The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Surely I'm not the only one? :smile:
Reply 2
You're not the only one, Jordan. I might be doing ODP in April as well. It all depends on clearing though, could luck out and get September, but I doubt it!

What schools are you considering? I'm going to Edge Hill.
Reply 3
Original post by nohinsara
You're not the only one, Jordan. I might be doing ODP in April as well. It all depends on clearing though, could luck out and get September, but I doubt it!

What schools are you considering? I'm going to Edge Hill.

Oh good :smile:

I'm crossing everything in the hope that I will get into Northumbria University, but I am still thinking where else I should apply to. I'm not too fussed about whether it's a degree or DipHE
Reply 4
Original post by JordanUK
Surely I'm not the only one? :smile:

Hi ya!

No your not alone, this is what I would love to do at Sheffield 2014!!!!! Just got to get through my access first, I am so excited and can't wait to get started.

I love the idea of this thread as I feel there isn't much info on here with regards to ODP, I look forward to hearing from more people :smile:

laura x
Reply 5
Original post by Laura1979
Hi ya!

No your not alone, this is what I would love to do at Sheffield 2014!!!!! Just got to get through my access first, I am so excited and can't wait to get started.

I love the idea of this thread as I feel there isn't much info on here with regards to ODP, I look forward to hearing from more people :smile:

laura x

Oh cool. I suppose I'm lucky in that respect of not having to worry about academic stuff, I did my A levels last year and have worked this year to save money so my grades are already got. However I have just looked at Sheffield and I couldn't apply with my grades! Must be competitive!

Where else will you be applying to?
Reply 6
Hi

I am applying to study ODP at northumbria for sep 2014, having to do an access course first this year - hopefully will get a place but there are only 25 places each year!! busy at the minute looking at other courses as a back up, but feel as if it would just be for the sake of it :s-smilie: really want to study ODP! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Jenhan
Hi

I am applying to study ODP at northumbria for sep 2014, having to do an access course first this year - hopefully will get a place but there are only 25 places each year!! busy at the minute looking at other courses as a back up, but feel as if it would just be for the sake of it :s-smilie: really want to study ODP! :smile:

Me too! Hopefully we will end up class mates!

I know it's really competitive but it will be worth all the trouble and hard in the end.
I've got a clearing interview at sheffield and on the waiting list for buckingham but hoping to apply to bcu,coventry and staffs in september
Reply 9
If we end up with any students doing ODP at Edge Hill (Ormskirk or Armstrong Campus) in Sept 2013 and April 2014, I've created a group on facebook. It would just be really nice to see how everyone gets on with placements and such.

Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/670585379621350/
Reply 10
Hi
I just saw your thread, I've just finished my 1st year of ODP at Surrey so if there's anything you'd like to ask a current student feel free :smile:
Good luck with your applications!
Becky

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Hiya,
Thought I was the only one planning ahead! Does anyone know what would strengthen your personal statement and what is asked in the interview for the course?
I know my questions are premature but my personal statement should have been started in July as they need to be submitted by October according to my college tutor!

look forward to hearing as discussing with you all :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Maryam26
Hiya,
Thought I was the only one planning ahead! Does anyone know what would strengthen your personal statement and what is asked in the interview for the course?
I know my questions are premature but my personal statement should have been started in July as they need to be submitted by October according to my college tutor!

look forward to hearing as discussing with you all :smile:

Ha no I'm planning ahead too.

I think working with the public in some capacity will strengthen an application especially vulnerable people (nursing homes, hospital wards ect)

Where are you thinking of applying too?
Reply 13
Original post by JordanUK
Ha no I'm planning ahead too.

I think working with the public in some capacity will strengthen an application especially vulnerable people (nursing homes, hospital wards ect)

Where are you thinking of applying too?

I've tried applying at care homes but the majority look for academic qualifications or prior experience in a professional setting which I don't have. I would be willing to train but it just doesn't seem to be a possibility :frown:

I'm applying to BCU, Coventry and Sheffield. Even though I live in Sheffield, the entry requirements are much higher than other unis so it would be a case of moving!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
They like you to have some experience in any health care related setting if possible. However I had no experience and still got a place. They also like you to be able to demonstrate your understanding of what the course entails as some people haven't really researched it so look into the course content maybe say what you're looking forward to studying in particular :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by becky964
They like you to have some experience in any health care related setting if possible. However I had no experience and still got a place. They also like you to be able to demonstrate your understanding of what the course entails as some people haven't really researched it so look into the course content maybe say what you're looking forward to studying in particular :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you completed the ODP course? And what uni are/were you studying at? Can you tell me more about the interview process please

Sorry for bombarding you with questions, you can probably tell I'm nervous lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I've just finished 1st year, start second year in October at Surrey :smile: I had interviews for Cardiff Plymouth and Surrey, I didn't attend my Cardiff interview. Surrey was a maths and English test, both very simple, if you can do basic math. Then I had an interview with one of the university tutors and 2 of the lead mentors from placement. They asked me why I wanted to study ODP, what I understood about the course, if I could drive, what would I do if I had a placement really far away to check you've thought through what you will do. Plymouth was much the same except I also had a group interview on an article about obesity and it's affects on the NHS and we had half an hour to discuss it amongst ourselves so you had to make sure you spoke and didn't sit there quietly and get forgotten about. I also had to write a page about why I wanted to become an ODP although we were told that was only to assess our leek of writing and whether they thought we would need extra support if we got a place :smile:
Hope that answers some of your questions, feel free to ask more :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anybody got any experience shadowing an ODP if so how did you arrange it?
Reply 18
Original post by becky964
I've just finished 1st year, start second year in October at Surrey :smile: I had interviews for Cardiff Plymouth and Surrey, I didn't attend my Cardiff interview. Surrey was a maths and English test, both very simple, if you can do basic math. Then I had an interview with one of the university tutors and 2 of the lead mentors from placement. They asked me why I wanted to study ODP, what I understood about the course, if I could drive, what would I do if I had a placement really far away to check you've thought through what you will do. Plymouth was much the same except I also had a group interview on an article about obesity and it's affects on the NHS and we had half an hour to discuss it amongst ourselves so you had to make sure you spoke and didn't sit there quietly and get forgotten about. I also had to write a page about why I wanted to become an ODP although we were told that was only to assess our leek of writing and whether they thought we would need extra support if we got a place :smile:
Hope that answers some of your questions, feel free to ask more :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why I want to be an ODP? I can see these interviews going badly already! :'( lol
What did you say in relation to 'if a placement was far away'?
I drive but have recently sold my car in preparation for all the money I need to save :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I know my friend did a few days work experience in theatres but she managed to get I through speaking to 2 of the consultants she knew. She also managed to do a weeks work experience programme aimed at prospective medical students which covered several areas including theatres.
With regards to placement being far away I said I was in the process of starting to learn to drive (slight lie) but was hoping for a local placement as I put the two closest down as my first choice. You do have to be able to travel to any of the placements they give you which can be hard if you have to commute and get up really early. It's worth it though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest