The Student Room Group

The McDonalds Thread Mk II

A new thread for you guys, as the old thread has been closed upon reaching 10,000 posts. I've moved the excess posts above that to this thread. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NatalieRamsden
Oh hi. We should definitely be McBuddies :wink: You might know my boyfriend. He works back at Trafford now but he was in Urmston for a while and has come for a few random shifts there. His name's Andy Ramsden? Everybody calls him Chucky? :biggrin: x

Yeah I remember chucky aha! He was there when I first started two years ago :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannapoole
Is anyone else in a female minority at there store?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sort of, tends to be more on evening shifts though. There's also only a couple of girls (a crew member and a crew trainer) that do both kitchen and front on a regular basis. Most girls tend to do front.

But yeah, the later shifts (which I prefer) always seem to be more male dominated, then there's just me aha :tongue:

Like tonight for example, I was on the close with 3 other guys, which considering the close is cleaning doesn't always seem right (I'm not being sexist, and think its great, but you tend to think cleaning = woman)

But tbh I prefer working with the guys more than the girls really.

-------

On another note, I know I've gone full time but wow.
5 days in a row, with my first close Friday night and another Saturday and tonight.

Then I've stupidly offered to do a shift tomorrow, 11:45-8

Then I have Tuesday off, and then start my 10 day run with a few 7-4s and a close chucked in the middle.

Roll on the next couple of paydays. I should get my holiday pay on the next one too, which is around £400 :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrSupernova
The coworkers are what make working there alright, you'll only get made fun of if you're a ****. However, your posts provide no evidence that you aren't one (from your other discussions, it's fairly clear you're a troll though)

i am not a troll? what kind of stupid assumption is this

i could say ur a troll. how does that feel
Original post by study beats
i am not a troll? what kind of stupid assumption is this

i could say ur a troll. how does that feel

You just seem as though you've made up your mind that you don't want this job.

Grow some balls and suck it up, a jobs a job and no ones going to think any less of you for working there. But if you show an attitude that says you think you're too good to work for McDonald's then who says you'll even get offered a job? Chances are you won't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Can anyone please explain how McTime works? Like, how do you book/cancel shifts?
Original post by NeonV
Can anyone please explain how McTime works? Like, how do you book/cancel shifts?

It shows you the shifts you've been given? You can't just have whatever you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NeonV

Yeah there's a scheduling manager who does all the schedule for your store and decides when you're working. McTime just shows you when these shifts are, and you can see who else is working.

Occasionally you'll be able to book an extra shift, when there is a number in the corner of a date, click on the date and it'll show you what the shift is and you can offer to work it.

You can also post notice of interests on any dates you want to work, and see if anyone doesn't want to work and you do their shift, however people don't really tend to use this at my store.

If you have a problem with the shifts your getting, too little/ too many/ wrong days/ times that you can't work as you can't travel, then find out who your scheduling manager is and speak to them about your availibility

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by SortYourLife
Sort of, tends to be more on evening shifts though. There's also only a couple of girls (a crew member and a crew trainer) that do both kitchen and front on a regular basis. Most girls tend to do front.

But yeah, the later shifts (which I prefer) always seem to be more male dominated, then there's just me aha :tongue:

Like tonight for example, I was on the close with 3 other guys, which considering the close is cleaning doesn't always seem right (I'm not being sexist, and think its great, but you tend to think cleaning = woman)

But tbh I prefer working with the guys more than the girls really.

-------

On another note, I know I've gone full time but wow.
5 days in a row, with my first close Friday night and another Saturday and tonight.

Then I've stupidly offered to do a shift tomorrow, 11:45-8

Then I have Tuesday off, and then start my 10 day run with a few 7-4s and a close chucked in the middle.

Roll on the next couple of paydays. I should get my holiday pay on the next one too, which is around £400 :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Our store has over twice as many guys as girls and most of the girls are part time so we're always in minority but I'm the same I really don't mind working with more guys. I find them easier to get a long with and they have more banter which I like haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannapoole
Our store has over twice as many guys as girls and most of the girls are part time so we're always in minority but I'm the same I really don't mind working with more guys. I find them easier to get a long with and they have more banter which I like haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah exactly, tbh were probably the same, as we always tend to have a lot of guys on front too, as well as all the ones in kitchen.

I just don't think that it's a place girls see themselves working in aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by curved
Ah I would but we don't have a ShoeZone nearby :frown: and hmm my mum is offering to put £20 towards whatever shoes I do get as a little congratulations/job warming present as it's my first job haha and thus I feel like at £20 the S4C will be a bargain? Idk x

Everybody's different. Obviously you need shoes that have good grips and are anti-slip shoes. I tend to find that, with all of the grease and waste on the floor - mainly the mushed up fries that fall out of the box in the rush to get from the fry station to the front counter - they break easily so I would prefer to get cheaper ones. I've never really tried expensive ones for work and I have noticed that my colleagues do have similar shoes to mine that have been in ShoeZone. My first pair of shoes had a heel and they cost my Dad approximately £40. Whilst they lasted a long time, I was told by my manager on a visit that I couldn't wear them anymore so I had to rush out and buy some cheap. x
Original post by SortYourLife
Yeah I remember chucky aha! He was there when I first started two years ago :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That was when I met him :smile: We're coming up to our 2 year anniversary in October! And awesome :biggrin: We should definitely meet up sometime. x
Reading have seven stores I believe so there would be a better chance of me getting a job whilst at uni.

http://jobs.mcdonalds.co.uk/uk/reading-jobs

I was expecting to see an empty list, but it's good to know there's always positions available :biggrin:

Seven stores :eek4: blimey
Reply 13
Everybody's different. Obviously you need shoes that have good grips and are anti-slip shoes. I tend to find that, with all of the grease and waste on the floor - mainly the mushed up fries that fall out of the box in the rush to get from the fry station to the front counter - they break easily so I would prefer to get cheaper ones. I've never really tried expensive ones for work and I have noticed that my colleagues do have similar shoes to mine that have been in ShoeZone. My first pair of shoes had a heel and they cost my Dad approximately £40. Whilst they lasted a long time, I was told by my manager on a visit that I couldn't wear them anymore so I had to rush out and buy some cheap. x

Yeah I'm looking at the leather converse copies with kitchen grips :smile: however my BM is not keen on me being in kitchen or dining - he thinks I'm a people person and wants me on front or drive thru (yay) so I'm hoping they last a while. My welcome meeting is at 9.15 and have to get the 7.15 bus blah. What should I wear? I know it's informal but how informal because if it's still 30 degrees I plan on turning up in converse and a playsuit lol x
Original post by curved
Yeah I'm looking at the leather converse copies with kitchen grips :smile: however my BM is not keen on me being in kitchen or dining - he thinks I'm a people person and wants me on front or drive thru (yay) so I'm hoping they last a while. My welcome meeting is at 9.15 and have to get the 7.15 bus blah. What should I wear? I know it's informal but how informal because if it's still 30 degrees I plan on turning up in converse and a playsuit lol x

I wore leggings and a vest top, so you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Chewy29
How long does it take after you start for mctime to start working?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It took about 2/3 weeks after I started for it to show on Mctime. But my manager just told me what times I would be working and then I just put in on my phone to remind me :biggrin:

I got some from shoes for crews for around £20, and they've lasted me at least a year, probably longer. When I was spending a tenner a pair from shoezone to only last a couple of months, this was a much better investment, they're only showing a little sign of wear too, they're still very decent :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Man, I got given the wrong information on my OJE email, it said they would provide a shirt but when I got there they said they don't do that anymore and we needed a white polo shirt (I was wearing a blue one) so now I have to wait for an email to do it next week >.>.

I would kill the person who sent out my email.
Reply 18
Does anyone have any tips for group interviews? How likely are you to get a job if you've been invited for a group interview?

Also what documents would you have to take the interview (e.g. ID)?
Reply 19
Original post by Myocardium
Does anyone have any tips for group interviews? How likely are you to get a job if you've been invited for a group interview?

Also what documents would you have to take the interview (e.g. ID)?

The only document I needed was my passport, and for the group interview just try to speak up and answer all the questions they ask you and don't be shy.

Quick Reply

Latest