The Student Room Group

Go home illegal immigrant poster campaign

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10207126/Illegal-immigrant-poster-campaign-is-stupid-and-offensive-Vince-Cable-says.html

My thoughts:

Usual characters coming out against it but no surprises there. Cable would rather create problems for other people to solve, than actually do any work him self. But its nice to see some positive steps been taken to clean up the mess that Labour left and return people to their rightful homes. Not a big fan of this government at all, but this is essentially a very good idea and should be rolled out nationwide asap.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The UK Border Agency, the coastguard and police should do their job and prevent the arrival of illegal immigrants.Campaigns like these won't work.
Reply 2
Original post by kkovots
The UK Border Agency, the coastguard and police should do their job and prevent the arrival of illegal immigrants.Campaigns like these won't work.

A loud and clear message needs to be sent. People need to know where they stand.
Reply 3
Window-dressing to make it look the govt is doing something about illegal immigration rather than tacitly encouraging it. These vans are for the benefit of people who aren't immigrants. Look at the scale of the illegal worker/student/immigrant problem. Easiest thing in the world to drive a van with an impotent message around.
Original post by dj1015
A loud and clear message needs to be sent. People need to know where they stand.

It's one of the most stupid things I've ever heard, ignoring how distasteful it is and how it's obviously the Tories running scared of UKIP (who actually oppose it for being "nasty"), it will never work. If you're an illegal immigrant you might have fled war, poverty, persecution etc, so I think you'd take your chances with the police if it meant a chance of avoiding that. I mean being arrested isn't that bad compared with being tortured or executed and even if it did persuade people to leave, what are they going to do, buy a plane ticket back? Oh wait no because they don't have passport which is kind of the point. :dunce:
(edited 10 years ago)
They really didn't think this through ...

I'm dubious as to how many illegal immigrants can read English ...

So how will they read the posters ? And even if they can, they'll just ignore it ...

It will have the same effect as the UKIP A-boards towed by cars will have ... nothing will change...
(edited 10 years ago)
Just send search teams around every flyover and garden shed in Slough, that'll halve the problem overnight.
I can't imagine any illegal immigrants stumbling across it and deciding to hop on the next lorry out of here.
Original post by dj1015
What are everyone's thoughts on this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10207126/Illegal-immigrant-poster-campaign-is-stupid-and-offensive-Vince-Cable-says.html

My thoughts:

Usual characters coming out against it but no surprises there. Cable would rather create problems for other people to solve, than actually do any work him self. But its nice to see some positive steps been taken to clean up the mess that Labour left and return people to their rightful homes. Not a big fan of this government at all, but this is essentially a very good idea and should be rolled out nationwide asap.

IT makes no sense in terms of being effective this campaign will fail massively. The idea that an illegal immigrant who has paid gangs thousands of pounds stayed in inhumane conditions will go back just because some posters advices home to is inane .

Politically it could be a masterpiece or total fail depending on the intelligence of the electorate. It will allow show the cons are 'tough on immigration' and allow them to claw back some of the voters worried about immigration from ukip and they might gain some more.
However it will alienate ethnic minorities as Farage said also most of the electorate I hope will see that it is gesture politics by the cons to show that they are actually doing something and will realise that is not effective action. AS a result will not trust the COns. However if the left responds with hysteria then voters might interprete them as being soft on illegals and trust trust the cons on immigration.
All in all it shows how desperate Cameron has gotten that he has stooped so low he has to whore himself for fringe voters. In the long term it is a total disaster for the tories white brits are having kids at a slower rate than ethnics and as aresult the proportion of ethnics will increase as a part of the popeulation. The tories will lose these potential ethnic vote and will find it hard to win them back so they are just handing lab free votes to pick up in the future.
I think it's stupid.

1) Many illegal immigrants have given up everything to be here, they're not going to turn around and be like 'oh ok, sure, I'll go home'
2) Many cannot read English...

We know we have an immigration problem in the UK. More effort needs to go into stopping these people coming here in the first place. But also I think we lack a lot of sympathy for some of these people - they often come from extremely poor or extremely oppressed places. They're just looking for a better life and see the UK as their beacon of light.

Obviously we can't let everyone and anyone come and stay but to turn around and essentially say 'we don't want you, get out' on vehicles of all places is just distasteful. It'll have no effect on the number of immigrants in this country - it's just a ploy by the government to look like they're doing something.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by dj1015

Usual characters coming out against it but no surprises there..

Nigel Farage was a bit of a surprise to be honest.

He said: "I think the tone of the billboards is nasty, unpleasant, Big Brother."

I agree.
Reply 11
Original post by CityOfMyHeart
I think it's stupid.

1) Many illegal immigrants have given up everything to be here, they're not going to turn around and be like 'oh ok, sure, I'll go home'
2) Many cannot read English...

We know we have an immigration problem in the UK. More effort needs to go into stopping these people coming here in the first place. But also I think we lack a lot of sympathy for some of these people - they often come from extremely poor or extremely oppressed places. They're just looking for a better life and see the UK as their beacon of light.

Obviously we can't let everyone and anyone come and stay but to turn around and essentially say 'we don't want you, get out' on vehicles of all places is just distasteful. It'll have no effect on the number of immigrants in this country - it's just a ploy by the government to look like they're doing something.

Guess no one told you that this country is full.
Original post by dj1015

It's not. How ignorant :rolleyes:

We need to deal with illegal immigrants, and migration in general, but giant billboards are a laughable attempt at doing something to change it.
Reply 13
Original post by CityOfMyHeart
It's not. How ignorant :rolleyes:

This is the UK i am talking about......
Original post by dj1015
This is the UK i am talking about......

We're all talking about the UK here...
My initial reaction was 'ooo I wonder if they'll pay for me to leave as well?'

Seriously though, the boards are distasteful and probably do more to breed intolerance and xenophobia than actually address the problem of illegal immigration. I just feel like it's an add campaign not aimed at illegal immigrants but as a cynical attempt to make Daily Mail readers think they are doing something (when in reality they don't have much of a clue either way), obviously you're not going to hear any ministers say that...
Original post by dj1015

According to what measure?
Nigel Farage is right once again it is a complete waste of money, nasty and will not work and the problem is legal immigration from the EU.
Typical wet reaction from British people. Is it really that offensive?

I don't see how it is any different to those signs which threaten you with arrest for speeding, drinking in the street, etc.

The problem here is that people are compounding illegal immigration with legitimate immigration.
While I appreciate it's a bad image and not very polite, these posters accurately describe the law, which is itself supported in public by all three parties. If you have a problem with that, it seems like more of a problem with the law itself than the fact that the law is stated publicly.

Olenna Tyrell
I don't see how it is any different to those signs which threaten you with arrest for speeding, drinking in the street, etc.

I don't like those either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending