The Student Room Group

Stronglifts 5x5 - Anyone tried it/know about it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tooosh
Depending on your body weight I'd expect a pretty large gap between your free bench and Smith bench if you Smith bench 80kg for reps. Switch ASAP. I don't get why you won't; from what you've said your gym is well equipped for benching. Just go on a free one and ask someone to spot you! 99% of people won't mind.

I guess I should tbh, just out of interest what do you suppose I could bench free if im doin 80 on a smith? or would I be better of starting low and working up till I find what feels right?

maybe 50-60kg?

tbh only time I've ever really interupted someone else workout was to ask this guy who was hanging around the rack while I was on it if he wanted to get on during my rests, he seemed quite thankful tbh, so maybe your right and someone wont mind me asking for a hand.

and yeh the gym is great if you need a bench, I dont like that there is only one squat rack but I hear thats pretty standard in alot of places, fortunately I never have any bother getting on any of the other kit I use, I would of thought the assisted pull up especially would be popular

thanks for the reply btw people (tooosh, silent ninja, Converse Rocker) I just have always went alone and just got on with my own thing regardless, so I dont really talk to other gym goes much while working out (listening to music) but judging on the fact all 3 of you have said the same thing (I see you all in most of the fitness/bb threads xD) I will take note of your words and give it a go next day that involves bench (saturday)

cheers
Original post by NiceToMeetYou
If I'm going for strength (will probably follow SS now rather than SL as the advised here) but also looking to burn fat, should I be loading calories for strength building or cutting calories for fat burn?

Others feel free to disagree with me on this, but I think SS is quite a bad idea for someone trying to lose fat. It is designed to increase your strength as fast as possible, progressing almost every workout. This just isn't feasible on a low calorie diet, so I would be wary of using such a routine. As a beginner, it's usually not a good idea to go adjusting the programs written by those that know their ****. I think Rip (Mark Rippetoe; the author of SS) has his diet advice a little OTT, but you can get the essence of what I mean from this article here.

http://startingstrength.com/articles/clarification_rippetoe.pdf

Were I you, I would find a routine with a little more volume than SS and aimed at slower progressions - weekly or fortnightly, perhaps. At first you'll be able to progress very fast as you get used to the movements, but this will slow down pretty quick if you aren't eating much. Speaking of more volume...

Also as a complete newbie to the gym, what the best way to 'learn' good technique, I've read quite a bit about each lift, but obviously reading how to do it and actually doing it are two different things.

Also have read mixed advice about starting with an empty bar, or half my max reps, which would you suggest?

...the best way to learn the movements is to do them a lot. If you're on a program that only has you doing your compounds heavy (a few sets of 5 reps or less, for example), you might want to do some extra sets at a much lighter weight to ingrain the movements more efficiently.

Starting is significantly easier if you have a buddy who knows correct form. What you should usually do is start with the bar and perform a couple of sets of 5 reps (or 8 or 12 reps or whatever it is you'll be doing for your work sets). Then add some weight (how much will depend on how easy the first set was) and do another set of 5. Then add weight and do another set etc. etc. When your form first starts to slip in the slightest (and this is why you want your knowledgeable buddy), you've reached your working weight for your first day. Perform your 3 or 5 or however many sets you're supposed to be doing that day at that weight. And then next workout, add however much your program calls for. Voila. If you don't have a buddy, you could ask a PT (and cross your fingers that they know their ****), take videos and post them here or on another forum or just trust your own self-awareness and knowledge.

Always do several warmup sets for compound lifts, usually starting with just the bar.
(edited 10 years ago)
Run the program on a smaller calorie surplus and you'll be able to keep your fat in check. You won't gain as much strength but it doesn't really matter.
Original post by LukeM90
I admire people going purely for strength/sports performance though its alot more nobel than just wanting to look tanked/bigger xD

I wouldn't say it's noble mate, just different. If there's one thing that gets annoying it's people getting all high and mighty just because they train for strength.

once I feel more confident in my lifts I probably will move off the smith for bench but I'l probably wait till I change my routine to the one that includes flys anyway

The best way to feel comfortable benching is to start benching. It'll feel pretty different so why not start now is how I look at it :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Converse Rocker
I wouldn't say it's noble mate, just different. If there's one thing that gets annoying it's people getting all high and mighty just because they train for strength.

The best way to feel comfortable benching is to start benching. It'll feel pretty different so why not start now is how I look at it :smile:

true though I cant do it till saturday anyway, moving house atm lol, luckily though my new place is within walking distance of my gym (used to take 20-30 mins drive) so there is a huge upside lol

on a side note, having no internet at the new house feels like being in a different world lol (glad my job is so easy going and I can jus browse this between work lol)

looking forward to getting back in the gym mind, I actually miss it and its only been several days lol
Original post by LukeM90
true though I cant do it till saturday anyway, moving house atm lol, luckily though my new place is within walking distance of my gym (used to take 20-30 mins drive) so there is a huge upside lol

on a side note, having no internet at the new house feels like being in a different world lol (glad my job is so easy going and I can jus browse this between work lol)

looking forward to getting back in the gym mind, I actually miss it and its only been several days lol

laughing-lol-crazy-l.png
Original post by Implication
Others feel free to disagree with me on this, but I think SS is quite a bad idea for someone trying to lose fat. It is designed to increase your strength as fast as possible, progressing almost every workout. This just isn't feasible on a low calorie diet, so I would be wary of using such a routine. As a beginner, it's usually not a good idea to go adjusting the programs written by those that know their ****. I think Rip (Mark Rippetoe; the author of SS) has his diet advice a little OTT, but you can get the essence of what I mean from this article here.

http://startingstrength.com/articles/clarification_rippetoe.pdf

Were I you, I would find a routine with a little more volume than SS and aimed at slower progressions - weekly or fortnightly, perhaps. At first you'll be able to progress very fast as you get used to the movements, but this will slow down pretty quick if you aren't eating much. Speaking of more volume...

...the best way to learn the movements is to do them a lot. If you're on a program that only has you doing your compounds heavy (a few sets of 5 reps or less, for example), you might want to do some extra sets at a much lighter weight to ingrain the movements more efficiently.

Starting is significantly easier if you have a buddy who knows correct form. What you should usually do is start with the bar and perform a couple of sets of 5 reps (or 8 or 12 reps or whatever it is you'll be doing for your work sets). Then add some weight (how much will depend on how easy the first set was) and do another set of 5. Then add weight and do another set etc. etc. When your form first starts to slip in the slightest (and this is why you want your knowledgeable buddy), you've reached your working weight for your first day. Perform your 3 or 5 or however many sets you're supposed to be doing that day at that weight. And then next workout, add however much your program calls for. Voila. If you don't have a buddy, you could ask a PT (and cross your fingers that they know their ****), take videos and post them here or on another forum or just trust your own self-awareness and knowledge.

Always do several warmup sets for compound lifts, usually starting with just the bar.

Thanks for the advice :smile: Do you have any suggestions for programmes to follow? (there is so many to choose from)
Thanks for the advice :smile: Do you have any suggestions for programmes to follow? (there is so many to choose from)

This will be controversial, but if you want something familiar you could try a (non-****) bodypart split. Or try a traditionally more "intermediate" program aimed at slower progressions, such as an upper/lower split, beginner's 5/3/1 etc.

If you do a split, keep it simple - with heavy compounds - and as close to something like this as possible

Spoiler

Plenty of people on the internet are against bodypart splits, but there's no reason they shouldn't work as well as if not better than other programs if they're done correctly. Just make sure you get your diet right (don't lose weight too fast unless you're huge, keep the protein high) and whatever routine you choose (so long as it isn't hugely intense) will get you making good progress.

But don't just take me at my word. Do you research, listen to what other people have to say and do what you think is best. In reality, your routine is probably less important than your diet and lifestyle in changing the way you look. As long as your routine is balanced and progressive, you'll be fine if you get the rest right.
Reply 28
> Training as a natty + less than 5 years solid lifting
> Suggests body part split

u wut m8?

Good luck with all your lack of gains in 2013.

Until you're relatively strong and big there is just no point in doing anything else but full-body strength routines with added assists. Be is strong lifts, SS, or ICF (my personal choice) it doesn't matter. Too much thinking going on. I've been there before and it's all just bull. Tried everything under the sun but undoubtedly making the best strength and aesthetic gains just sticking to ICF. Simple lifts done properly with a few isolation exercises that are designed to actually help you lift more heavy weight in the compounds.

Stop spinning your wheels with crappy routines and splits. You're a natty, probably not genetically blessed, and probably don't want to spend a lifetime trying to get the 'ultimate' routine. Just freaking lift heavy weights and progressively overload.

Weightlifting, getting big and strong is so simple. Information age has destroyed the average bloke with goals. Unrealistic expectations, too much broscience, too much anti-broscience, too many opinions, too many products, too much crap.

Lift compounds 3 times a week with iso's as assistance work, eat like a monster, progressively overload and magically see results.

/thread

inb4 people start whining about a million different things "but lyle says abc" etc
Original post by SPB
> Training as a natty + less than 5 years solid lifting
> Suggests body part split

u wut m8?

Good luck with all your lack of gains in 2013.

Until you're relatively strong and big there is just no point in doing anything else but full-body strength routines with added assists. Be is strong lifts, SS, or ICF (my personal choice) it doesn't matter. Too much thinking going on. I've been there before and it's all just bull. Tried everything under the sun but undoubtedly making the best strength and aesthetic gains just sticking to ICF. Simple lifts done properly with a few isolation exercises that are designed to actually help you lift more heavy weight in the compounds.

Stop spinning your wheels with crappy routines and splits. You're a natty, probably not genetically blessed, and probably don't want to spend a lifetime trying to get the 'ultimate' routine. Just freaking lift heavy weights and progressively overload.

Weightlifting, getting big and strong is so simple. Information age has destroyed the average bloke with goals. Unrealistic expectations, too much broscience, too much anti-broscience, too many opinions, too many products, too much crap.

Lift compounds 3 times a week with iso's as assistance work, eat like a monster, progressively overload and magically see results.

/thread

inb4 people start whining about a million different things "but lyle says abc" etc

I agree about the overthinking. As I said, if you're on a non-retarded routine and are eating right, then you will progress and everything is fine.

But plenty of people do make good progress on bodypart splits (they might have made better on full-body routines, true), and there is no fundamental reason that they shouldn't work so far as I can see. I just don't think a program designed for someone consuming up to 9000 calories a day (lol rip) with progression every single work-out is ideal for someone trying to lose weight. I'm just advocating a routine with slower progression.
Hi, as the title says does anyone have any experience with this good or bad?

5x5 was the first program I did and it was brilliant for getting started - only compound lifts with no 'lift until you cripple over' attitude or high intensity bullcrap...SL 5x5 is really weight training at its bare bones - personally, I'd recommend it for beginners/absolute beginners.
I think the OP should do all pro's routine. It's a fullbody made for absolute beginners, ICF is good but it's for more advanced beginners and should be done after doing a few months of AP.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155009423
Splits suck for natty's because:

progressive overload is crap compared to full body routines

protein synthesis elevation for each muscle will only occur for 48 hours a week

the amount of effort you can put into each muscle group will be limited because you will put all your effort into the first exercise then have your effort in each exercise after that greatly diminished.
Reply 33
Original post by Illidan_Stormrage

u wut m7?

SS/ICF/5x5 all use progressive overload.
Reply 34
Original post by SPB
u wut m7?

SS/ICF/5x5 all use progressive overload.

Maybe it would help if you read all of his post, from the beginning.
Reply 35
Original post by Illidan_Stormrage
Splits suck for natty's because:

protein synthesis elevation for each muscle will only occur for 48 hours a week

the amount of effort you can put into each muscle group will be limited because you will put all your effort into the first exercise then have your effort in each exercise after that greatly diminished.

I've done a few sessions of a split and I agree. I'm completely recovered in 2-3 days plus effort definitely goes down a LOT throughout the session.

Gonna look into reordering the exercises into a higher frequency format.
Reply 36
Original post by rlw31
Maybe it would help if you read all of his post, from the beginning.

Nope, he still wrong brah.
Reply 37
Original post by SPB
Nope, he still wrong brah.

He's saying that the progressive overload in splits is crap compared to full body routines, such as SS/ICF/5x5. It's not that hard to follow.
Reply 38
Original post by rlw31
He's saying that the progressive overload in splits is crap compared to full body routines, such as SS/ICF/5x5. It's not that hard to follow.

Maybe you have to speak potato to understand the point he was making. I'm not convinced that's what he meant but if he did he chose the absolute worst way to make that point.

Squid style posting. Taste my negs Croatia style.
Reply 39
Original post by SPB
Maybe you have to speak potato to understand the point he was making. I'm not convinced that's what he meant but if he did he chose the absolute worst way to make that point.

Squid style posting. Taste my negs Croatia style.

It was completely clear what he was saying. Unless you've never seen a list before :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest