Academic
9A*1A GCSE A in FSMQ maths, A* in EPQ 100% taken 2 years early
AAAAA at AS with about 91% average
expecting at least A*AA at A2

Extra and Co-curricular :
· Academic scholarship
· Model United Nations Team
· RAF Lance Corporal night exercises/leadership/shooting/gliding twice
· All three levels of DofE complete (by then)
· Rugby school team and perhaps table tennis for leisure.
· Student listener.
· First aid

Voluntering + Work experience:
· 6 weeks work experience at GP surgery and also part time job as an admin assistant for 6 months now.
· 1 week hospital work experience.
· 2 weeks pharmacy work experience
· 3 weeks dental work experience.
· 3 months volunteering at Residential home
· Volunteering at nursing home.

Gap Year Plans:
· Intend/hope to volunteer at an orphanage in Myanmar or International school, then perhaps a hill trekking in Putao.

Last year I got 725 UKCAT band 2, but provided that I get 750 band 1 this year what score would I get?

Should I apply with these stats?

Should I apply with a UKCAT less than 750?

No, becuase your stats have frightened me and I have no idea what you ask this question...

thanks!! you sure? because id get top third academic,
top band for sjt
second band for ukcat
a good ps and I could get top band for that
but seen so many people on here get rejected who seem to have top band for everything it just makes me **** the bed
Original post by JackTeh96
No, becuase your stats have frightened me and I have no idea what you ask this question...

Seriously..I have seen people in the past get rejected with like 805 UKCAT Band 1 and 13A*
Original post by solarplexus
Seriously..I have seen people in the past get rejected with like 805 UKCAT Band 1 and 13A*

tbf that must just be that they have a poor personal statement and 13A* gets the same points as 8A* and 805 gets the same points as 750
but I know what you mean, competitive

wanna know the answer to this too, 720 band 1 so think it might be too low maybe...
Original post by qwertymed
wanna know the answer to this too, 720 band 1 so think it might be too low maybe...

You Scottish?

Is it less advantageous to be from England when applyinfg
You Scottish?

Is it less advantageous to be from England when applyinfg

not Scottish, don't know tbh. fewer places for English people but I don't know the difference in applicant:tongue:lace ratios for English vs Scottish applicants. anybody know the answer?
Do I have a chance this year UK student a100:

Academic
9A*1A GCSE A in FSMQ maths, A* in EPQ 100% taken 2 years early
AAAAA at AS with about 91% average
expecting at least A*AA at A2

Extra and Co-curricular :
· Academic scholarship
· Model United Nations Team
· RAF Lance Corporal night exercises/leadership/shooting/gliding twice
· All three levels of DofE complete (by then)
· Rugby school team and perhaps table tennis for leisure.
· Student listener.
· First aid

Voluntering + Work experience:
· 6 weeks work experience at GP surgery and also part time job as an admin assistant for 6 months now.
· 1 week hospital work experience.
· 2 weeks pharmacy work experience
· 3 weeks dental work experience.
· 3 months volunteering at Residential home
· Volunteering at nursing home.

Gap Year Plans:
· Intend/hope to volunteer at an orphanage in Myanmar or International school, then perhaps a hill trekking in Putao.

Last year I got 725 UKCAT band 2, but provided that I get 750 band 1 this year what score would I get?

Should I apply with these stats?

I've got very similar stats to you and I'm applying hopefully so I'm sure you can at least give it a go! I have 9A*1A at iGCSE and my UKCAT is 752 band 1. I've got less work experience than you but a bit more volunteering and I'm not taking a gap year.
Original post by lilixxx1000
I've got very similar stats to you and I'm applying hopefully so I'm sure you can at least give it a go! I have 9A*1A at iGCSE and my UKCAT is 752 band 1. I've got less work experience than you but a bit more volunteering and I'm not taking a gap year.

Hi what are your as's like btw?
Hi what are your as's like btw?

Results come out in 5 days so I can't tell you that yet unfortunately :tongue:
Results come out in 5 days so I can't tell you that yet unfortunately :tongue:

Oh yeah of course! :smile:
Oh yeah of course! :smile:

I'm hoping for 4A's though. What did you get?
I'm hoping for 4A's though. What did you get?

last year i got 5A's (91% avg)
last year i got 5A's (91% avg)

wow that's amazing! I'm doing a 5th AS (further maths) but spread across both years.
Original post by qwertymed
thanks!! you sure? because id get top third academic,
top band for sjt
second band for ukcat
a good ps and I could get top band for that
but seen so many people on here get rejected who seem to have top band for everything it just makes me **** the bed

What's the point in a scoring system if you need 'full marks' for an offer. You'll do well if you can get that PS nailed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gryffindorgal
Does anyone know how lenient Edinburgh are with grades (English A level student btw)? Obviously i have to wait til Thursday to find out for sure, but I'm pretty sure i've missed out on an A in chemistry, hopefully only by a few UMS. Because of my ASs I've hopefully got 3 As in my other subjects so would I have a chance at still being accepted if I got at least AAA and then a high B in chemistry or are they really strict? Just trying to get myself prepared for Thursday :smile: Thanks

They look at your predicted whole A-level grades, and have a points based system:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1407672607.066029.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry I should have made it clearer, but i've received an offer and firmed it, I'm just worried about not making the grades by a few UMS and whether Edinburgh will still accept me

Ohh ok. Is your offer AAAA, and you're worried about a B in Chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got an AAA offer including biology and chemistry. I should get an A in biology and at least an A in maths (as well as hopefully an A in my 4th A level). If I missed out on an A in chemistry by a few marks do you think they'd still accept me?

Tbh, I've not really had much experience with this so can't say. Of course it is possible that they'll accept you but they have no obligation to. Definitely phone them up if it comes to it on results day, as you do technically meet the academic requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think that chemistry is the one you really don't want to mess up. That being said, Edinburgh are taking people off the waiting lists, so they might be more lenient. ( just my opinion)
Original post by micoshea
I think that chemistry is the one you really don't want to mess up. That being said, Edinburgh are taking people off the waiting lists, so they might be more lenient. ( just my opinion)

More likely than not, they'll just take someone off the waiting list who did get their grades instead. When I emailed them about what they would do should I firm them and then miss my offer (I had some very severe extenuating circumstances leading up to exams), they basically said there was no chance they'd take me with AAB, so for someone with no such problems I'd imagine the chances are smaller still, if that is even possible. They also said they don't accept A-level retakes from from candidates with extenuating circumstances with no exceptions, which is a ridiculous policy imo, considering that to my knowledge no other medical school in the UK says this

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending