The Student Room Group

Sheffield or Leicester???

Hi!
Ive been racking my brains out and worrying for months about my choice for uni so i was hoping someone could reassure me or make it easier... Ive put Uni of Leicester as my firm and Sheffield as my insurance- both are the same grades AAB for English. I love leicester as im not much of a party girl, the campus is lovely, the people were SO welcoming and friendly and the course is great the only this that sheffield has over it is the general reputation. Despite leicester being higher than sheffield in majority of the league tables, when i tell people im going to leicester i get the feeling it isnt really well regarded because of the reputation of the city. Sheffield is beautiful too but im totally stuck on where i should be... alternatively i could take a gap year and decide later on :/
Can anyone reassure me or sway my decision? as ive rang ucas and theyve said i can change my choice on results day...
Thankyou!!!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Sheffield > Leicester

If your going by pure rep, but at the end of the day you still need to get that 2.1 employers are looking for.
Original post by hayley1202
Hi!
Ive been racking my brains out and worrying for months about my choice for uni so i was hoping someone could reassure me or make it easier... Ive put Uni of Leicester as my firm and Sheffield as my insurance- both are the same grades AAB for English. I love leicester as im not much of a party girl, the campus is lovely, the people were SO welcoming and friendly and the course is great the only this that sheffield has over it is the general reputation. Despite leicester being higher than sheffield in majority of the league tables, when i tell people im going to leicester i get the feeling it isnt really well regarded because of the reputation of the city. Sheffield is beautiful too but im totally stuck on where i should be... alternatively i could take a gap year and decide later on :/
Can anyone reassure me or sway my decision? as ive rang ucas and theyve said i can change my choice on results day...
Thankyou!!!!

everything you've said you liked about Leicester is true of Sheffield.
Reply 3
Hi!
Thankyou!!!!

I've just finished at Leicester so ask me any qs if you want :smile:

If it helps I've had the time of my life there wouldn't change it for anything and my friends who did English seem to have secured decent jobs in the main.

Why do you want the general rep? If it's for a certain career fair enough, but remember for stuff like IB neither's going to be amazing and I know for my area (commercial law) there's little between them.

Generally I'd say go with your gut instinct and you probably won't regret it (I chose Leicester over Warwick on that basis, I haven't done).
Reply 4
Original post by roh
I've just finished at Leicester so ask me any qs if you want :smile:

If it helps I've had the time of my life there wouldn't change it for anything and my friends who did English seem to have secured decent jobs in the main.

Why do you want the general rep? If it's for a certain career fair enough, but remember for stuff like IB neither's going to be amazing and I know for my area (commercial law) there's little between them.

Generally I'd say go with your gut instinct and you probably won't regret it (I chose Leicester over Warwick on that basis, I haven't done).

I dont know why i care about the reputation tbh, i just like to think that when i tell people which university i go to they associate it with credibility and satisfaction- sheffield has that, leicester doesnt AS much. But that is literally the only think that stops me from being secure with leicester. Everyone i know whose been to leicester has loved it though! thankyou for your help- im trying to figure out what my gut is telling me haha!
Reply 5
I dont know why i care about the reputation tbh, i just like to think that when i tell people which university i go to they associate it with credibility and satisfaction- sheffield has that, leicester doesnt AS much. But that is literally the only think that stops me from being secure with leicester. Everyone i know whose been to leicester has loved it though! thankyou for your help- im trying to figure out what my gut is telling me haha!

Yeah, people really don't care that much at all. Even when my sister says she's at Oxford she gets a bit of an 'oooh you must be clever' but that is about it.

If you cared about rep because you wanted to go into something like IB, City law, consultancy etc. then fair enough think about it, but so far as I can tell the rep's of no tangible benefit to you, whereas going to the one you think you're more likely to enjoy is.
Haha, I was in the exact same position as you!! Then I went to both cities and very quickly decided that I preferred Sheffield as I completely loved the city. Found Leicester a little bit boring to be honest and I much preferred the more vibrant Sheffield! But I am from London so I prefer more active cities :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Mar-Love-it
Haha, I was in the exact same position as you!! Then I went to both cities and very quickly decided that I preferred Sheffield as I completely loved the city. Found Leicester a little bit boring to be honest and I much preferred the more vibrant Sheffield! But I am from London so I prefer more active cities :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha coincidence! Yeah i thought leicester was more pretty than active and vibrant! but im from nottingham so it kindof has a bit of both- im not a massive party girl anyway so i think the crazy nightlife of sheffield might be a bit of a waste on me but yeah i think i need to reevaluate the cities by visiting them again this summer..
Hahaha coincidence! Yeah i thought leicester was more pretty than active and vibrant! but im from nottingham so it kindof has a bit of both- im not a massive party girl anyway so i think the crazy nightlife of sheffield might be a bit of a waste on me but yeah i think i need to reevaluate the cities by visiting them again this summer..

Haha yeah fair enough, but I just preferred Sheffield in general not even for the nightlife (although it does look a lot better). For me personally the place was by far the most important thing when choosing, although I'm doing physics and I don't think the syllabus varies too much between uni's so i didnt really have to take the course into account. What about yours?? And yeah I'd defo go to the cities again, your going to be there for 3 years at least so you want to make sure it's the right place for you​.

Quick Reply

Latest