The Student Room Group

South African chef 'too fat' to live in New Zealand

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23475583
Authorities in New Zealand have told a South African chef he is too fat to be allowed to live in the country.

Immigration officials said Albert Buitenhuis, who weighs 130kg (286 pounds), did not have "an acceptable standard of health".

He now faces expulsion despite shedding 30kg since he moved to the city of Christchurch six years ago.

New Zealand has one of the highest obesity rates in the developed world, with nearly 30% of people overweight.

Mr Buitenhuis and his wife, Marthie, moved from South Africa to Christchurch in 2007. At the time, the chef weighed 160kg.

Until now, their annual work visas had been renewed with "very little problem", his wife said.

"We applied year after year and there were no issues," she said.

"They never mentioned Albert's weight or his health once and he was a lot heavier then."

But in early May, the couple was told their work visas had been declined because of Mr Buitenhuis's weight.

"The irony is that at the moment he weighs less than when we first arrived in New Zealand and also less than in his first medical, which was accepted by [immigration authorities]," his wife said.

The couple has appealed to New Zealand's immigration minister, citing the chef's recent weight loss.

An immigration spokesman said Mr Buitenhuis's application had been rejected because his obesity put him at "significant risk" of complications including diabetes, hypertension and heart disease.

"It is important that all migrants have an acceptable standard of health to minimise costs and demands on New Zealand's health services," he said.

If theyre going along this line if deportation theyre going to have to expel almost every Moari, Samoan, Tongan etc.... or basically every islander. Just because one chefs is a bit of chunky monkey doesnt mean he should be deported right? i mean i get there stance on cancerpatients and the like but this... they we have plenty of whales living around the place doingNOTHING atleast this fellow has a job deport the lazy ****ers who scrounge off of our benefits not him he pays his taxes etc. disgraceful.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Get rid of the 'whales' you can get rid of. Sure, he's got a job, but a resident Kiwi could do it, meaning one less native out of work (even if not directly, through a chain of promotions), and one less person for social infrastructure to cater for. Plus being unhealthy would increase the likelihood of him needing services. Though I have to admit I don't know much about Kiwi healthcare and so on, unless he is being overcharged for his healthcare to subsidise natives', it's better for their system if he is not there to burden it.
Reply 2
Isn't this discrimination?
Reply 3
There's obviously more to the story than this, New Zealand's population would decrease by about 20% if they were to get rid of all the fatties...
Reply 4
Original post by Hopple
Get rid of the 'whales' you can get rid of. Sure, he's got a job, but a resident Kiwi could do it, meaning one less native out of work (even if not directly, through a chain of promotions), and one less person for social infrastructure to cater for. Plus being unhealthy would increase the likelihood of him needing services. Though I have to admit I don't know much about Kiwi healthcare and so on, unless he is being overcharged for his healthcare to subsidise natives', it's better for their system if he is not there to burden it.

technically he's not a kiwi so he can be deported either way i find it ridiculous considering the islanders are twice that size...
Original post by Snakebite

IMO it is but apprently its okay... although if they were to apply this to all migrants almost all of the islanders would be on a ship back home..
Reply 5

No more discrimination than the existing policy of refusing visas to people without employable skills.

Original post by rcummins1
There's obviously more to the story than this, New Zealand's population would decrease by about 20% if they were to get rid of all the fatties...

Indigenous "fatties" are different to migrant "fatties".
Reply 6

Obviously, they're deciding who can come and stay in the country, which any border control agency does. Unless they were to allow or refuse everyone, there's going to be discrimination.
Original post by rcummins1

They don't want to overburden their health system, so are getting rid of some of the riskier people.
Reply 7
Says he doesnt meet an acceptable standard of health, couldnt that mean more than just being fat?
Reply 8
Original post by cl_steele
technically he's not a kiwi so he can be deported either way i find it ridiculous considering the islanders are twice that size...

Why is it unreasonable to get rid of a health risk you can get rid of just because you have greater health risks you can't get rid of?
Reply 9
Original post by Hopple
Why is it unreasonable to get rid of a health risk you can get rid of just because you have greater health risks you can't get rid of?

Because hes not an especial health risk... especially compared to some of the migrants here.
Reply 10
Because hes not an especial health risk... especially compared to some of the migrants here.

Unless he's of similar physique to an All Black (and even then, I don't think they weigh that much), 130kg is unhealthy and a more than significant risk of being a hefty burden to any health service.
Reply 11
Original post by Hopple
Unless he's of similar physique to an All Black (and even then, I don't think they weigh that much), 130kg is unhealthy and a more than significant risk of being a hefty burden to any health service.

my point was more than why half the Samoans, Tongans, Cook Islanders etc. etc. havent been deported...
Reply 12
my point was more than why half the Samoans, Tongans, Cook Islanders etc. etc. havent been deported...

Isn't there a special relationship between NZ and those regions with regards to migrants, and hence essentially have permanent residency?
Reply 13
Original post by Hopple
Isn't there a special relationship between NZ and those regions with regards to migrants, and hence essentially have permanent residency?

Yes and its a pain in the ass and a lot of New Zealanders resent it greatly and especially with regards to cases like this because in the politest way possible islanders are generally the size of road trains...
Reply 14
Yes and its a pain in the ass and a lot of New Zealanders resent it greatly and especially with regards to cases like this because in the politest way possible islanders are generally the size of road trains...

Perhaps this is the start down the road you wish to take, then :wink:
Reply 15
Original post by Hopple
Perhaps this is the start down the road you wish to take, then :wink:

Yes the problem is this guy actually earns his keep :colonhash: the bulk of the islanders [or so i hear im not privvy to the stats] do not :L
Obesity shouldn't be an indicator of how expensive they'll be on the health service. Yes it has links with diabetes, CHD etc. but it makes it more likely, not a definitive. It's like saying since statistically there's more black criminals in jail than white criminals, therefore if a crimes been committed you should investigate black people first.

This is unjust.
Reply 17
Original post by That Bearded Man
Obesity shouldn't be an indicator of how expensive they'll be on the health service. Yes it has links with diabetes, CHD etc. but it makes it more likely, not a definitive. It's like saying since statistically there's more black criminals in jail than white criminals, therefore if a crimes been committed you should investigate black people first.

This is unjust.

Your argument is flawed and borderline racist. Being black isn't a cause of criminality but being fat is a cause of heart disease.
Original post by peter12345
Your argument is flawed and borderline racist. Being black isn't a cause of criminality but being fat is a cause of heart disease.

My argument is exaggerated, also it's not racist, it's using it as an example, and yes, it is a cause of CHD.

I didn't say anything about race influencing the likelihood of you commiting a crime?
Reply 19
Original post by That Bearded Man
My argument is exaggerated, also it's not racist, it's using it as an example, and yes, it is a cause of CHD.

I didn't say anything about race influencing the likelihood of you commiting a crime?

The argument is about being fat being likely to cause heart disease and you compared it to correlations of being black and committing crime implying that being black raises your likelihood of committing a crime which is racist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending