The Student Room Group

Dressing up for a uni night out...

I'm applying for uni entry in 2014 and was just wondering if it's true that, after the first few weeks as a fresher, it's quite standard for girls to go out more casual? I went to uni in 2010 but was on a really small campus and all the girls made a huge effort to doll themselves up every night - tan, full face of make up, painfully high heels...

I like the more simple, pretty look and would much rather put on a bit of eyeliner and blusher, a nice dress and some flats!

It's a bit of a strange question I know, I'm just wondering what the situation is at your uni and which uni you're at? My sister is at Leeds and she says it's totally normal to throw on a dress and some converse and hit the clubs. I don't want to be laughed out the place because I never wear heels haha! x
Reply 1
Why can't more girls be like you...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
really depends on the venue, mainstream clubs usually have a no trainers policy where as the rock clubs/bars don't care what you're wearing. Though honestly if you're a girl 9/10 times the doormen will let you in regardless.
Reply 3
Most girls I've seen, it varies. Some dress like cheap sluts, others dress much more modestly. I'm like you and prefer a floral dress, tights, converse and cardigan.

You'll see a mixture whatever uni you go to, really.
As long as your rack is on display you will get in anywhere you like.
Reply 5
It really depends on the crowd you're with and the venue you're going to.

Personally, I'd chose the girl in t-shirt, jeans and trainers over plenty of make-up, dress and high heels four out of five times. However, a hoodie, sweat pants and uggs combo might be a little too much (or too little?) depending on the occasion :wink:
depends on where you're going - most nights its quite casual - nice but not OTT dress/ top and skirt and flats. However one night of the week we go to a place that everyone just dresses up nicer for, so thats when the heels/tan/huge eyelashes come out.
Reply 7
I go to Uni of Leeds and when me and my friends go out we always wear dresses/skirts/shorts and flats. The highest shoes I've worn all year was boots with a pretty small heel. The majority of girls I know in Leeds wear converse/vans/pumps rather than flats. You can still dress up the rest of the outfit :smile:
Reply 8
I did, some of my friends didn't. Do what you like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've done freshers twice and both times I was too overwhelmed with the whole "being in a new place" thing to make any effort. One night I literally wore jeans and a jumper to a club.
Reply 10
Here in Essex if you're not wearing heels then seeya!
Reply 11
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I've done freshers twice and both times I was too overwhelmed with the whole "being in a new place" thing to make any effort. One night I literally wore jeans and a jumper to a club.

What's wrong with that? :confused:
Original post by grt
What's wrong with that? :confused:

Nothing! Just seemed a bit out of place when all the other girls were wearing miniskirts and 6 inch heels!
Reply 13
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Nothing! Just seemed a bit out of place when all the other girls were wearing miniskirts and 6 inch heels!

I doubt they got more attention than you :tongue:
Reply 14
honestly just wear what you want. you will feel more comfortable and less like you're playing a part/ trying to live up to the stereotypical club attire. if anyone laughs at you for what you're wearing they should reconsider whether or not they should still be in preschool.

Quick Reply

Latest