The Student Room Group

My parcel sent with Royal Mail

I sent a parcel from London to Norway on Tuesday. I asked for overnight delivery, but she said it was not available to Norway (unlike all other countries).
I asked for express, the fastest they had, which was approximately 3 days. She said, however, due to the weekend, it would rather be there Monday.
I paid £54 and got a tracking number. However, the tracking is really bad. Normally when you use DHL or something like that, there will be details. It just says "held". I don't even know if it is held in the UK or Norway. The recipient just told he she hadn't received anything, and it's urgent.
I am annoyed with Royal Mail right now. Anyone have experience with this and how long it should take?
Reply 1
Original post by Millie228
I sent a parcel from London to Norway on Tuesday. I asked for overnight delivery, but she said it was not available to Norway (unlike all other countries).
I asked for express, the fastest they had, which was approximately 3 days. She said, however, due to the weekend, it would rather be there Monday.
I paid £54 and got a tracking number. However, the tracking is really bad. Normally when you use DHL or something like that, there will be details. It just says "held". I don't even know if it is held in the UK or Norway. The recipient just told he she hadn't received anything, and it's urgent.
I am annoyed with Royal Mail right now. Anyone have experience with this and how long it should take?

I wouldn't worry. What you have is International Signed For, so you will be told when it is delivered. It will have left the UK within a day or so.

It is likely held up at customs for clearance because Norway is not in the EU.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by marcusfox
I wouldn't worry. What you have is International Signed For, so you will be told when it is delivered. It will have left the UK within a day or so.

It is likely held up at customs for clearance because Norway is not in the EU.

I checked today, and it still says "held". It's worrying me if it's not even left the UK. It's something I sold for a high amount and I won't get the money until the recipient receives it and I really need it.
Reply 3
I checked today, and it still says "held". It's worrying me if it's not even left the UK. It's something I sold for a high amount and I won't get the money until the recipient receives it and I really need it.

It will have left the UK within a day or so on air-freight, probably through the Royal Mail centre at East Midlands Airport.

'Held' most likely means it is in some Norwegian warehouse awaiting customs clearance before they hand it over to Posten Norge for delivery.

Regarding the money, if you have sent it tracked, you will receive the money as soon as it is delivered or a certain period of time has elapsed.

Funds will be available 3 days after we can confirm the item was delivered when you use eBay or PayPal to print labels or upload tracking information from UPS, USPS, or FedEx.

If we don't have tracking information, but you mark the item as shipped and we can calculate a delivery date, your money should be available 7 days after your latest estimated delivery date.

If we don't have tracking information, and you don't mark the item as shipped, or we can't calculate a delivery date (for example, if the item was shipped internationally), the funds should be available 21 days after the buyer pays.

If Norwegian customs laws are the same as ours, there could be another meaning to 'Held'

Depending on what you wrote on the sustoms label in description and value (you mention it was a high value item) you should be aware that it could also be the case that the buyer needs to pay a fee equivalent to the Norwegian VAT to import the item into Norway and also a fee to Posten Norge for collecting that VAT and passing the money on to customs.

It's possible they are waiting for the buyer to pay that fee before handing it over.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
£54 to ship a item, yer that's quite a lot. you can fly there with it for that price probably.
You will receive an update once it reaches Norway Sorting centre/Distribution hub/Customs

That is all royal mail offer.
Reply 6
Original post by kumori
£54 to ship a item, yer that's quite a lot. you can fly there with it for that price probably.

Not cheap to fly directly, but changing in Poland/Lithuania you can get the four flights for about £70-80 all in.
Reply 7
Original post by Bill_Gates
You will receive an update once it reaches Norway Sorting centre/Distribution hub/Customs

That is all royal mail offer.

International Signed For service will give you a signature when the parcel is delivered.
Reply 8
International Signed For service will give you a signature when the parcel is delivered.

The International Signed For (which I've used before) takes longer and is cheaper, but is only tracked within the UK. Now I used International Express which is why it cost more. Naively I thought it'd be quicker but I've learned that if you track things, they are more likely to be stopped in customs-
Reply 9
The International Signed For (which I've used before) takes longer and is cheaper, but is only tracked within the UK. Now I used International Express which is why it cost more. Naively I thought it'd be quicker but I've learned that if you track things, they are more likely to be stopped in customs-

Yes, that's true, they are only tracked until they leave the UK, but it still gives you a signature on delivery.

Whether it is tracked or not tracked outside the UK is irrelevant, the signature on delivery is enough for eBay's seller protection purposes, and you can get compensation from the PO if it doesn't arrive (provided it is within the value limits set by the post office, if not you can buy extra compensation). This differentiates it from the standard Royal Mail Airmail Small Packet service.

If it is an internationally tracked item, it is more likely to be a high value item that necessitates payment of customs duties, so it makes sense for them to look in those parcels.

I've had letters sent to me from China and ChinaPost offers a far superior tracking service including tracking at all stages of the journey, as the person who sent me the letters kept me updated over the time until it was delivered.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Yes, that's true, they are only tracked until they leave the UK, but it still gives you a signature on delivery.

Whether it is tracked or not tracked outside the UK is irrelevant, the signature on delivery is enough for eBay's seller protection purposes, and you can get compensation from the PO if it doesn't arrive (provided it is within the value limits set by the post office, if not you can buy extra compensation). This differentiates it from the standard Royal Mail Airmail Small Packet service.

If it is an internationally tracked item, it is more likely to be a high value item that necessitates payment of customs duties, so it makes sense for them to look in those parcels.

I've had letters sent to me from China and ChinaPost offers a far superior tracking service including tracking at all stages of the journey, as the person who sent me the letters kept me updated over the time until it was delivered.

It still says "held", no progress at all...

It's not sold through ebay btw.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending