The Student Room Group

UK student applying to US University 2014

Scroll to see replies

I'm thinking of applying to Goldsmiths, Keele, and Coventry. Those are the three I've looked at the most. I'm planning on studying either psychology or graphic design. If anyone has any uni recommendations based on that, I would love to know :smile: I still have quite some time before I actually start to fill out UCAS though, so I'm just searching now. I'll be applying in 2015, but I really like to get a head start on things!

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks for starting this thread! im thinking about virginia tech heard of it? i want to do medicine but im going to major in biochem and hopefully be offered some pre med courses. how have you guys gone about financial aid? Also ive checked out the college board website to take the SAT's but how do i book it so its for a UK center?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by nirali patel
thanks for starting this thread! im thinking about virginia tech heard of it? i want to do medicine but im going to major in biochem and hopefully be offered some pre med courses. how have you guys gone about financial aid? Also ive checked out the college board website to take the SAT's but how do i book it so its for a UK center?

I've heard of Virginia tech! Was considering it before! :smile:

You register the same way. Go on to google and search 'guide to SAT registration'. On the college-board website you click register, create an account, choose a test centre, choose a date, and pay.

Hope it helps, if you need more help feel free to ask.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP, have you looked into any other southern universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Coffeetime
OP, have you looked into any other southern universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually haven't :redface: !!! lol, I know it's bad! Could you suggest any that have Chemistry as a major?
Two weeks ago I had my mind set on the top/most competitive Universities - Harvard, Stanford, MIT, etc. Even though it is not bad to be ambitious, it would be an accident waiting to happen if I only applied to those institutions. So I have become more open minded to different options - both Public, and Private.

The only thing that I am thinking is that I might as well try to aim at some top Universities because there is no point spending a great deal of money on Universities that I don't really like/ won't give me a good education, when I could just stay in England. So I am trying to pick out a really suitable list of Universities, using all information/resources available.
Reply 25
Original post by nirali patel

Just something to bear in mind, from what I've heard it's pretty much impossible to do Med in the US if you're an international student..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Also looking to apply from the UK, I'll probably major in environmental studies or something similar :smile:

Currently looking at places such as Northwestern, UPenn, Trinity, and Yale :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by __itsamber
Also looking to apply from the UK, I'll probably major in environmental studies or something similar :smile:

Currently looking at places such as Northwestern, UPenn, Trinity, and Yale :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really like UPenn. I was looking through their website and I am really impressed! :smile:
Original post by CurtisDean
I actually haven't :redface: !!! lol, I know it's bad! Could you suggest any that have Chemistry as a major?
Two weeks ago I had my mind set on the top/most competitive Universities - Harvard, Stanford, MIT, etc. Even though it is not bad to be ambitious, it would be an accident waiting to happen if I only applied to those institutions. So I have become more open minded to different options - both Public, and Private.

The only thing that I am thinking is that I might as well try to aim at some top Universities because there is no point spending a great deal of money on Universities that I don't really like/ won't give me a good education, when I could just stay in England. So I am trying to pick out a really suitable list of Universities, using all information/resources available.

You should look at Duke and UNC Chapel Hill. Both are really good, although I think Duke is more well known.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
I really like UPenn. I was looking through their website and I am really impressed! :smile:

It's so wonderful! Meeting with a load of college reps next week (including one from UPenn) next week so that should be exciting! If you have any questions for a Penn staff member, I'd be more than happy to pass them on. :smile:
Original post by __itsamber
Just something to bear in mind, from what I've heard it's pretty much impossible to do Med in the US if you're an international student..

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah ive heard but i plan on becoming a citizen soon hopefully so maybe then it may work out i do have family here so hopefully BTW you guys should check out http://www.fulbright.org.uk/ look around on it they have a college day thing in the UK in september if you look in events you'll find more info and vice versa for the UK unis and also theres https://www.educationusa.info/ thats got info that can help with things check them out
Reply 31
awesome stuff peeps! I know that common app opens tomorrow.
I am such a rookie when it comes to essays. It is the thing that I haven't researched. I have seen some essay prompts, but I have no idea how to answer them! So I am going to keep on delaying it, or at least until I decide on colleges I want to apply to. lol.
Reply 32
Heya

I'm applying this year too. The common app opens tomorrow... eeek!

I have taken both the SAT and the Subject tests but I'm tasking them both again in October and November to raise my scores. (670CR 660M 630W, 700Lit, 610Math2, 590French)

I've been doing this all on my own so far so I'm glad this thread has popped up. I know I'm definitely applying to Harvard, Amherst and UChicago, but they are all competitive. I can only afford to go if the scholarships are enough, so that's limiting where I can apply to haha.

I'm studying like crazy for this. There's so much to do arghhhh!
Reply 33
Original post by feyy
Heya

I'm applying this year too. The common app opens tomorrow... eeek!

I have taken both the SAT and the Subject tests but I'm tasking them both again in October and November to raise my scores. (670CR 660M 630W, 700Lit, 610Math2, 590French)

I've been doing this all on my own so far so I'm glad this thread has popped up. I know I'm definitely applying to Harvard, Amherst and UChicago, but they are all competitive. I can only afford to go if the scholarships are enough, so that's limiting where I can apply to haha.

I'm studying like crazy for this. There's so much to do arghhhh!

Yesss! There is so much to do!! I need to inform referees too!

Which prep books are you using? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Yesss! There is so much to do!! I need to inform referees too!

Which prep books are you using? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I'm using everything from Barron's (2400, Math2 Lit and French) and the big blue books.

I honestly thought I'd get more done by now... so much panic omg.
Reply 35
Original post by feyy
Well I'm using everything from Barron's (2400, Math2 Lit and French) and the big blue books.

I honestly thought I'd get more done by now... so much panic omg.

In terms of books.

I have ordered the Math 1 barron's book and the Chemistry one too.

Then i have the red book for the ACT.

Three days ago I was panicking a lot because i was thinking 'what if i dont get things done on time' 'how am i going to focus on uk uni application too?' Etc. But then I read this thread on this website called 'collegeconfidential' and a poster that got into MIT was just telling everyone to 'relax, because everything will be okay'. From then I have taken his advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
I'm applying to University of Southern California, New York University and Stanford University this November for fall 2014. I'm taking my SATs in November so looking forward to that. The only problem is the loan. If I get a scholarship it would be way easier but I'm sure that I won't get the full one. So the finances will be harder to manage. Did you think about taking a loan?
Reply 37
In terms of books.

I have ordered the Math 1 barron's book and the Chemistry one too.

Then i have the red book for the ACT.

Three days ago I was panicking a lot because i was thinking 'what if i dont get things done on time' 'how am i going to focus on uk uni application too?' Etc. But then I read this thread on this website called 'collegeconfidential' and a poster that got into MIT was just telling everyone to 'relax, because everything will be okay'. From then I have taken his advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I guess, haha.

It's just so much though my ma keeps telling me to stop panicking but it's hard!
CommonApp opened today... commonapp.org

Good luck to all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by SuzannaS
I'm applying to University of Southern California, New York University and Stanford University this November for fall 2014. I'm taking my SATs in November so looking forward to that. The only problem is the loan. If I get a scholarship it would be way easier but I'm sure that I won't get the full one. So the finances will be harder to manage. Did you think about taking a loan?

I haven't really you know, I should definitely look into that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending