The Student Room Group

Stronglifts 5x5 - Anyone tried it/know about it?

Hi, as the title says does anyone have any experience with this good or bad?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
really depends on what you training for.... its usually a traditional method I know what people use within powerlifting as I use it myself.

For example, lets say for deadlifts your stuck at 190kg.... I would then go down to 170kg and try for 5x5, if I can do 5x5 I would do 3x5. The week after I wont go for a PB and try 170kg again for 5x5. If I get 5x5 then I would go to 180kg and try 3x3...
Reply 2
Original post by debateamate
really depends on what you training for.... its usually a traditional method I know what people use within powerlifting as I use it myself.

For example, lets say for deadlifts your stuck at 190kg.... I would then go down to 170kg and try for 5x5, if I can do 5x5 I would do 3x5. The week after I wont go for a PB and try 170kg again for 5x5. If I get 5x5 then I would go to 180kg and try 3x3...

I'm planning to train to gain strength and muscle, not massively bulk though. Also to lose some fat, but I've read that building muscle will burn the fat anyway.

Also, any tips for getting good technique without a spotter?
Reply 3
Original post by NiceToMeetYou
I'm planning to train to gain strength and muscle, not massively bulk though. Also to lose some fat, but I've read that building muscle will burn the fat anyway.

Also, any tips for getting good technique without a spotter?

I did the 3x5 (I believe 5x5 suggests moving onto this near the end) and tbh I do all my routines alone, it might not be the best but the smith machine is your friend lol

I use it for bench press just because im not gona do as heavy I can lift without a spotter, atleast the smith acts as a safety net so to speak,

as for squats I doubt you'd ever fail a set and if you do the rack should have a bit that comes out which is mid thigh height, you can always squat real low and drop it on that if its "too much"

what else, dead lifts and rows you can jus drop the bar if its too much, overhead press my advise is to work light till you feel you can progress (i.e. dont do a rep above the head if you think youl drop it lol)

general work on your form first then add the weight when you feel comfortable it might not be the most fun way but your body will thank you for it!
Reply 4
Good beginners program to get a grasp of the compounds I'd add a bit of assistance work if your bothered about aesthetics though
Reply 5
not sure if it was the stronglifts or starting strength but one of the variations suggests some accessory excersises, Im partiqularly fond of pull ups (they support my upper back development and consiquently help a little with my overhead), chin ups (purely for my biceps mainly as an extra)

and dips for my triceps mainly (I didnt feel either program had enough for aesthetics in the arm department, I do , the pull ups on day 1 and 3 with chin ups and usualy do dips on the 2nd day

I've known some guys to add flys into the routine too (machine, cable, dumbell whatever you like)
Reply 6
Thanks for all the advice :smile:

Did you guys add 5lbs (2.5kg) each workout? Adding 1.25kg to each side of the bar seems very small amounts
Reply 7
Thanks for all the advice :smile:

Did you guys add 5lbs (2.5kg) each workout? Adding 1.25kg to each side of the bar seems very small amounts

Why do you think adding 2.5kg per workout isn't much? In the lifting world that's basically light speed!

I would personally swap squats for pullups on deadlift day to prevent getting too lower-heavy and add in curls and some kind of tricep move like skullcrushers.
(edited 10 years ago)
If you want pure strength then SS is better. If you want aesthetics/hypertrophy then ICF 5x5 is better. SL 5x5 is an unnecessary middle ground between the two.

Milked out SS and had great strength gains but found the hypertrophy gains to be lackluster. Obvious why now.
Reply 9
Original post by Illidan_Stormrage
If you want pure strength then SS is better. If you want aesthetics/hypertrophy then ICF 5x5 is better. SL 5x5 is an unnecessary middle ground between the two.

Milked out SS and had great strength gains but found the hypertrophy gains to be lackluster. Obvious why now.

I can't find any good links for the full ICF routine, do you have any?
I can't find any good links for the full ICF routine, do you have any?

[video="youtube;feY6vi6ORXo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feY6vi6ORXo[/video]
Reply 11
Original post by Illidan_Stormrage

Agreed, I have about 6 months of SS and made some terrific strength gains, not so much in the way of aesthetic though lol,

and surely if my diet was at fault I wouldnt of progressed in terms of weight progression?

I dont think it is though Im pretty strict with my diet, since I started eating better I actualy perfer my "healthier" meals lol
Original post by LukeM90
it might not be the best but the smith machine is your friend lol

I use it for bench press just because im not gona do as heavy I can lift without a spotter, atleast the smith acts as a safety net so to speak!

I completely disagree mate. You aren't aiming to go to failure so I don't see a problem with benching alone. You just have to be smart. If possible bench in the rack, depending on whether your gym is 'set up' so you can do that.
Reply 13
Original post by Converse Rocker
I completely disagree mate. You aren't aiming to go to failure so I don't see a problem with benching alone. You just have to be smart. If possible bench in the rack, depending on whether your gym is 'set up' so you can do that.

well thats fair enough but Ive progressed quite alright safely too (dont want to be the noob who dies dropping a barbell on themselves lol) and tbh I dont want to be that guy who uses a squat rack for benching, there is only one big hammer strength (I think) squat rack in the place, and sometimes its hard enough to get on to do a set of squats (because there is only one)

seeing someone bench in it would jus piss everyone else off, especially when there is a smith machine and like 5 different level benches and 2 free/moveable ones

Alot of people do disagree with the smith machine bit but I dont feel I've been hindered in anyway, indeed my best development physically (main goal) is on my chest and all I do for chest atm is smith machine bench lol I just like it for the safety net of being able to do as much weight as I can without a spotter or the risk of dropping it on myself

Like my current bench is upto 80kg and whilst thats not really all that heavy, I wouldnt feel confident doing it alone with no spotter despite being able to complete the sets, because alone there isnt really the safety net of just being able to drop it on lock the bar, if that makes sense,

Again just tyring to justify why I use it,
Original post by LukeM90

Fair enough, I appreciate that not everybody has the same equipment or the chance to move the gym around. I'd say you could do the roll of shame rather than dropping it on yourself, though.

On a slightly different note, you don't 'bench' 80kg. You can put 80kg on the smith machine but that's not really benching. If you are going for aesthetics though it won't matter to you, it depends on what your goals are obviously. :smile: Out of curiosity do you touch your chest when benching? Maybe it was the where I had the bench but I found that more uncomfortable on the smith machine as well.

I'm not trying to call out your lifts for using the smith or anything mate. I personally dislike the thing so probably get rant-y when someone brings it up. Do what makes you happy pal.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Converse Rocker
Fair enough, I appreciate that not everybody has the same equipment or the chance to move the gym around. I'd say you could do the roll of shame rather than dropping it on yourself, though.

On a slightly different note, you don't 'bench' 80kg. You can put 80kg on the smith machine but that's not really benching. If you are going for aesthetics though it won't matter to you, it depends on what your goals are obviously. :smile: Out of curiosity do you touch your chest when benching? Maybe it was the where I had the bench but I found that more uncomfortable on the smith machine as well.

I'm not trying to call out your lifts for using the smith or anything mate. I personally dislike the thing so probably get rant-y when someone brings it up. Do what makes you happy pal.

I usualy bring the bar just to where its touching say my shirt but not full on pressing the skin, because I find if I do that I might try and "bounce it of the chest" a bit to make it easier for myself lol, which I dont like doing.

I admire people going purely for strength/sports performance though its alot more nobel than just wanting to look tanked/bigger xD

once I feel more confident in my lifts I probably will move off the smith for bench but I'l probably wait till I change my routine to the one that includes flys anyway

other than that everything seems fine solo, though my deadlifts kinda halted at 120 but I think thats because I was using the ss which states doing 1 set of 5 which feels like it would progress faster with more sets but thats just me, dont think my back would thank me for it though lol
Some good advice here!

If I'm going for strength (will probably follow SS now rather than SL as the advised here) but also looking to burn fat, should I be loading calories for strength building or cutting calories for fat burn?

Also as a complete newbie to the gym, what the best way to 'learn' good technique, I've read quite a bit about each lift, but obviously reading how to do it and actually doing it are two different things.

Also have read mixed advice about starting with an empty bar, or half my max reps, which would you suggest?
Original post by LukeM90
well thats fair enough but Ive progressed quite alright safely too (dont want to be the noob who dies dropping a barbell on themselves lol) and tbh I dont want to be that guy who uses a squat rack for benching, there is only one big hammer strength (I think) squat rack in the place, and sometimes its hard enough to get on to do a set of squats (because there is only one)

seeing someone bench in it would jus piss everyone else off, especially when there is a smith machine and like 5 different level benches and 2 free/moveable ones

Alot of people do disagree with the smith machine bit but I dont feel I've been hindered in anyway, indeed my best development physically (main goal) is on my chest and all I do for chest atm is smith machine bench lol I just like it for the safety net of being able to do as much weight as I can without a spotter or the risk of dropping it on myself

Like my current bench is upto 80kg and whilst thats not really all that heavy, I wouldnt feel confident doing it alone with no spotter despite being able to complete the sets, because alone there isnt really the safety net of just being able to drop it on lock the bar, if that makes sense,

Funny thing is the 'risk' you are trying to avoid is probably worse on the Smith machine in a different way i.e. your shoulders
The bar doesn't travel in a straight line when you free bench but on the Smith it does. So you have less room to manoeuvre and long term you're straining the **** out of your shoulders.

Tbh you just need to man up, put on as low weight as needed leaving the ego at the door, and start free benching. It's not that hard. Total newbs up and down the country do it everyday.

If you are adamant you don't want to barbell bench for fear of dropping it on yourself, you can always use dumbbells (although progress can be slower).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by silent ninja
Funny thing is the 'risk' you are trying to avoid is probably worse on the Smith machine in a different way i.e. your shoulders
The bar doesn't travel in a straight line when you free bench but on the Smith it does. So you have less room to manoeuvre and long term you're straining the **** out of your shoulders.

Tbh you just need to man up, put on as low weight as needed leaving the ego at the door, and start free benching. It's not that hard. Total newbs up and down the country do it everyday.

If you are adamant you don't want to barbell bench for fear of dropping it on yourself, you can always use dumbbells (although progress can be slower).

Posted from TSR Mobile

tbh itl probably be fine lowering the weight because im upping my rep range soon anyway for a slightly different routine so Il have to drop a bit anyway is what im saying, tbh though I dont care how much people see me lifting because i'm in there for my own benefit not to measure dicks like alot of the guys lol.

theres this guy whos there everytime I go for example and he jus curls the whole time, infront of a mirror =/
Reply 19
Original post by LukeM90
tbh itl probably be fine lowering the weight because im upping my rep range soon anyway for a slightly different routine so Il have to drop a bit anyway is what im saying, tbh though I dont care how much people see me lifting because i'm in there for my own benefit not to measure dicks like alot of the guys lol.

theres this guy whos there everytime I go for example and he jus curls the whole time, infront of a mirror =/

Depending on your body weight I'd expect a pretty large gap between your free bench and Smith bench if you Smith bench 80kg for reps. Switch ASAP. I don't get why you won't; from what you've said your gym is well equipped for benching. Just go on a free one and ask someone to spot you! 99% of people won't mind.

Quick Reply

Latest