The Student Room Group

Would it be possible for me to get a body like this?

Ok so Ive always been into fitness and have always wanted to lose a bit of fat. The thing is the training I do is mainly for power speed so I'l do a few weights (squats, bench press, dumbells, pull ups) twice a week and trackwork/plyometrics for speed although it never gets my time down but thats a different matter. Ive added a bit of cardio/running miles througout the week to try and lose some fat but with wanting more power/speed apparantly distance runs shouldnt be done (slow twitch fibres and all that). I try not to lift heavy as with muscle gain comes fat gain, I dont want to gain much muscle but want to be faster. For this reason I'l mix up the squats and do say 2 sets heavy and the other 3 sets a lighter weight but faster.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If you're hoping to look like her then you have to lift heavy - that is a lot of muscle for woman. It's a look that will be nigh impossible to achieve without extreme dedication to a clean diet and intense weight training. Tbh it also might help your sprinting to increase your muscle and shed more fat. Not to sound harsh but I wouldn't be able to tell you worked out that much looking at your body so it appears it's your diet that needs the most improvement.
Of course it's possible, but remember you'll still be at the mercy of your body structure.
Reply 3
Original post by Nomes89
If you're hoping to look like her then you have to lift heavy - that is a lot of muscle for woman. It's a look that will be nigh impossible to achieve without extreme dedication to a clean diet and intense weight training. Tbh it also might help your sprinting to increase your muscle and shed more fat. Not to sound harsh but I wouldn't be able to tell you worked out that much looking at your body so it appears it's your diet that needs the most improvement.

I have been lifting heavy I think if anything that is what has made me look bigger/fattier as my diet hasnt changed. We all know that dedicated training and diet is what it takes but its how to go about it. I dont think you can tell if most people work out or not by just looking at them lol unless they are very dedicated and have decent sized muscles/high definition. Thats what im aiming for though but I dont want to lift too heavy because of the fat gain that seems to go with it. I suppose I'l have to increase the cardio but I do interval running 3 times a week which is apparantly meant to burn more fat..
Reply 4
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Of course it's possible, but remember you'll still be at the mercy of your body structure.

I thought that but then so is everyone, I just hope the weight will go off my hips and legs as this is where it gets stored lol. Doesnt help that i get hungry a lot but I wouldnt say I eat junk/too much I aim for no more than 1500 calories a day.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by civilstudent
I have been lifting heavy I think if anything that is what has made me look bigger/fattier as my diet hasnt changed. We all know that dedicated training and diet is what it takes but its how to go about it. I dont think you can tell if most people work out or not by just looking at them lol unless they are very dedicated and have decent sized muscles/high definition. Thats what im aiming for though but I dont want to lift too heavy because of the fat gain that seems to go with it. I suppose I'l have to increase the cardio but I do interval running 3 times a week which is apparantly meant to burn more fat..

Heavy lifting =\= fat gain

You'll gain fat on a surplus, which you want for muscle growth. Then you cut the fat through a deficit and continued lifting to minimise muscle loss.

Lift heavy to look like that woman.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Hypocrism
Heavy lifting =\= fat gain

You'll gain fat on a surplus, which you want for muscle growth. Then you cut the fat through a deficit and continued lifting to minimise muscle loss.

Lift heavy to look like that woman.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dont forget though I'l need energy for training etc. Im aware that this is what bodybuilders do but what about those who train such as athletes? They seem to manage to get their physique as a 'bonus' from continuous training rather than going through periods of bulking and cutting. So couldnt I just maintain a steady diet/exercise programme? Thanks for the replies im always trying to learn more about this
Reply 7
You've got a lot of cutting ahead of you dearie. I'd lose about a stone first (whilst lifting) before beginning a bulk.
Reply 8
Original post by Caedus
You've got a lot of cutting ahead of you dearie. I'd lose about a stone first (whilst lifting) before beginning a bulk.

Im aiming to lose about a stone through my training (im trying to eat less but hate being hungry/no energy) but I wanted to have a steady diet/exercise schedule rather than keep bulking and cutting. Or do you mean once that look is achieved (or if lol) then I could keep the exercise and diet steady/constant? See all these athletes manage it somehow and im sure they dont do all this bulking and cutting do they?

I'm sorry but gaining muscle doesn't make you 'fatter'. Sprinters lift heavy and have completely different bodies and the woman in your OP obviously has way more muscle than you do so how is she not 'big' and 'fat'? I say that you don't look like you train as much as you do because your fat percentage looks high for someone so active - I can't see that you have that much muscle baring in mind you supposedly lift heavy. But it really does come down to your diet. That's the only thing it could be unless you believe yourself to be some kind of anomaly?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Im aiming to lose about a stone through my training (im trying to eat less but hate being hungry/no energy) but I wanted to have a steady diet/exercise schedule rather than keep bulking and cutting. Or do you mean once that look is achieved (or if lol) then I could keep the exercise and diet steady/constant? See all these athletes manage it somehow and im sure they dont do all this bulking and cutting do they?

No, they really don't. Once you've attained that body it can be maintained without having to bulk or cut, unless you want to change the way you look depending on the season. My advice would be to focus on diet, for the most part. My body fat is quite similar to her's (much easier for me because I'm a guy) and the only way I can maintain it is by seriously restricting carbohydrates. This means I can eat a lot of fats and proteins, but only a small amount of carbs - for example: 750ml of milk per day and a roll with everything else I eat containing only trace carbs. If you take your diet seriously your body will drop fat very quickly. You'll also have to eat at below maintenance... Say between 1200-1500 calories.
Original post by Caedus
No, they really don't. Once you've attained that body it can be maintained without having to bulk or cut, unless you want to change the way you look depending on the season. My advice would be to focus on diet, for the most part. My body fat is quite similar to her's (much easier for me because I'm a guy) and the only way I can maintain it is by seriously restricting carbohydrates. This means I can eat a lot of fats and proteins, but only a small amount of carbs - for example: 750ml of milk per day and a roll with everything else I eat containing only trace carbs. If you take your diet seriously your body will drop fat very quickly. You'll also have to eat at below maintenance... Say between 1200-1500 calories.

This is exactly what I mean. You need to have a strict diet to achieve this look and tbh 1500 sounds like too much for a girl of 5ft.
Reply 12
Original post by Nomes89
This is exactly what I mean. You need to have a strict diet to achieve this look and tbh 1500 sounds like too much for a girl of 5ft.

I heartily agree with what you've said. I consume 1600 cals per day during the week, 2000 on weekends so I believe that she should limit herself to 1000-1300 calories. Her main concern is hunger and lethargy - both disappear after a week of being on a clean diet.
Original post by Nomes89
I'm sorry but gaining muscle doesn't make you 'fatter'. Sprinters lift heavy and have completely different bodies and the women in your OP obviously has way more muscle than you do so how is she not 'big' and 'fat'? I say that you don't look like you train as much as you do because your fat percentage looks high for someone so active - I can't see that you have that much muscle baring in mind you supposedly lift heavy. I'm sorry but it really does come down to your diet. That's the only thing it could be unless you believe yourself to be some kind of anomaly?

There are 2 ways that from my knowledge lifting can make someone look fatter. First one is easy.. if someone with a fair amount of body fat is weightlifting a lot then their muscle size increases right? This means their arm/leg will look bigger and 'fatter' if they are not losing any of the fat or doing any cardio. They are gaining muscle but do not have muscle definition because they are not doing cardio/ losing their previous fat. Im not saying with this that any extra weight is put on through lifting im saying it results in a 'fatter' look lol. You see them in the gym big men, big muscles but no definiton. The woman in the pic is not 'fat' because as you know she clearly has very low bf through cardio/cutting.

The second way, from what Ive heard, is that when someone is lifting heavy and gains muscle they naturally gain fat too. Now this might be simply a result of the 'bulking' or eating lots during the muscle gain but Im sure I heard that fat is put on with muscle even if food intake is not increased. I hope its not the case anyway!

As I said I dont do a lot of heavy lifting but I know I have muscle/strength. It also depends on the lighting I look slimmer/fat depending on different lighting.. all women do! lol. For example I have a quick vid of me doing a body weight exercise/chins and I don't think (imo) I appear to have that much bodyfat. It was a few months ago though and it was before I started the lifting. http://s569.photobucket.com/albums/ss134/pointblanc5/?action=view&current=MOV02491.mp4
My diet never really changes as I said Im trying to stick to about 1500 calories a day.
Original post by Caedus

Ah ok that wouldnt be too bad then. See I just thought of adding some cardio throughout the week (I already do interval/track stuff 3 x week) and cutting back a bit on diet to lose the stone. I usually make sure i get a balanced diet and so i tend to eat carbs. Dinner is often jacket potato and tuna and I might then have spag bol (I limit the pasta) in the evening. I will def cut back on the carbs and aim for 1200 calories then, thanks for the tip!
Ok so Ive always been into fitness and have always wanted to lose a bit of fat. The thing is the training I do is mainly for power speed so I'l do a few weights (squats, bench press, dumbells, pull ups) twice a week and trackwork/plyometrics for speed although it never gets my time down but thats a different matter. Ive added a bit of cardio/running miles througout the week to try and lose some fat but with wanting more power/speed apparantly distance runs shouldnt be done (slow twitch fibres and all that). I try not to lift heavy as with muscle gain comes fat gain, I dont want to gain much muscle but want to be faster. For this reason I'l mix up the squats and do say 2 sets heavy and the other 3 sets a lighter weight but faster.

Please don't laugh but Id like to look somewhere near to this whilst still developing power/speed.

Attachment not found

Is this possible though given my goals and my body type? Im 154 cm in height (5ft) and currently weigh 8 and half stone. I also work 40 hours a week on a ward doing shift work so will be doing a variety of shifts inc nights etc I know that it can mess with sleep and diet. Anyway this is what I currently look like, just wanted some advice

Ive been traing for over 3years solid and i know my sheet..... So your gonna have to put atleast 5+years of hard hard hard work minimum to achieve the muscle mass she has ... Im sorry if your not committed to this type of work but thats how it is... Your a girl and you testosterone or muscle building capability is low and this figure will take crap loads if time to get to... Seriously ask anyone

Please don't laugh but Id like to look somewhere near to this whilst still developing power/speed.

Attachment not found

Is this possible though given my goals and my body type? Im 154 cm in height (5ft) and currently weigh 8 and half stone. I also work 40 hours a week on a ward doing shift work so will be doing a variety of shifts inc nights etc I know that it can mess with sleep and diet. Anyway this is what I currently look like, just wanted some advice

Lol funniest thing ive heard..... "I dont want to lift heavy as ill gain muscle and fat"....... The only way u will gain fat is if ur in a caloric surplus it doesnt matter what physical activities you do... As for lifting heavy .. you will build muscle faster
Original post by Nomes89

Agreed .. does she even lift?
Reply 18
Ah ok that wouldnt be too bad then. See I just thought of adding some cardio throughout the week (I already do interval/track stuff 3 x week) and cutting back a bit on diet to lose the stone. I usually make sure i get a balanced diet and so i tend to eat carbs. Dinner is often jacket potato and tuna and I might then have spag bol (I limit the pasta) in the evening. I will def cut back on the carbs and aim for 1200 calories then, thanks for the tip!

You don't need to consume carbs to be on a 'balanced diet'. You'll be getting slow burning energy from fats and minerals from vegetables as well as protein - this is all your body needs. If the foodstuff didn't exist 10,000 years ago it's probably man made and as a result, not likely good for you. Just do your best not to spike your insulin, especially when you've had something fatty to eat as doing so is a sure fire way to stack on the pounds.

If you severely cut carbs you'll experience the 'sugar blues' which are rather painful headaches, this will last a week and is perfectly normal. After this your body will become a fat burning machine as opposed to a fat storing machine. If you plateau at any point you should also consider intermittent fasting (I.e. consuming all of your calories in, for example, an 8 hour window. This allows your body to deplete its glycogen stores allowing it to burn fat quickly and efficiently).

Oh I watched your video and you're the first girl I've seen who can do 9 chin-ups with good form, well done!
(edited 10 years ago)

Ffs what idiot told you lifting heavy make you fat.. what the hell is the bs

Quick Reply

Latest