The Student Room Group

Raising the bar

Scroll to see replies

Leeds was sick. If any of you get the chance to see metallica live, TAKE IT. Was 2nd from front for Gojira and the 2nd half of Ghost. Amazing. Ghost/Metallica have to be 2 of the best performances I've seen.

Right knee/hamstring/whatever is going on back there finally starting to feel better. Was stiff as hell after spending all of sunday on my feet, but feels like its on the up. Might have a session on Thursday/Friday. (Giving it a couple more days)
Been doing some pull ups every other day in the doorway.
Mainly overhand AMRAP for a handful of sets. Today I got a set of 10 for a +2 PB. Also did some underhand chins, biggest set was 9. No right knee pain at the moment, even with hamstring tension. Maybe get a couple of sessions in in the next week or so.
squats:
100kg 3x5

deadlifts
warming up, did 120kg x4 and my knee started complaining again. Stopped there

Did a bunch of wrist work and left.
Up at like 76kg now... oops...
Original post by Appeal to reason
Up at like 76kg now... oops...

85kg checking in
Was 81 4 weeks ago

das it mane
I dunno what I am atm. Should be 83in a few weeks for nationals. Am Probably like 87.

Posted from TSR Mobile
73kg here

pls no bully
Original post by Angry cucumber
85kg checking in
Was 81 4 weeks ago

das it mane

I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one

Original post by Motorbiker
I dunno what I am atm. Should be 83in a few weeks for nationals. Am Probably like 87.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should be able to drop to that with water loading I reckon, or are you going to restrict calories as well?

Original post by tehforum
73kg here

pls no bully

To be fair to you, you've only just started lifting again after a huge break, what did you weigh before you stopped?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one

You should be able to drop to that with water loading I reckon, or are you going to restrict calories as well?

To be fair to you, you've only just started lifting again after a huge break, what did you weigh before you stopped?

Posted from TSR Mobile

12 and a half stone
The pain I've been having on the outside of my left knee might be LCL damage. Oh goodie. Given that I only feel it when applying pressure to the outside of my knee or crossing it over we don't think it's that bad. I'll probably book in for a proper physio session when I get back to uni.

Whatever was going on behind my right knee has died down though so that's cool.

Doing some swimming and cardio for the next couple of weeks while I'm away. Wanted to do some pull ups but can't find anywhere to do them, there isn't even a playground/climbing frame nearby :frown:
Going in to the health centre sometime early next week to get my knee checked out, unsure how helpful they're going to be as its not troubling in everyday use. Really just want confirmation that it's safe to do squats and dynamic pulls.

Watching Scotland - USA tomorrow, hoping it goes our way.
29/9
Wrist curls 15kg 3*20

Snatches bar x many
Wrist feels good

Panda pulls
40kg x3
60kg x3,3,3
80kg 2x2

Back squat
(Tested front rack in warm up - good)
60kg x3
80kg x3
100kg x3
120kg x3
140kg x2 HARD. Genuinely thought I wasn't going to get the 2nd.
130kg x2
Wanted to get an idea of where I am after 2 months off of heavy squats
Just need to get used to squatting again, my positioning is **** right now and it doesn't feel natural

Pull ups (wider than normal)
3x4
guess you got confirmation that it's safe to squat now? :tongue:
Original post by Implication
guess you got confirmation that it's safe to squat now? :tongue:

Appointment tomorrow
My knees were feeling good and the squat rack was free and I succumbed to temptation...:colondollar:
Nurse practitioner referred me to the GP as she said with it being older than 6 weeks it might be a good idea to get an MRI (subject to whether the GP thinks it necessary)
Nurse practitioner referred me to the GP as she said with it being older than 6 weeks it might be a good idea to get an MRI (subject to whether the GP thinks it necessary)

for future reference, anything lifting injury related just go straight to a Dr imo. NPs can't order scans or referrals to physio afaik
Original post by illusionz
for future reference, anything lifting injury related just go straight to a Dr imo. NPs can't order scans or referrals to physio afaik

Noted, thanks

Quick session today (an hour)

Snatch work with bar and then 25kg (tech plates)
15-20 mins

Clean and jerk technique 15 mins

Power clean and press
Worked up to 40kg 4x5
Wrist holding up well

Good mornings
Bar x few
40kg 3x5

Wrist curls
15kg 3*20
(edited 8 years ago)
Snatch sots
30kg 3x3

Pendlay rows (first try)
Bar 2x5
40kg x5
60kg x3
70kg x6,6,6

Glute bridges
70kg x6,6,6
"You just really like that new bar don't you?"

Some power jerk tekkers

Wrist extensions
3*15
GP says I'm okay to start building up the squats. If I get pain with loaded exercises I'm to go back and she'll refer me for an MRI.

Snatch work
Worked up to 30kg for lots

Power clean and jerk
Worked up to 60kg for 1+2*lots
Mixed up my jerks, did some power, some split.

Back squats
60kg x5,5
80kg 5x5

Good mornings
35kg 3x6
Only a women's bar free.

Front rack holds
140kg 3x5s

Chin ups 3x5

So I've heard that the local running club has a couple of platforms (possibly the old stuff from the uni gym - plyo boxes?). Going to try get in contact with someone and look round. Annoyingly its really close to campus (actually in the clubhouse for the running track) and like 3 minutes from where I lived in 1st year.
Power clean and press
45kg 4x5

Power clean + clean pull
60kg 2+2, 2+2

Clean pulls
80kg 3x3

Pendlay rows attempt #2
60kg x5,5
Still not great, chest dropping slightly
50kg x6,6,5
Better

Quick Reply