The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Mummyof2
Hi Becky,

What 3 bits of advice would you give to new students on their first day of placement?

Tina

Definitely get stuck in straight away, the quicker you start doing things the better the learning experience.
Ask lots of questions, even if it seems stupid.
Read up on things you've seen, for example if you've been setting up arterial lines or have seen a new operation you didn't understand read up on it during your break or at home just to further your understanding.

When do you start?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
I'm staring at Edge Hill University on the ODP course in April 2014 can't wait

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by laurenstacey123
Heeeey! I'm applying for Coventry, BCU and Cardiff! Have you put in your personal statement yet?!

I'm so excited! I'm in the middle of organising work experience, and as my best friends dad is an ODP, he's organising for me to shadow him.

The only advice i can give right now is do your best getting volunteer work in a healthcare setting. It's something to talk about during an interview, show your enthusiasm too!

If you really want to be a geek, there's this textbook i've bought called The Fundamentals of Operating Department Practice. It's quite expensive, but it basically covers everything the course can give us. ITS ALSO AWESOME TO TALK ABOUT TO AN INTERVIEWER! I think, i haven't even had an interview yet...

sorry for the rambling, im just really excited and hope to meet some of you soon!

I haven't even started my personal statement yet, because I want to put in some care experience and I start that on 7th October. Have you done yours, if so any tips? My brain doesn't seem to want to enable me to write one!

You're so lucky! My local theatres are having none of it, not even when they're not in use!

I am slightly geeky because I've already had a look at that book and was debating whether to buy it or not lol. Definitely purchasing it now :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by Mummyof2
Hi Becky,

What 3 bits of advice would you give to new students on their first day of placement?

Tina

Try not to touch anything with blue/green drapes on (unless you're scrubbed), this is usually sterile. Look interested, there's nothing worse when teaching someone than someone who looks bored and isn't paying attention. Put your giving sets in your 500ml bags of saline before pumping up the pressure bags (we had a student who fell foul of this twice, getting himself and a consultant's phone a saline shower in the process).
Reply 44
Original post by moonkatt
Try not to touch anything with blue/green drapes on (unless you're scrubbed), this is usually sterile. Look interested, there's nothing worse when teaching someone than someone who looks bored and isn't paying attention. Put your giving sets in your 500ml bags of saline before pumping up the pressure bags (we had a student who fell foul of this twice, getting himself and a consultant's phone a saline shower in the process).

Thanks for this! My cohort go out on first placement in January. I will be sure to share these handy pearls of wisdom with them :2euk48l:
Reply 45
I have just started the Access course and will be applying to Uni's for 2014 to study ODP. We have had a UCAS application talk today and it now all seems very real and daunting.

I have no idea where to start with my personal statement. I have been working as a HCA at a hospital for a year and now doing Bank shifts for the same trust to fit around college, it's hard work! I have also been very lucky to shadow ODPs for a couple of shifts. This included following the patients from start to finish so got to understand their full experiance. I got to observe laparotomy surgery, vascular, an amputation and eye surgery. I really hope this is enough experiance as to get the grades I need on the Access I don't have time to fit any more in!

I am glad I have found others that are applying as I'm the only one on my course. No one on it even knows what it is!
Reply 46
Hi
I am applying to study ODP at Edge Hill, Uclan and Canterbury Christ Church University's for sep 2014, however I have find out that you will need to do literacy and numeracy tests, can anyone help me with this please? is it hard? can I be able to revise before the interview if I can how? really want to study ODP! please someone reply me back as soon as possible.Thank you
:smile:
Got an interview for ODP @ Coventry for sept 2014 start, anyone else going cov next year?
Reply 48
Original post by kittykat185
Got an interview for ODP @ Coventry for sept 2014 start, anyone else going cov next year?

Whaaaat?! I've not even finished my personal statement :|

When did you complete UCAS and how log before Cov got back to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by Lt93
One unsuccessful so far! :'( :'(
Hopefully I get accepted in my other 4 uni choices >.<
I'm feel despondent after that rejection... It might be like that in my other unis... -sigh-
Anxiety is hitting me... OTL

which uni? I haven't even applied yet!

fingers crossed for the rest :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by becky77
which uni? I haven't even applied yet!

fingers crossed for the rest :smile:

Oxford Brookes :rolleyes:

Thanks! Good luck to you too! :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by Lt93

Did you manage to get a theatre visit before you applied? I'm really struggling to arrange one but don't want to leave my application too long...
Reply 52
Original post by JordanUK
Did you manage to get a theatre visit before you applied? I'm really struggling to arrange one but don't want to leave my application too long...

No :frown:, I asked the receptionist and she told me to email the manager and no response from her. -sigh-

Same here, I can't arrange a visit to shadow an ODP. I'm sure it's okay if you can't arrange a visit.

Have you chosen your universities?
Reply 53
Hi ive just started my first year as a student odp , not all universities do literacy and numeracy tests . I go to Bournemouth university and they didnt do either

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Laura1979
Hi there,

I have managed a theatre visit, I had a meeting with the theatre manager and a tour of theatres.....this was absolutely great and has made me more determined than ever. The manager said they understand the importance of potential students needing to attend for a visit.

Have you tried ringing a theatre manager and asking them for a chat? Or any advice on how to go about trying to arrange a visit. I attended Doncaster royal infirmary!

hope you manage to organise something soon x

I am going to apply to Sheffield Hallam in 2015, I need experience in a theatre setting, I can't seem to find any and also I live in Doncaster.

And if you don't mind telling, what did you do at A-Levels and what grades did you achieve?
Original post by Maryam26
Whaaaat?! I've not even finished my personal statement :|

When did you complete UCAS and how log before Cov got back to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

All health courses had to be submitted by midnight 15th October,Coventry replied 2 days later.
Original post by kittykat185
All health courses had to be submitted by midnight 15th October,Coventry replied 2 days later.

You're giving me an anxiety attack here... I'm pretty sure the 15th october deadline was for medicine, vet and dentistry. But I'm surprised that you got a reply in that short amount of time. Did they say when your interview will be?
Reply 57
I had a group activity and then each if us had a one to one interview :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by Lt93

Oxford Brookes is my first choice! They did say at the open day yesterday that they had already started selecting for interviews. I'm ready to apply but our course tutors won't give references yet.

Did they give you any feedback on why?

where else have you applied?
Reply 59
Original post by Lt93
No :frown:, I asked the receptionist and she told me to email the manager and no response from her. -sigh-

Same here, I can't arrange a visit to shadow an ODP. I'm sure it's okay if you can't arrange a visit.

Have you chosen your universities?

Ye I have, I'm going to apply to Northumbria (Where I definitely want to go), Teeside and Birmingham City Uni. Where else did you apply to?

Latest