641-660 7%
661-680 7%
681-700 17%
701-720 10%
721-740 12%
741-760 14%
761+29%
Total votes: 58
Welcome to the 2014 Medicine Entry Thread to St. Andrews. I'm definitely applying here after seeing the town and the open day a few months back. :biggrin: They seem to have brilliant theory and anatomy classes! Please post any questions, queries or just say hi and join the gang for this year. I will double check on exactly what the weighting is on the admissions criteria, hopefully it has stayed the same since last year. In the meantime good luck to those still to take their UKCAT, and look forward to meeting those ahead in the mother of all admission cycles. PG :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

:hi:

I'm not a 2014 applicant, or a student (yet), but I applied to St Andrews for both 2012 and 2013 entry and am finally starting in September.
If you've any questions, just ask :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by TattyBoJangles

I'm not a 2014 applicant, or a student (yet), but I applied to St Andrews for both 2012 and 2013 entry and am finally starting in September.

Cheers, wow you must be so excited, just over a month until you head up north :tongue: Do you know if they've made any changes to the selection procedure or is it the same as last year?
Original post by PG593
Cheers, wow you must be so excited, just over a month until you head up north :tongue: Do you know if they've made any changes to the selection procedure or is it the same as last year?

Their selection criteria has been the same both years I applied, so I'd say it's probably the same - but I don't know 100%.
Reply 4
Hey guys! I am reapplying! I was rejected due to my poor UKCAT last year. However, this year I have made a comeback with a 690.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by MOHSINM31
Hey guys! I am reapplying! I was rejected due to my poor UKCAT last year. However, this year I have made a comeback with a 690.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad to have you with us mate, re-applicant as well. Hope this year goes well for both of us :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by PG593
Glad to have you with us mate, re-applicant as well. Hope this year goes well for both of us :tongue:

Fingers cross!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hi, just going into 3rd year at St. Andrews. Happy to help if possible with any questions regarding course, life in St. Andrews etc. I'm a mature student too!
Good luck all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by polldoll
Hi, just going into 3rd year at St. Andrews. Happy to help if possible with any questions regarding course, life in St. Andrews etc. I'm a mature student too!
Good luck all!

Posted from TSR Mobile

are you one of the Perth pathway students by any chance? :smile:
Reply 9
Is there a medical openday? And the next openday I can find is on 2nd October bit close to deadline than I would like, I am more and more considering applying think it's suited my application.

Could I visit on another day if I got a medical student to take me around ?

Also any current students have figures I. How likely you are to get your chosen pathway?

Cheers
Reply 10

Sorry forgot to quote you , in last post see above, also do st Andrews do dissection.

Sorry to always bother you about them
I am liking the idea of applying more and more now.
Original post by t()m
Sorry forgot to quote you , in last post see above, also do st Andrews do dissection.

Sorry to always bother you about them
I am liking the idea of applying more and more now.

Yes, full-body dissection :smile: If you get an interview you'll be shown the dissection room (maybe at an open day, I'm not sure - never went).

I believe the university allows you to book individual visits, but they're only Monday - Friday. I'm not sure how seeing the Medical School would work if you did that. Perhaps send a speculative email?

I'm afraid I'm not sure about the pathways. I believe the Scottish one is more competitive than the Manchester one, but I don't know how this will change now there's a Barts option as well. This year I got offered a place on the Barts route, having originally applied for the Scottish one.

Their website is rather more informative than their prospectus - http://medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk/prospectus/#
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
I'm not a Perth pathways student, just a standard graduate! But I do know the Perth students in my year!
The tour including dissection room is only offered on interview days. There will be medical school applicants days, but can't remember when they are. If you email in I'm sure a visit can be arranged? Or coming through and getting a current student to show you about works too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Oh and the routes, I don't know figures but it depends on popularity year by year. I know several that applied for Scottish route but were asked at interview if they would consider Manchester. Once you have your offer, the final place you end up for clinical years depends on your ranking in the year and your preference within the routes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Yes, full-body dissection :smile: If you get an interview you'll be shown the dissection room (maybe at an open day, I'm not sure - never went).

I believe the university allows you to book individual visits, but they're only Monday - Friday. I'm not sure how seeing the Medical School would work if you did that. Perhaps send a speculative email?

I'm afraid I'm not sure about the pathways. I believe the Scottish one is more competitive than the Manchester one, but I don't know how this will change now there's a Barts option as well. This year I got offered a place on the Barts route, having originally applied for the Scottish one.

Their website is rather more informative than their prospectus - http://medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk/prospectus/#

Thanks for the reply. The thing is like I am really realistic and understandable so I know that I should apply to where I am most likely to get interview and them in. Which I am wary atm of applying to 2 heavy PS unis.

The reasons why I am slightly concerned about St. Andrews is I do like the idea of doing Bsc so 6 years is not an issue. But transphering is a bit of an issue and I don't like the des of going to Manchester.

Also socially I am a city boy, I like city, however St. Andrews is not, so is there much of a nightlife and things to do with the university and without it?

So seeing the uni would be great to understand the uni life.

I am a Londoner so barts pathway for me is meh, because I don't want to be sheltered so atm I would like to do medical school out of London and then return to London for or after fy1 etc.

So is the barts pathway coming out of the Scottish or Manchester quota ?
Reply 15
I'm not a Perth pathways student, just a standard graduate! But I do know the Perth students in my year!
The tour including dissection room is only offered on interview days. There will be medical school applicants days, but can't remember when they are. If you email in I'm sure a visit can be arranged? Or coming through and getting a current student to show you about works too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok cheers I will enquire hopefully I can visit it.

What's the social life like cause its not a city etc ? Decent places to go out or not ? Ever feel bored because your in a small place ?
Reply 16
Oh and the routes, I don't know figures but it depends on popularity year by year. I know several that applied for Scottish route but were asked at interview if they would consider Manchester. Once you have your offer, the final place you end up for clinical years depends on your ranking in the year and your preference within the routes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

So sorry can you also say more about how you apply for the Scottish ones ?

So if at interview you were asked if you would change to Manchester would you be rejected if you declined that option, or does it decrease your chances ?

Also how do your preferences work ? Do you say top 2/3 or just one? Also let's say its 30% Scottish route go to Edinburgh. So would the top 30% in year rankings who put it as their preference get it ?
Reply 17
Also they say they interview 500 roughly, how many places is that for and also how many people apply?

They don't look at ASs do they ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
St. Andrews is a small town, no escaping that so coming from a big city you might find it a bit of a shock to the system! However Dundee is 20 mins away and there are many nights out to be had over there! The students in St. Andrews are very sociable and there are plenty of pubs about. Only one club though where everyone tends to end up! Also lots of flat parties.

The routes.. When you apply on ucas if you are determined only Scotland then apply to Scottish route. And if they ask at interview then you explain your reasons for saying you'd rather only be considered for Scotland. I don't know if this disadvantages you it really depends on the numbers!!
Speaking of numbers, there are between 140-160 in each year.
For the specific Scottish unis, there are a set number of places available at each, i cant remember the specific numbers but will guesstimate! Glasgow has most about 25 places, then Edinburgh 17, and Dundee 6 and Aberdeen 6. We rank the 4 unis in order of preference and then you get assigned in your position in the year after the 2nd year Xmas exams. Edinburgh was competitive in my year, so if you want there you were basically needed to get a first, which is above 75% (approx).
This all of course varies depending on the grades in your year, popularity of the unis and places available!
This is similar for those on Manchester route only they are applying for base hospitals so doesn't appear to be as competitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
St. Andrews is a small town, no escaping that so coming from a big city you might find it a bit of a shock to the system! However Dundee is 20 mins away and there are many nights out to be had over there! The students in St. Andrews are very sociable and there are plenty of pubs about. Only one club though where everyone tends to end up! Also lots of flat parties.

The routes.. When you apply on ucas if you are determined only Scotland then apply to Scottish route. And if they ask at interview then you explain your reasons for saying you'd rather only be considered for Scotland. I don't know if this disadvantages you it really depends on the numbers!!
Speaking of numbers, there are between 140-160 in each year.
For the specific Scottish unis, there are a set number of places available at each, i cant remember the specific numbers but will guesstimate! Glasgow has most about 25 places, then Edinburgh 17, and Dundee 6 and Aberdeen 6. We rank the 4 unis in order of preference and then you get assigned in your position in the year after the 2nd year Xmas exams. Edinburgh was competitive in my year, so if you want there you were basically needed to get a first, which is above 75% (approx).

This all of course varies depending on the grades in your year, popularity of the unis and places available!
This is similar for those on Manchester route only they are applying for base hospitals so doesn't appear to be as competitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok so there is a decent social scene :smile:and it's only 3 years then I can go to bigger place.

Ok cheers thanks for this it's really useful :biggrin:

Of course hopefully the new barts pathway will make places less competitive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending