruments,although i play an instrument,i did not do anything musical at bradford so i felt it was irrelevant.

-you could join a cultural or religious society
-are you interested in any arts and crafts...baking,model making,what ever(you can always show how it helps you demonstrate a certain attribute...patience,precision.determination
-you could take up a new sport, eg rowing,rock climbing or archery
ok thank you, religion ir cultural would probabaly not the best. I am interested in arts and crafts and I might pick up a sport when studying clinical sciences foundation year or before?:smile:
And how r u finding medicine?
ok thank you, religion ir cultural would probabaly not the best. I am interested in arts and crafts and I might pick up a sport when studying clinical sciences foundation year or before?:smile:
And how r u finding medicine?

Its nice so far.

I seem to be a lot less busy than those doing Clinical Sciences year 1.

How are you?
Its nice so far.

I seem to be a lot less busy than those doing Clinical Sciences year 1.

How are you?
Im fine thank you, is medicine tough and i have attended the open day todaay? :smile:
Reply 53
Hey guys quick question If you apply to leeds for medicine and Bradford foundation year clinical science say you get rejected from leeds and carry on with clinical science... but when your applying for transfer to medicine will leeds be aware of your a-levels as they must know from the preivious application will this be an disadvantage??????? for transferring across
Original post by June-2013
Hey guys quick question If you apply to leeds for medicine and Bradford foundation year clinical science say you get rejected from leeds and carry on with clinical science... but when your applying for transfer to medicine will leeds be aware of your a-levels as they must know from the preivious application will this be an disadvantage??????? for transferring across

I dont actually know the answer ,but this is what I think.

It is not a disadvantage because....

1.I do not think they cross reference applications.The transfer process does not use UCAS so it will take a considerable amount of effort to process the applicants and check previous UCAS applications.

2.They said they dont consider A'level grades

I know UCAS hold info for 5 years, but i am not sure how long Leeds holds aplicant info..so they theoreticaly could find out
Reply 55
hey guys has anyone got an interview for clinical sciences is itt a bad thing rearranging an interview
Did you apply to Leeds to do medicine? And then did they change your course? Or did you apply directly for clinical sciences at Bradford?
Reply 57
Original post by WannabeMedic123
Did you apply to Leeds to do medicine? And then did they change your course? Or did you apply directly for clinical sciences at Bradford?

hey if your asking me I applied for both
Hi where their people who did the foundation year and applied to other medical schools?
If so did they use their A level grades and so on??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Hi, I've been invited for a clinical science interview but I was wondering what sort of questions are they likely to ask?
Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending