The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My point is, if you want to use an excersize bike for fun then do it,not that i find it fun, but dont try and use it to build fitness, because you will fail. You will hardly see any improvment.
If youre proper fat and ugly, use your bike inside till you get fit then go outside :biggrin: Problem solved.
Reply 22
exactly, ive been using my exercise bike for years and , as long as you warm up and warm down correctly, ive not had one single injury - ever.
*titanium*
My point is, if you want to use an excersize bike for fun then do it,not that i find it fun, but dont try and use it to build fitness, because you will fail. You will hardly see any improvment.

I disagree with you again - any form of CV exercise will help to improve your fitness, whether it is inside in an artificial setting or outside in a natural, realistic setting - you are obviously biased towards outdoor cycling because that is what you do, but saying exercising indoors won't build your fitness is false.
Reply 24
wait *titanium* and lovelee-jublee are arguing about the same thing in two threads lol :biggrin:
Reply 25
*titanium*

i lost 3 stone by exercising on my bike and ran in race for life this year and will do marathon next year, so i think that an improvement
dh00001
lol :rofl: that was so funny. i would rep u but after anon neg rep its now worthless :biggrin: sorry

Haha, nevermind, the satisfaction that I'm not the only one who thinks this guy is a twit is good enough :p:
I didnt say that it flat out wont, but if you are of average fitness levle, you will not see dramatic increases.
Scarlett49
i lost 3 stone by exercising on my bike and ran in race for life this year and will do marathon next year

Thank you, a perfect example of how using an exercise bike can be beneficial - extremely beneficial if you are now fit enough/becoming fit enough to do the Marathon.

So stick that on your saddle *titanium* :eviltongu
Reply 29
It's true that some serious cyclists use a stationary bike for training but that is only when the conditions prevent them from training outside. This is because training outside is simply better. It is also impossible to quantify the benefits of experiencing new places, sensations, conditions, meeting people, improving confidence etc etc that you do not get from staying in your living room. If you want to get fit, at some stage you really should leave the house.

edit: Oh and didn't Jade Goody do the marathon...?
*titanium*
I didnt say that it flat out wont, but if you are of average fitness levle, you will not see dramatic increases.

No, it depends on how you use the bike - if you work at a higher HR than you normally would, you will gradually improve fitness and therefore see results. It all depends how you use the bike - obviously if you ride it at a low intensity for a low duration, of course it's not going to work. Surely that's obvious.
There is a diffrence between loosing weight and gaining fitness, you can loose weight with out any excersize at all!
Reply 32
jose
It's true that some serious cyclists use a stationary bike for training but that is only when the conditions prevent them from training outside. This is because training outside is simply better. It is also impossible to quantify the benefits of experiencing new places, sensations, conditions, meeting people, improving confidence etc etc that you do not get from staying in your living room. If you want to get fit, at some stage you really should leave the house.

yeah but you cant leave the house and feel confident about meeting new people unless you are confident with yourself and if that means losing weight on an exercise bike then surely its worth it
Reply 33
jade did indeed ATTEMPT the marathon but collapsed afetr a few miles. I , on the other hand, will go the whole way thank to my indoor exercise bike
jose

No, Jade Goody didn't complete it, so if that was supposed to be a sarcy comment then it didn't work and was quite harsh.

As for not experiencing the outdoors, not everyone who cycles wants to do that! If someone is dead set on improving fitness/losing weight, that is the only thing that matters to them - they're not going to be bothered if they're not experiencing the great outdoors are they?!
Then that means you have confidence issues and has nothing at all to do with the cycling.
Reply 36
this thread had nothing to do with cycling. it was about exercise programs.......... once upon a time that is
*titanium*
Then that means you have confidence issues and has nothing at all to do with the cycling.

I think you're drifting away from the whole point of this thread. The only reason confidence issues were introduced was a reason why people may not want to cycle outside, an issue brought up by you which was in fact irrelevant.
LJ when 2 experinced cyclists tell you, that you can not gain high levles of fitness on an excersize bike, and you yourself have no real experince, dont you think you should swallow your pride and realise that you can not be right 100% of the time.

There are areas i dont know much about but cycling happens to be one i know lots about.
dh00001
this thread had nothing to do with cycling. it was about exercise programs.......... once upon a time that is

I know - it's partly my fault for going on, but this person is frustrating in the fact he thinks you can only cycle outdoors :mad:

I've tried to find some exercise bike programmes but can;t seem to find any... will keep looking :smile: