The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
i got an offer today!!! super happy and a shock after my poor attempt at an interview! i'm on the manc route! well done on all the offers guys
Original post by amyb96
i got an offer today!!! super happy and a shock after my poor attempt at an interview! i'm on the manc route! well done on all the offers guys

Congratulation! :smile:
Reply 842
Original post by pinkwink
Thanks! Congrats to you too! :smile:

Haha actually there is one big reason, or i would have totally accepted it right away. I'm worried about returning to Canada as an IMG since it's hard for IMGs to get a residency over here... I've seen a lot of stats on the CaRMS website and they are pretty horrific! Most specialties have only 2-8 positions for IMGs (family and internal medicine have the most 33-130 approx.) Plus, we aren't allowed to practice in the UK so if we can't get a position here... we're stuck! :s-smilie:

I'm going to the info session in Toronto this week, will hopefully get some more info about it!

If you still have any questions i'm on the program so I can try and answer any Qs you might have.

I don't think the chances are as bad as CaRMS would show. This is because a lot of the true IMGs (immigrants to Canada) are many years out of medical school, train in a non western/1st world country and don't have the english skills. I've spoken to residents who said the vast majority of IMG spots are taken up by canadians who studied abroad. Not only that but St Andrews has the advantage of long clinical rotations in Canada, a UK medical degree/training and because St Andrews is mostly taking top students out of high school, as a whole we would probably be more competitive than those who didn't get a spot in Canada after undergrad.

Also don't forget that if you don't match you can apply to the US and provided your exam scores are good enough you have a better chance of matching.

One thing that is true though is its probably not the right choice if you are interested in the very competitive specialties as there are few if any IMG spots in the competitive specialties.

FM is the most viable followed by Psych, Path, OB/GYN, Peds and IM. Anesthesiology, General and Orthopedic Surgery tend to be much more competitive. ENT, Ophtho, CT Surg (direct entry), Derm, Neuro Surg are mostly impossible though
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 843
Original post by ukmed108
If you still have any questions i'm on the program so I can try and answer any Qs you might have.

I don't think the chances are as bad as CaRMS would show. This is because a lot of the true IMGs (immigrants to Canada) are many years out of medical school, train in a non western/1st world country and don't have the english skills. I've spoken to residents who said the vast majority of IMG spots are taken up by canadians who studied abroad. Not only that but St Andrews has the advantage of long clinical rotations in Canada, a UK medical degree/training and because St Andrews is mostly taking top students out of high school, as a whole we would probably be more competitive than those who didn't get a spot in Canada after undergrad.

Also don't forget that if you don't match you can apply to the US and provided your exam scores are good enough you have a better chance of matching.

One thing that is true though is its probably not the right choice if you are interested in the very competitive specialties as there are few if any IMG spots in the competitive specialties.

FM is the most viable followed by Psych, Path, OB/GYN, Peds and IM. Anesthesiology, General and Orthopedic Surgery tend to be much more competitive. ENT, Ophtho, CT Surg (direct entry), Derm, Neuro Surg are mostly impossible though

Yea, that's what I've been hearing from a lot of people. Starting to think I might just take that chance!
Has anyone with an offer recieved confirmation for firming?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 845
Yes Lads
ive an offer for st andrews and would probably like to go there but this Barts route is holding me back....just not sure at all if i want to go to london for my last 3 years....anyone else in a similar position?
Original post by PatrickLeeson
Yes Lads
ive an offer for st andrews and would probably like to go there but this Barts route is holding me back....just not sure at all if i want to go to london for my last 3 years....anyone else in a similar position?

Ive firmed it as it was my only offer and was my first choice. The way I see it is that st Andrews for me was the best preclinical uni and while I did want to go to Edinburgh for clinical as I loved it there I have given it more thought and have concluded that London is a good place for clinical years. For one its closer to my home and so I'll be able to visit people more which will be nice. London is also a very diverse city you will get more exposure to more things in a London hospital. It also attracts the best doctors so you will be learning from the best. I've heard that Barts is a very good place for clinicals and while the idea of living in London isn't most appealing due to cost and busyness I can see there will definitely be upsides to doing clinicals in London.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes Lads

Have the same problem but with the manchester route. Guess it depends on how much you like St Andrews and what other offers you have. I've tied myself in knots trying to decide between Dundee and St Andrews.
Has anyone who requested feedback following a rejection heard anything yet? I asked on January and have still had nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RadioheadHermie
Ive firmed it as it was my only offer and was my first choice. The way I see it is that st Andrews for me was the best preclinical uni and while I did want to go to Edinburgh for clinical as I loved it there I have given it more thought and have concluded that London is a good place for clinical years. For one its closer to my home and so I'll be able to visit people more which will be nice. London is also a very diverse city you will get more exposure to more things in a London hospital. It also attracts the best doctors so you will be learning from the best. I've heard that Barts is a very good place for clinicals and while the idea of living in London isn't most appealing due to cost and busyness I can see there will definitely be upsides to doing clinicals in London.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes Lads

Original post by peanutbutter18
Have the same problem but with the manchester route. Guess it depends on how much you like St Andrews and what other offers you have. I've tied myself in knots trying to decide between Dundee and St Andrews.

I am in the first cohort of St Andrews grads at Barts and it's been brilliant. I'm a very St Andrews person (loved being in St Andrews and everything it had to offer) but also really enjoy barts. The Royal London and Barts have such a massively diverse range of patients and the clinical experience here is great. It's also fairly well organised on the whole and east london is a bit cheaper that the rest of London (and also not as bad as people make out!)

If you've got any q's or would like to chat about Barts, feel free to PM me.
Hi everyone ! I'm a bit confused as to where we get our Medicine degree from? St Andrew's or the Uni that we do our clinical years in ?
Original post by PinkNailPolish
Hi everyone ! I'm a bit confused as to where we get our Medicine degree from? St Andrew's or the Uni that we do our clinical years in ?

Pretty sure it's the clinical uni, but you do get the bsc from St Andrews :smile:
Pretty sure it's the clinical uni, but you do get the bsc from St Andrews :smile:

Oh that's good we get 2 degrees :smile: Thanks
Oh that's good we get 2 degrees :smile: Thanks

You didn't know!?
You didn't know!?

Surprisingly no ! :frown: Or I think I might have... but I've forgotten :/
Surprisingly no ! :frown: Or I think I might have... but I've forgotten :/

That was one of the key points in my choice of St Andrews, I think having the extra degree helps you when it comes to getting FY1 jobs or something, and research is cool anyway!
I did too and I got in as well.
Nice to see another.
I was offered an interview this year and I was wondering if you could shed some light on what it will involve or have any tips?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending