The Student Room Group

Abu Ghraib (and another prison) mass jailbreak.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Apocrypha
Jailed because they were Sunni, total bullcrap, jailed for arranging suicide bombings in baghdad on a daily basis more like.

wasent 9/11 a bombing?
Reply 21
Who cares whether they were Sunni or Shia, absolutely no one deserves to be tortured 'like that'
I can't imagine what kind of criminals are roaming the streets of Iraq now. I'm sure some must have been innocent, but what about the others? As much as im against torture, I don't think that this mass jailbreak should be celebrated at all.

About the sunni/shia bombings... at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what faith they follow. Human life is being taken away. Families are being torn apart. I actually find it upsetting how there are "Sunni" mosques, and "Shiaa" mosques. You're both muslims, praying to the same god, reciting the same quranic verses... why cant you do it in the same place?? Its nonsense.
Reply 23
Original post by TheStudent.
I can't imagine what kind of criminals are roaming the streets of Iraq now. I'm sure some must have been innocent, but what about the others? As much as im against torture, I don't think that this mass jailbreak should be celebrated at all.

About the sunni/shia bombings... at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what faith they follow. Human life is being taken away. Families are being torn apart. I actually find it upsetting how there are "Sunni" mosques, and "Shiaa" mosques. You're both muslims, praying to the same god, reciting the same quranic verses... why cant you do it in the same place?? Its nonsense.

Personally, I feel as though this is a massive achievement. The media agrees with you though seeing as how little media coverage this incident was given.

Perhaps a few of the prisoners may have been criminals but I believe many were arrested because of the ideology they had.

As for Shia, some of them are way way off the religion. They're pretty much a whole different religion in that they believe the Quraan isn't complete etc. in any case, I don't know much about the bombings so I'll refrain from speaking. I believe many of the freed prisoners though have relocated to Syria (which makes sense)
Original post by Reform
Personally, I feel as though this is a massive achievement. The media agrees with you though seeing as how little media coverage this incident was given.

Perhaps a few of the prisoners may have been criminals but I believe many were arrested because of the ideology they had.

As for Shia, some of them are way way off the religion. They're pretty much a whole different religion in that they believe the Quraan isn't complete etc. in any case, I don't know much about the bombings so I'll refrain from speaking. I believe many of the freed prisoners though have relocated to Syria (which makes sense)

But why? In my mind, I can only see murderers, paedophiles, rapists, thieves..etc. being set free. I don't see how this is going to help iraqis who are still living in fear because of how unsafe the country is. (I reckon that the media don't want to give it that much coverage because of how embarrassing it must be to admit what had happened. The US have failed miserably with iraq. Left it in shambles.)

I really hope that what you're saying is true, and that the number of criminals set free were in the minority... unfortunately the reality is that we just don't know :frown:

Yeah, but ive always seen religion as a spiritual, one-on-one relationship that you share with god. I don't think anyone should interfere or impose their beliefs on anybody.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Reform

With respect, even if that were true, it doesn't hold any relevance whatsoever when considering the savagery and scale of these attacks. Murder, torture, and physical violence: if one is a crime against a Sunni it is a crime against a Shiite.

As a side note, my definition of religion is the collective teachings of the Scripture and the sayings of the Prophet only. Anything that comes from someone after the Prophet shouldn't be part of religion, but is opinion and thought. So we may follow the teachings of the Companions, the early Muslims, and the Holy Household if they coincide with the Scripture and if they make good sense to us, and we may ignore them if they don't make sense.

A good Muslim will prioritise the sayings of the Prophet over the fatwas (opinions) of religious clerks.
Do not turn back after my death as disbelievers, each of you striking each other's necks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 26
But why? In my mind, I can only see murderers, paedophiles, rapists, thieves..etc. being set free. I don't see how this is going to help iraqis who are still living in fear because of how unsafe the country is. (I reckon that the media don't want to give it that much coverage because of how embarrassing it must be to admit what had happened. The US have failed miserably with iraq. Left it in shambles.)

I really hope that what you're saying is true, and that the number of criminals set free were in the minority... unfortunately the reality is that we just don't know :frown:

Yeah, but ive always seen religion as a spiritual, one-on-one relationship that you share with god. I don't think anyone should interfere or impose their beliefs on anybody.

You know, it's probably inevitable that some prisoners were freed who committed abhorrent crimes. I believe however that the advantages of the jailbreak was greater than the disadvantages. As for those who were arrested by the Americans after the invasion, they're now free and the only 'crime' they committed was fighting back.

I honestly am ignorant when it comes to Sunni / Shia politics right now. Guess I've got quite a bit of reading to do. Personally though, I don't think they can ever come to an agreement.

As for religion (talking about Islaam here) it is both individual and is enforced by state (ideally). Again, I don't know much of the politics of whats going on in Iraq so I cannot comment just yet. So far though, among the rebels in Syria, Al Nusra seem to be the most organised and while groups such as the FSA are looting, they're trying to maintain security.
Reply 27
Didn't Abu Ghraib also temporialy house common thieves who stole stuff like flour etc, and they were also totured to I think?
Reply 28

I'm muslim and I agree with you 100%

although I do feel happy for the innocent people who were there and are now free :smile:
Reply 29
Things are only going to get worse...
Reply 30
Original post by Spaz Man
Things are only going to get worse...

The question is for who?
Reply 31
Original post by Reform
The question is for who?

Everybody.
Reply 32
http://www.aljazeera.com/humanrights/2013/08/2013851618340986.html

Insha'Allah this happens and they free the prisoners.
Reply 33
Original post by Reform
http://www.aljazeera.com/humanrights/2013/08/2013851618340986.html

Insha'Allah this happens and they free the prisoners.

Ameen.

Heard about this.
Reply 34
Original post by Reform

Incorrect, can I ask where do you get these false information from? Is it from those anti-Shia youtube videos? Or is it your local imam? Serious genuine question as alot of Sunnis seem to be misinformed.

Anyways can you provide me some sources of these Shia' attacks on Sunni mosques? Imho there isn't a Shia or Sunni mosque but anyways...

I can provide you several links where many Shia' have been bombed and massacred by the Sunni extremist groups in Pakistan and Iraq in the holy month of Ramadhan. Would you like me to?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending