The Student Room Group

Can I Make Friends In Second Year?

Results wise for me, first year was fine. I passed all my modules and have advanced into year 2.
Socially though, it wasn't what I hoped it would be. I began the year living in halls, trying to make friends didn't work for me though, so I moved out before the end of term 1, because I felt my grades would suffer. I was really unhappy, and felt as if I wouldn't click with anyone.

Essentially what I'm wondering here is, is it too late to make friends with people at my uni, as they're all moving in flats and I'm still commuting from home?
Also, could I basically act as a fresher this year, joining clubs from scratch and making friends that way, or have I missed my chance?
Thanks
Definitely possible :yep: Most of the friends I made at uni were people I met in second year, through societies.
Reply 2
Of course you can. My sisters going to her second freshers this October.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I'm planning on going to freshers this year :colone: Both me and a friend totally failed last year, so in theory we're going to actually go to societies this year and have a whale of a time :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by SGP13
Results wise for me, first year was fine. I passed all my modules and have advanced into year 2.
Socially though, it wasn't what I hoped it would be. I began the year living in halls, trying to make friends didn't work for me though, so I moved out before the end of term 1, because I felt my grades would suffer. I was really unhappy, and felt as if I wouldn't click with anyone.

Essentially what I'm wondering here is, is it too late to make friends with people at my uni, as they're all moving in flats and I'm still commuting from home?
Also, could I basically act as a fresher this year, joining clubs from scratch and making friends that way, or have I missed my chance?
Thanks

perfectly possible to join societies in second year. the one im a member of at my uni most members only became active in second year once they were settled in at uni. And I've made a couple of course friends this year as well.
Reply 5
Thanks guys, you've really helped put me at ease. I always hear people talking about the great social side of uni and was worried I'd never experience it!
Reply 6
Yeah, go for it. Just pick some societies (don't even have to be ones you're particularly interested in now - I've somehow managed to wind up in the folk dancing society, and I think I may technically be a founding member of the Harry Potter society), and go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest