The Student Room Group

Why are there no calls to ban womens' mags?

There are calls from feminists to ban 'lads' mags' because they are sexist, which is probably true. However, I cannot see why there are no calls to ban womens' mags too. They are also sexist (to men) but worse, they're damaging to women. Before I go on I should say that the sexism towards men doesn't really bother me, but for argument's sake I've mentioned it.

Looking at a few of my sister's magazines which were lying around, I saw the following:

'How to make any guy a million times better in bed' I'm sure the flip side of that would be objectifying women or turning them into sex objects.

Every one of the magazines has an incredibly slim, half naked woman :K: on the front and at least one dangerous sounding diet, e.g. 'Instant body shape up- lose a stone in two weeks'. I can't see how this combination isn't going to put a huge amount of pressure on women to do and be obvious things.

The magazines have plenty of 'sexy' practically naked men with six packs in their covers, and many more on offer inside. The reverse of this is the bulk of the feminists' arguments in favour of banning lads' mags.

And I hope no children saw these jumbo sized subtitles while the magazines were on the shelf... 'GREAT SEX EVERY TIME', 'CRAZY, SEXY, COOL', ' SEX AT 70', 'THE BEST BED-FREE SEX EVER'.

Why aren't there any calls to ban these magazines!?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hypocrisy.
Because of one simple reason.

There is absolutely no similar movement to feminism from a man's point of view. We are men, we get on with things, some of us with a backbone and testicles, some of us with nothing. Nevertheless, there is no movement to compete thus why feminism has caused the cancellation of mud wrestling, the outcry against Lads Mags etc. I've set this in multiple feminism threads and I will say it again. Feminism in it's current condition is a joke. It cry's about tinsy winsy little things that have no meaning instead of big issues that it should be worrying about such as unequal pay and conditions; not lad's mags and mud wrestling. Feminism has just turned into a front for angry overweight women who suddenly think that all men are the devil incarnate. Here's the inside scoop; feminism will always eventually win because there is no similar movement.
Reply 3
The other type of magazine is where they take a photo of a famous woman in some sort of embarrassment without her consent, then plaster it on the front of a national (and in several countries) magazine for everyone to relish in it. If inviting a woman to a consensual photoshoot and making her feel good about herself encourages 'rape culture', then what on earth do the women's magazines encourage?
I don't think lads should be banned.

I agree that women's mags are more damaging to young girls as they are so easy for children to get their hands on. It's virtually impossible to find a lads mag on the bus, train or your uncles dining table :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by uktotalgamer
Because of one simple reason.

There is absolutely no similar movement to feminism from a man's point of view. We are men, we get on with things, some of us with a backbone and testicles, some of us with nothing. Nevertheless, there is no movement to compete thus why feminism has caused the cancellation of mud wrestling, the outcry against Lads Mags etc. I've set this in multiple feminism threads and I will say it again. Feminism in it's current condition is a joke. It cry's about tinsy winsy little things that have no meaning instead of big issues that it should be worrying about such as unequal pay and conditions; not lad's mags and mud wrestling. Feminism has just turned into a front for angry overweight women who suddenly think that all men are the devil incarnate. Here's the inside scoop; feminism will always eventually win because there is no similar movement.

I hate to prove you wrong, but...http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masculism :biggrin:

I think you're right though, men tend to take it easy more.
Reply 6
Just ban both
Original post by SpiggyTopes
I hate to prove you wrong, but...http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masculism :biggrin:

I think you're right though, men tend to take it easy more.

The movement is still nowhere near as outspoken.

Think of feminism like UKIP. Makes a lot of noise about nonsensical issues. Think about Masculism like an independant candidate. People know they exist but don't pay much attention.
I don't think any magazines should be banned, just make sure they're not where kids can see them...
Reply 9
Where else would they get 'this season's must haves for the school run', 'men are paid *insert figure* more than woman', or 'how to seduce your man'?
Reply 10
Double standards.
Reply 11
Third wave feminists need to get off their cross.
Reply 12
double standard sexism.
Reply 13
I think it's because the tone of 'women's mags' is less smutty.
Reply 14
I fail to see how trying to please your man in bed is sexist towards men? That's a complete joke.

But things have been done about those mags, but they still have a lot to go, and the're going about it in the wrong way, calling fat curvaceous and womanly, calling overweight women 'real women'. I don't see the sexism though.
Reply 15
Original post by Maid Marian
I don't think any magazines should be banned, just make sure they're not where kids can see them...

What's the point? Any kid can search 'Big Ol' Titties' in Google and find far worse images than can be found on the cover of any magazine.
(edited 10 years ago)
I think we should also ban Kate Middleton. Any woman who looks like a L'Oreal commercial 24 hours after giving birth for the first time is clearly only ever going to be damaging to women's self esteem.

Plus it would piss the Daily Mail off...

Original post by Sam00
I picked up an FHM magazine in whsmith's earlier today, casually turned to my left and realised that I was being hawkeyed by some middle aged probable spinster, what to do?
Give her a copy of Cosmo, it will undoubtedly explain to her how she can lose the frump in only 25 easy steps and turn on the new man in her life... probably by doing something medically inadvisable to his junk.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Mockery
What's the point? Any kid can search 'Big Ol' Titties' in Google and find far worse images than can be found on the cover of any magazine.

Not for much longer! :biggrin:

And most kids who'd do that would be pubescent, younger children shouldn't be seeing half naked pouting women for obvious reasons.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ham22
I think it's because the tone of 'women's mags' is less smutty.

That's because people refrain from the much more entertaining "slag's mags".
Reply 19
Original post by Mockery

But they have to actively type in big ole titties?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending