The Student Room Group

Raising the bar

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Implication
Is knees coming in actually bad? I.e. what's the evidence? I remember watching/reading one or two videos or articles where knees in was explicitly advised in order to be stronger out of the hole, not sure if they were Chinese though...

I understood it to be more dangerous the wider your stance. If you're doing a wide, low bar squat its very bad, but narrow stance less so.

My knees are a lot healthier than most in the gym, I haven't had to resort to wraps or sleeves for additional support (wraps normally being for tendonitis though).
If you watch high level weightlifters squat, most of them will have some valgus collapse with a decent amount of their 1rm. (The Chinese tend to take better care of their lifters though, they aren't running a Bulgarian style system where you take 3000 lifters, break 2990 of them and the remaining 10 are your team)

Valgus collapse is more common in those with more feminine hip structure, and not always avoidable.

I don't know of anyone actively pursuing valgus collapse, but there seems to be differences of opinion between "some is okay with a narrow stance" and "absolutely none"
(edited 8 years ago)
all things gym article on chinese weightlifting

Tracking of the Knees

As for tracking of the knees, Coach L had a simple answer:

Try not to let your knees touch together when you stand up, because you’d get red lights in competition.

The idea of forcing your knees either outwards or inwards on the recovery of a Squat or Clean seemed strange to Coach L.

THE PRIORITY IS TO STAND UP WITH A TIGHT BACK

He said this is not something the athletes or coaches here think about, and that the*priority is to stand up with a tight backbecause that will make the weight feel the lightest.

Whether a lifter’s knees stay over the feet or travel either inwards or outwards was solely dependent on what felt the most natural to the individual, and the movement of the knees was never forced.

He did, however, admit that probably*most lifters in China keep their knees in the same direction as their feet during a Squat, but this was never something he paid attention to and so he cannot say for sure.

Yes it says they generally tracked, but it also says movement was not forced.

No one has ever brought it up with me before. There is some movement in other videos but nothing that severe.

https://instagram.com/p/2b0jWLIqqp/
For example.

Looking over some older videos I'd even argue that it has improved recently as I have actually started at least pushing them back out when it happens, before I'd just let them do their thing.

https://instagram.com/p/xrOURiIqhD/

This is the worst I can find.
Original post by Appeal to reason
Yes it says they generally tracked, but it also says movement was not forced.

No one has ever brought it up with me before. There is some movement in other videos but nothing that severe.

https://instagram.com/p/2b0jWLIqqp/
For example.

Looking over some older videos I'd even argue that it has improved recently as I have actually started at least pushing them back out when it happens, before I'd just let them do their thing.

https://instagram.com/p/xrOURiIqhD/

This is the worst I can find.

You were never particularly bad in the first place, really... it's just not a good habit to get into.
Yesterday: (got home late and forgot to update)

Snatch press
32.5kg 3x3

Snatch
65kg 4x2

Had to strap up for 2 sets as one of the guys who works in the gym who actually enforces the no dropping rule was there. I don't really feel comfortable lowering the bar controlled even with straps tbh. Might have a go at trying to get the rule overturned, because I refuse to attempt to lower jerks controlled if he's there on one of those sessions.

Snatch pulls
95kg 3x3
Was getting a nice pop at the top, which I normally struggle with.

Back squats
132.5kg 4x3

The guy who sorted out my programming has told me not to increase squat weights until after the July 4th comp (maybe there will be some intensity changes in the peaking phase, he hasn't told me that yet). I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it'll help speed, positioning and bring my classic lifts more in line with my squats, on the other hand, that's like 6 weeks of potential squat progress wasted. I'll do as he says though, if I'm lucky a month of working with these weights might get me a PB in early July.

Did a set of good mornings with the bar (gym was closing)
Yesterday: (got home late and forgot to update)

Snatch press
32.5kg 3x3

Snatch
65kg 4x2

Had to strap up for 2 sets as one of the guys who works in the gym who actually enforces the no dropping rule was there. I don't really feel comfortable lowering the bar controlled even with straps tbh. Might have a go at trying to get the rule overturned, because I refuse to attempt to lower jerks controlled if he's there on one of those sessions.

Snatch pulls
95kg 3x3
Was getting a nice pop at the top, which I normally struggle with.

Back squats
132.5kg 4x3

The guy who sorted out my programming has told me not to increase squat weights until after the July 4th comp (maybe there will be some intensity changes in the peaking phase, he hasn't told me that yet). I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it'll help speed, positioning and bring my classic lifts more in line with my squats, on the other hand, that's like 6 weeks of potential squat progress wasted. I'll do as he says though, if I'm lucky a month of working with these weights might get me a PB in early July.

Did a set of good mornings with the bar (gym was closing)

They're enforcing the rule more strictly atm because there are exams taking place in the hall next to and below the weights room. Doubt you'll have much luck trying trying to get the rule overturned until at the very least exams are over...
Original post by In One Ear
They're enforcing the rule more strictly atm because there are exams taking place in the hall next to and below the weights room. Doubt you'll have much luck trying trying to get the rule overturned until at the very least exams are over...

Yeah, have been coming in after 8pm for that very reason. Had another guy try enforce it today... After I'd finished and moved onto pulls haha

I really hope when they plan out the new sports centre they don't put the weights room next to an exam hall (not that I'll be here when its finished :frown:)
Yeah, have been coming in after 8pm for that very reason. Had another guy try enforce it today... After I'd finished and moved onto pulls haha

I really hope when they plan out the new sports centre they don't put the weights room next to an exam hall (not that I'll be here when its finished :frown:)

Even we had a no-drop rule for 2 hours a day for the past few weeks. Unis just use gym halls for exams. They have since the beginning of time, and they will until the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Even we had a no-drop rule for 2 hours a day for the past few weeks. Unis just use gym halls for exams. They have since the beginning of time, and they will until the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ours is like 8:30/9 am - 17:30
They're enforcing it even outside of those times though, they've let me get away with it since February, and they've only just started giving me **** for it. Fair enough my max c&js make a racket, but the noise my snatching and sub max cleans isn't as bad as the racket guys DLing 4+plates make.
Ours is like 8:30/9 am - 17:30
They're enforcing it even outside of those times though, they've let me get away with it since February, and they've only just started giving me **** for it. Fair enough my max c&js make a racket, but the noise my snatching and sub max cleans isn't as bad as the racket guys DLing 4+plates make.

To be fair its a gym though- I feel a degree of noise is to be expected. If people can't go on their cardio machines in the adjacent room because they are intimidated by a few weights banging around then that's quite pathetic IMO. They even have bumper plates for the express purpose of being able to drop the weights!!!

Was much better that one brief month that I used the uni gym when they had the separate dedicated weights room for another £40 a year or something with a lifting platform and everything.
At my gym technically you can't drop a weight. Including a deadlift as its intimidating. You've got to place it down lol.
I'm yet to be called out for it but I imagine I will be soon enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 810
Original post by Angry cucumber
At my gym technically you can't drop a weight. Including a deadlift as its intimidating. You've got to place it down lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ouch, I've had some deadlifts explode out of my hands when my grip fails, just slams down on the floor. At my gym we're allowed to slam the weights, as long as it's not in the power rack (bends the bar/safety pins).

We have bumper plates and 3 oly lift platforms which we're allowed to slam/drop. That's where I do my deadlifts. I come down pretty heavy on the decent so I'm glad they're relaxed about it.
You can get away with anything in our gym except filming. They've said they're handing out bans if they find stuff uploaded online lol. Good thing is that exams take place in the hall which is completely separate and away from the sports village

Posted from TSR Mobile
My gym allows dropping plates etc and filming. And has a nice comp bench. Allowed no shoes, chalk, talc etc.

It's pretty good and only c£20 a month. Probably more than uni gyms.

Only problem is slippery floor by the bench.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's **** lol. I'll tell you who the worst people in the world are, though: the people who are carrying a bumper plate around, or are taking one off their bar, and then just drop it on the floor flat on its side. It makes a ****ing gun shot sound, and they're not designed to be dropped like that. Stop being a ****ing inconsiderate bastard and place your plate down you ****.

Never heard of a gym having a problem with filming before, as long as you're not creepily filming other folks.
That's **** lol. I'll tell you who the worst people in the world are, though: the people who are carrying a bumper plate around, or are taking one off their bar, and then just drop it on the floor flat on its side. It makes a ****ing gun shot sound, and they're not designed to be dropped like that. Stop being a ****ing inconsiderate bastard and place your plate down you ****.

Never heard of a gym having a problem with filming before, as long as you're not creepily filming other folks.

#yolo

Lmao, I've done this before! :tongue:
Lmao, I've done this before! :tongue:

Stop it, dude. It makes more noise than the blokes dropping their 6 plate deadlift from the top. :tongue:
As before

#yolo
To be fair its a gym though- I feel a degree of noise is to be expected. If people can't go on their cardio machines in the adjacent room because they are intimidated by a few weights banging around then that's quite pathetic IMO. They even have bumper plates for the express purpose of being able to drop the weights!!!

Was much better that one brief month that I used the uni gym when they had the separate dedicated weights room for another £40 a year or something with a lifting platform and everything.

I feel like moving them back into the functional training room would be a good solution, the floor in there is already reinforced, only problem is the size.
Swapping the activity room and the S&C room would be the best solution I can come up with as they're both rooms of similar size, and the activity room isn't next to desso.

Original post by Squirb
You can get away with anything in our gym except filming. They've said they're handing out bans if they find stuff uploaded online lol. Good thing is that exams take place in the hall which is completely separate and away from the sports village

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, I've had one guy tell me to stop filming before, but most of them turn a blind eye. If you prop up the camera instead of getting someone else to film they tend not to realise. If that guy is working on a particular day and I want to film I just ask everyone who will be in shot if they mind, never had anyone complain before. I feel I could probably put up a good argument for it being for technique purposes.
If warwick started taking things down I'd have nothing on my instagram haha (I've even done #warwicksport a few times in the past, I wasn't even being discrete)
Tuesday:

Snatch + Snatch press
32.5kg 3x3+1

Snatch
65kg x2,2,2,2

Snatch pulls
95kg 3x3

Back squats
132.5kg 4x3

Good mornings
55kg x6,6,6
Gave them a go with a belt. Much easier. Back felt fatigued going in so cut some reps.

Today:
Clean and push press
70kg 3x1+3

Clean and jerk
90kg x2,2+1,2,2
God I hate doubles. Cut my rest short on the second set, rushed the 2nd jerk and lost it forwards.

Clean pulls
110kg x2
130kg x3,3,3

Fs
112.5kg x3,3,3,3

Good morning
55kg x8,8,8
The belt helps SO much, I can focus so much more on my glutes/hams

I was in and out in under 2 hours, which is pretty quick by my standards.

Might be getting some progress wrt the gym/space/dropping weights. Apparently some of the old equipment is in storage, possibly including the platforms. Also have at least 3 members of staff who think they should be brought out/generally back me up, so going to try bring it up when the manager gets back.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest