The Student Room Group

The McDonalds Thread Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tedster
Haha small world, hopefully gets sorted out today as I still don't have it :L

I had the long hair if you were wondering

Aha I know! And yeah fingers crossed, when talking to Paul, the big tall manager, just remember teamwork and you want to progress as far as possible!
Reply 41
Original post by Tomawilding
Aha I know! And yeah fingers crossed, when talking to Paul, the big tall manager, just remember teamwork and you want to progress as far as possible!

Thanks for the tip ^.^
Reply 42
What do people normally wear to their interviews? It's far too hot to be wearing formal clothes :/ Would they mind if I turned up in a blouse and beige coloured trousers?
Original post by Myocardium
What do people normally wear to their interviews? It's far too hot to be wearing formal clothes :/ Would they mind if I turned up in a blouse and beige coloured trousers?

I would wear black trousers. At my interview I had an OJE (which I didn't know I was going to have beforehand so was wearing completely the wrong shoes) - and because I was wearing black trousers they only had to lend me a shirt.
Reply 44
Original post by RibenaRockstar
I would wear black trousers. At my interview I had an OJE (which I didn't know I was going to have beforehand so was wearing completely the wrong shoes) - and because I was wearing black trousers they only had to lend me a shirt.

Oh thanks :smile: Was it an individual interview because mine is a group one? Also what sort of footwear would you recommend? I don't think I have any closed toe black footwear and my interview is in a couple of hours :s-smilie:
Reply 45
Just wondering how many people are there normally at a welcome meeting? Just curious :smile: will they be funny if I sit there with a cappuccino (from McD's of course!) in the welcome meeting as I have to travel 2 hours to it due to not owning a car lol and unfortunately I may be a tad tired otherwise!
Original post by curved
Just wondering how many people are there normally at a welcome meeting? Just curious :smile: will they be funny if I sit there with a cappuccino (from McD's of course!) in the welcome meeting as I have to travel 2 hours to it due to not owning a car lol and unfortunately I may be a tad tired otherwise!

There were about 10 people at mine, and they offered everyone a drink so I can't see that being a problem at all!
Reply 47
Original post by MrSupernova
There were about 10 people at mine, and they offered everyone a drink so I can't see that being a problem at all!

Awesome thanks :smile: I am kind of excited to get working albeit there is already a problem - I'm petsitting for my friends family (they live like a 20 min walk from my branch) but all I have to do is feed the animals twice a day which I can put around shifts but the mum runs a business and apparently on the Friday (which looks like it will be during my first week) someone is dropping their rabbit round and I have to be there to let them in at 2 etc and I didn't know until after my OJE. I'm meant to be working the Sat and Sun of my first week apparently and two 11-6's in the week (my BM said that's what he wanted me to do) and I said oh so like Mon, Tues or Mon, Weds? And neither of us mentioned Friday so if I get given it I may say I don't want to work Fri-Sun and want to swap my Fri so I can see my friends? Idk.

I bloody hate people who arrange things on short notice!
Reply 48
Still not got an email about the new time for my OJE next week, this is really taking the piss -.-
Reply 49
Original post by Tedster
Still not got an email about the new time for my OJE next week, this is really taking the piss -.-

Phone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Another great staff party! Shame I didn't get an award, again :frown:
Reply 51
Original post by Lostox
Another great staff party! Shame I didn't get an award, again :frown:

Ahh, what sort of awards are on offer? And I'm sure you'll win one next year!
Reply 52
Bit of an odd question but was anyone afraid of being around really hot equipment or large vats of hot cooking oil before they started? I have a bit of a phobia of really hot things because I try to avoid them as much as I can and I'm worried this will be a problem. Are acidents related to cooking common when working e.g. spilling boiling oil/drinks? And is the workspace spacious so as not to have people walking around being dangerous?
Bit of an odd question but was anyone afraid of being around really hot equipment or large vats of hot cooking oil before they started? I have a bit of a phobia of really hot things because I try to avoid them as much as I can and I'm worried this will be a problem. Are acidents related to cooking common when working e.g. spilling boiling oil/drinks? And is the workspace spacious so as not to have people walking around being dangerous?

I'm really bad with hot things! The hottest things I have to deal with as front counter staff are the timecards on the thing we use to get burgers etc from the kitchen to the front counter (on which note, I'd love someone to explain what they're actually for rather than just having a go at me when I drop one 'cause it's too hot) and sometimes fries
Reply 54
I'm really bad with hot things! The hottest things I have to deal with as front counter staff are the timecards on the thing we use to get burgers etc from the kitchen to the front counter (on which note, I'd love someone to explain what they're actually for rather than just having a go at me when I drop one 'cause it's too hot) and sometimes fries

Do you not have to cook anything as a crew member?
OJE tomorrow I'm quite worried

They're to let everyone know when the food in front of them should be thrown out, there's a 10 minute 'holding period' in which the food is still okay to be served after it has been cooked and placed in the bin.

Generally it's the kitchen manager who keeps an eye on time cards, as it's their side that is right (red or black number) and matches the clock, and they will tell someone on front to throw the particular food away.

For chicken it's a 20 minute holding period (actually this may vary depending on the chicken product, I'm not quite sure as I've never worked kitchen) but as it's made as its ordered these don't have time cards but have their own timers on the UHC.

I don't see why you'd get shouted at for dropping them, it's not like they touch the food, as long as they get picked up and get put down the side of the production bin I don't see the problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you not have to cook anything as a crew member?

It depends if you get put in kitchen or on front/drive thru.

Obviously kitchen people have to cook things, weather it's toasting buns, cooking the meat, dropping chicken, the only time I suppose you wouldn't have to cook things is if you were assembling the chicken.

Everyone will be expected to do fries though, as although you might work on front and there might be someone just on fries, there isn't always (during quiet periods) so people on front/drive thru will be expected to put fries down and box them up.

You will probably get burns, but only tiny ones, nothing to worry about :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SortYourLife
It depends if you get put in kitchen or on front/drive thru.

Obviously kitchen people have to cook things, weather it's toasting buns, cooking the meat, dropping chicken, the only time I suppose you wouldn't have to cook things is if you were assembling the chicken.

Everyone will be expected to do fries though, as although you might work on front and there might be someone just on fries, there isn't always (during quiet periods) so people on front/drive thru will be expected to put fries down and box them up.

You will probably get burns, but only tiny ones, nothing to worry about :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, no, no. Here is a pic of a blister I got from the grill due to a bit of oil spitting onto my finger, followed by what it looks like now, ~10 days later. It was my fault for getting too close while cleaning it, but I only did that because one of the managers was walking around shouting at everyone to speed up :frown:
Reply 59
I hate days with no soft drinks -____- And since our shake syrups run off CO2 (don't know if it's the case with other shake machines, but yeah) so no shakes either. And then we ran out of OJ and water since we were selling those to compensate. Then there were times when we lost oasis and BIM drinks. Crappy day.

And I hate people who don't understand when I tell them there's no fizzy drinks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending