The Student Room Group

Writing personal statement around several courses

So basically, there's 4 courses I'm planning on applying to at two different universities. All are related - based around languages.

Spanish and Chinese
Spanish and linguistics - These two are at nottingham trent

Spanish and Chinese
Chinese studies - These are at nottingham uni

I don't know if this is making any sense. Anyway, I'm struggling to write my PS with these... three, technically... courses all involved. I don't know how to cover all of them, even though they're all sort of related.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!
Original post by aloharosie
So basically, there's 4 courses I'm planning on applying to at two different universities. All are related - based around languages.

Spanish and Chinese

Spanish and Chinese

I don't know if this is making any sense. Anyway, I'm struggling to write my PS with these... three, technically... courses all involved. I don't know how to cover all of them, even though they're all sort of related.

Hmm. Maybe mention the ones that are available at both, but also mention how you're interested in expanding your knowledge of linguistics and other cultures?
Original post by aloharosie

Spanish and Chinese

Spanish and Chinese

The usual rule is to decide which one you really want before you apply, make a properly targeted application to that and avoid coming across as indecisive. The situation is a little different here in that because you are applying for two courses within the same department at two universities, they will be able to see why you appear to be writing half your PS on a subject which is irrelevant to one of the courses you are applying for. I'd still say decide which ones you really want, but in view of what I'm guessing is not especially high demand for quite a niche course, you may get away with it. You can't avoid talking about Spanish AND Chinese equally if this is what you really want to do. The linguistics will have to come in as a part of an over-arching view of the nature of language and so forth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending