The Student Room Group

Mental Health nursing application(Sept '14 cohort)

Hey!:biggrin:

So, I' starting my access course this September, and will also be applying to uni to study MH Nursing. I'm a volunteer at a MH Recovery unit(inpatient), and I'm looking to do a bit of volunteering with Samaritans. I was just wondering what sort of experience everyone else applying to study MH Nursing has, and which universities youre looking to apply to.
I've been to open days at several unis, including a MH specific one at Cardiff, yet I'm still nervous about having to write my personal statement & application. Any tips for the personal statement? :confused:

(P.S, I'm thinking Cardiff, Napier, Plymouth, KCL, & Edge Hill(edge hill because I like the possibility of a placement at ashworth!) in that order)
I applied to university last October and have just had my offer confirmed for child nursing at Northumbria. Writing a personal statement is difficult. The only advice I could give is to write everything down in bullet points that you want to add and try to order them before you start, then you wont forget what you needed to put in. Oh and include everything you want to be in then shorten it. Its hard but it makes sure that vital information is still in the statement. Since you are doing an access course I am sure if you ask on of your lecturers/teachers they will help you to make a start on it. The earlier you start the better because I can take a while. :smile: Good luck. (If you like I can email you a copy of my own personal statement so you can get the gist of the structure) Rebecca. xxxx
Reply 2
Original post by KelsiusMaximus
Hey!:biggrin:

So, I' starting my access course this September, and will also be applying to uni to study MH Nursing. I'm a volunteer at a MH Recovery unit(inpatient), and I'm looking to do a bit of volunteering with Samaritans. I was just wondering what sort of experience everyone else applying to study MH Nursing has, and which universities youre looking to apply to.
I've been to open days at several unis, including a MH specific one at Cardiff, yet I'm still nervous about having to write my personal statement & application. Any tips for the personal statement? :confused:

(P.S, I'm thinking Cardiff, Napier, Plymouth, KCL, & Edge Hill(edge hill because I like the possibility of a placement at ashworth!) in that order)

Tbh i only applied towards the end of June and that was for child nursing and opd,so my ps was specific to child nursing by some miracle i applied for MH through extra , i went for an interview and maths and English test last week, alot of people didnt pass the test so quite lucky and im starting in September. Just be yourself , talk about your experience caring for others , obviously why u want to study it, don't lie remember in your interview they refer back to it. you will be fine Good luck:smile:
hi there is there any financial support, grants or loans i will be entitled too when studying an access course to nursing , im 19 , live with parents ,, have a car to run and just cant see how im going to make ends meet when i leave my full time job to start college ? thanks
Reply 4
I'm not too sure, not to my knowledge. But I'm 20(21 in September), and live alone. I too have a car to run & bills to pay, but due to mental health problems receive DLA, which will hopefully cover the costs. You could have a look on your college website, there might be some info there :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending