The Student Room Group

George Zimmerman staged car crash

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bart1331
So if armed police demand you put your hands up, you're going to try running away from them or rushing at them?

People need to stop treating this as though it was a random person pointing a gun at another random person. Zimmerman was a watch officer and was investigating what he thought was suspicious activity. You can't just issue a broad statement that pointing a gun at someone is automatically an attack, because it isn't. As I have just shown, sometimes it is justified to point a gun at someone and you aren't classed as an attacker.

Ahahaha

He is not a police officer. For Martin, he was a random guy with a gun coming at him.
Reply 21
Original post by danny111
Ahahaha

He is not a police officer. For Martin, he was a random guy with a gun coming at him.

I never said he was a police officer, I said he was a watch officer as in neighbhorhood watch. It's irrelevant if Martin personally thought of him as a random guy. I have never met any armed policemen, but I'd do exactly what they said if they had a gun pointed at me - Even though they would be, to me, random people.
Reply 22
I never said he was a police officer, I said he was a watch officer as in neighbhorhood watch. It's irrelevant if Martin personally thought of him as a random guy. I have never met any armed policemen, but I'd do exactly what they said if they had a gun pointed at me - Even though they would be, to me, random people.

You're not that smart are you?

You keep saying that you would do this and that to a police officer. I say Zimmerman wasn't a police officer, and here we are again "I would do what armed policemen says".

You call it irrelevant and yet your entire argument is about police officers. Talk about irrelevant.
Reply 23
You're not that smart are you?

You keep saying that you would do this and that to a police officer. I say Zimmerman wasn't a police officer, and here we are again "I would do what armed policemen says".

You call it irrelevant and yet your entire argument is about police officers. Talk about irrelevant.

I used the police example as it's the closest comparison, but the point I'm trying to make is that this wasn't a case of a "random guy", it was someone in a position of authority. Someone in that position may be more justified doing certain things - If I pointed a gun at you randomly, I would be in a lot more trouble than an armed policeman who was pointing a gun at you for good reason, despite both of us doing the exact same act of pointing a gun at you. Zimmerman was a neighbhorhood watch officer, he wasn't a random guy. Though I accept the possibility that Martin didn't know this (I'm not sure whether Zimmerman explained who he was).

Zimmerman only suspected Martin to be committing a crime. When Martin started attacking him, what do you think that said to Zimmerman about his suspicions - It probably confirmed them. A law abiding person wouldn't be trying to smash my head into the ground and tell me that I'm "gonna die"
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
I used the police example as it's the closest comparison, but the point I'm trying to make is that this wasn't a case of a "random guy", it was someone in a position of authority. Someone in that position may be more justified doing certain things - If I pointed a gun at you randomly, I would be in a lot more trouble than an armed policeman who was pointing a gun at you for good reason, despite both of us doing the exact same act of pointing a gun at you. Zimmerman was a neighbhorhood watch officer, he wasn't a random guy. Though I accept the possibility that Martin didn't know this (I'm not sure whether Zimmerman explained who he was).

Zimmerman only suspected Martin to be committing a crime. When Martin started attacking him, what do you think that said to Zimmerman about his suspicions - It probably confirmed them. A law abiding person wouldn't be trying to smash my head into the ground and tell me that I'm "gonna die"

Zimmerman has no authority. Wtf is a watch officer anyway? They have no legal authority. A law abiding citizen wouldn't point a gun at someone else.
Exactly. So he must have been under attack already to attack the guy with the gun.

But you said you you'd jump someone who has a gun I was simple pointing out the vast majority of people would probably try and talk the person down.

It seems perfectly feasible to me that Martin attacked Zimmerman not realising he had a gun and then Zimmerman shot out of self defence. Whether that was necessary or not is the question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Zimmerman has no authority. Wtf is a watch officer anyway?

A neighbhorhood watch is basically the people of a neighbhorhood organizing together to try and stop crime in their area.

They have no legal authority. A law abiding citizen wouldn't point a gun at someone else.

Zimmerman didn't do anything that required legal authority. Even if he was just regular George Zimmerman private citizen, he would still be legally allowed to do what he did. If he was part of the neighbhorhood watch then that may explain why he felt duty bound to do something.

If all I knew about something was that "One man pointed a gun at an unarmed person and killed him" I would think that this was bad. But then if you look at what else happened, it is maybe justified. I accept that Martin might have thought he was being pursued by a potential attacker, like I said before I don't know if Zimmerman identified himself.
Original post by Walstri
Even before George Zimmerman's acquittal, the policeman Patrick Rehder's been posting pro-Zimmerman comments on Twitter and Facebook (now deleted), and the first officer to arrive in this car crash accident is guess what? Patrick Rehder! Apparently he tipped off George Zimmerman.

George Zimmerman didn't just happen to be in the right place at the right time. He was tipped off and deliberately went to the accident scene and Patrick Rehder made sure he got the chance to play hero instead of calling other police officers to arrive to the scene first.

The mother who was in the car crash is also rumoured to be related to Patrick Rehder. .

"Guys! Guys! An officer of the law, who had been sympathetic to Zimmerman's cause throughout the trial because he knows Floridian law backwards and can see why the Zimmerman trial was a ****ing pointless endeavour since the man was quite obviously innocent due to the overwhelming evidence in his favour, somehow managed to play god and staged a car crash (putting the entire family in danger in the process), then immediately got in touch with Zimmerman (who just happened to be driving in the area) despite never having met the man or knowing his contact details, and directed him to the crash site!!!!1"

Do you have any idea how retarded you sound, OP?
Reply 28
A neighbhorhood watch is basically the people of a neighbhorhood organizing together to try and stop crime in their area.

Zimmerman didn't do anything that required legal authority. Even if he was just regular George Zimmerman private citizen, he would still be legally allowed to do what he did. If he was part of the neighbhorhood watch then that may explain why he felt duty bound to do something.

If all I knew about something was that "One man pointed a gun at an unarmed person and killed him" I would think that this was bad. But then if you look at what else happened, it is maybe justified. I accept that Martin might have thought he was being pursued by a potential attacker, like I said before I don't know if Zimmerman identified himself.

I know what it is, it was a sarcastic question...
Reply 29
I know what it is, it was a sarcastic question...

Were you trying to prove something by being sarcastic, because I can't seem to see any reason for this. If you know what a neighbhorhood watch is, why ask what it is?
Reply 30
Were you trying to prove something by being sarcastic, because I can't seem to see any reason for this. If you know what a neighbhorhood watch is, why ask what it is?

My point was that you kept talking about authority and specifically mentioned he was a watch officer. So what? Makes no difference. He has no authority.
Reply 31
My point was that you kept talking about authority and specifically mentioned he was a watch officer. So what? Makes no difference. He has no authority.

Perhaps not legal authority, but it undeniably makes it different to a randomer. A neighbhorhood watch guy sees something suspicious in the neighbhorhood, as opposed to a random guy coming up to you for no reason and questioning you.
Reply 32
Perhaps not legal authority, but it undeniably makes it different to a randomer. A neighbhorhood watch guy sees something suspicious in the neighbhorhood, as opposed to a random guy coming up to you for no reason and questioning you.

How can you not see that this is bs. Some random guy coming up to you saying "derp im neighbourhood watch derp". Yea right.
Reply 33
How can you not see that this is bs. Some random guy coming up to you saying "derp im neighbourhood watch derp". Yea right.

Again - He's not "some random guy", he actually is neighbhorhood watch (or he was, at the time). Though I admit that Martin might only have had Zimmerman's word for this at the time.
Reply 34
Again - He's not "some random guy", he actually is neighbhorhood watch (or he was, at the time). Though I admit that Martin might only have had Zimmerman's word for this at the time.

Again, for the last time.

who

the

cares

?

This has absolutely no relevance.
Reply 35
Again, for the last time.

who

the

cares

?

This has absolutely no relevance.

Because it contradicts your assertion that Zimmerman was just some random guy who shouldn't have approached Martin. If Zimmerman hadn't done anything and it turns out Martin was committing a crime, people would be blaming him for doing nothing.

The bottom line is that he saw something suspicious. We know that he was wrong but we have access to information he didn't have so we can't fault him.

For the people who are saying they would try to beat the crap out of Zimmerman if it had been them - What do you think that would do for his suspicions about you? He suspects you of committing a crime, and you start raining punches down upon him, what is his thought process going to be - "this person is clearly not doing anything wrong, I must be mistaken"?
Reply 36
Because it contradicts your assertion that Zimmerman was just some random guy who shouldn't have approached Martin. If Zimmerman hadn't done anything and it turns out Martin was committing a crime, people would be blaming him for doing nothing.

The bottom line is that he saw something suspicious. We know that he was wrong but we have access to information he didn't have so we can't fault him.

For the people who are saying they would try to beat the crap out of Zimmerman if it had been them - What do you think that would do for his suspicions about you? He suspects you of committing a crime, and you start raining punches down upon him, what is his thought process going to be - "this person is clearly not doing anything wrong, I must be mistaken"?

No, it does not and he was just a random guy. That is my whole point. Being a watch officer changes absolutely nothing. It still makes Zimmerman a random guy with a gun. All it is is a self-appointed title. Changes nothing.

I'm sorry, but how can you still have not understood this?

And the part in bold, seriously, some random guy comes up to me, playing at tough guy, I'm not gonna be part of his fantasy of being a hero, letting him accuse me of stuff. Plus, he was most likely racially stereotyping. Would he have thought a white had "committed a crime"? Laughable.
Zimmerman has no authority. Wtf is a watch officer anyway? They have no legal authority. A law abiding citizen wouldn't point a gun at someone else.

He only pointed the gun at Martin after Martin had started attacking him, as he needed to defend himself. There is nothing wrong with a law-abiding citizen using a gun in self-defense, is there?

You'd think Zimmerman chased after Martin pointing a gun at him from reading people's comments about this. I can only assume they didn't follow the trial properly.

And the part in bold, seriously, some random guy comes up to me, playing at tough guy, I'm not gonna be part of his fantasy of being a hero, letting him accuse me of stuff. Plus, he was most likely racially stereotyping. Would he have thought a white had "committed a crime"? Laughable.

There is no evidence that Zimmerman "came up to Martin".
Reply 39

Ok so you've said what you wouldn't do, what about what you WOULD do - Would you hit him and then claim self defence? I'm seriously interested.

Quick Reply