The Student Room Group

Twitter under fire for their inability to tackle cyber-crime.

Twitter have come under fire for not taking enough measures to help victims of cyber-crime and deal with offensive material.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jul/29/twitter-abuse-dealing-with-trolls-options

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/twitter/10209122/Twitter-abuse-report-button-planned.html

Personally, I couldn't agree more. Right now there is a racist photoshopped picture of me, posted by someone I dislike strongly, on Twitter. I've reported it countless times using their 'form'. They took over a week to respond, and their response was an automated message telling me they will respond soon.

Two weeks later, they respond telling me I need to FAX them ID of myself. This is their way of communicating with victims, fax. To top it off, I reported the incident to the police who formally warned the individual and have documented the image and him as racist. The only reason they didn't arrest him is because I had the option and told them not to, because I had exams that week and didn't want to be giving statements at a police station. I gave Twitter a reference number and the contact details of the police station to verify this. They didn't care.

Here's their response over 2 weeks after the initial report from me.

Hey [NAME]

We need to confirm your identity in order to further investigate this report. Please provide a faxed copy of a valid photo ID (i.e., driver’s license, passport) within 48 hours of receiving this email.

Please fax the document to Twitter at [NUMBERS HERE]. This is a United States number, so be sure to include the appropriate international dialing code if you're sending from outside the United States.

Include your ticket number and write “Attention: User Safety, Twitter Inc. -@ikejanes.” We need to be able to see your full name and photo on the faxed ID, so please try to send a legible copy. This information will be kept confidential, and will be deleted once we have used it to confirm your identity.

For security reasons, we are only able to accept this information via fax; our systems strip incoming email attachments. If a fax machine is unavailable, you can send a fax from your computer for free through third-party services such as FaxZero (http://faxzero.com/), Popfax (http://www.popfax.com/), or efax (http://www.efax.com/).

Thanks,

ikejanes
Twitter Trust & Safety

How many teenagers these days use fax? When was the last time you faxed somebody. It's embarrassing. And why do they need my ID? What if a concerned citizen saw the image and reported it? Would that then have no validity? They only take reports from victims themselves? Great work Twitter, but it's not 1960.

And finally, in contrast, the individual posted the same image on Facebook a day before. I reported it at the touch of a button. They reviewed and removed the image within 24 hours, and permanently banned the individual.

In a world where teenage suicide is at an all time high due to the internet (http://www.samaritans.org/sites/default/files/kcfinder/files/research/Samaritans%20Suicide%20Statistics%20Report%202013.pdf) Twitter are shameful in taking months to deal with issues Facebook deals with in a day. Fortunately i'm a strong character and can take abuse, what about those teenagers who've had enough? Disgusting Twitter, disgusting.

Scroll to see replies

I really think social media sites need to do more! I understand that it isn't always easy and there are problems with anonymity but I'm sure they can do more.

I spend quite a lot of time reporting posts and images to Facebook on a SPOTTED page of my uni where there were extreme sexist, racist and all forms of cyber bullying taken place. Facebook's response to me was that there was nothing that could be done as they hadn't broken copyright issues so it wasn't against their terms of use!

Most of the comments on the page were centered around rape but Facebook still refused to do nothing despite the large number of people reporting the page (including officials from our uni)
uploading images with your face
reading my ****post
shiggydiggy
A modern social media site requires a fax machine to communicate? They don't even want to use their own service to talk to people? That says a lot.

I dislike Twitter so don't have an account but they can't just set up a platform for people to abuse others and step back to let the police deal with the mess its facilitated, they definitely need to do more.
Reply 4
I don't get cyber bullying at all tbh. I know in cases like twitter it may be unavoidable. But surely the best way to stop it is to simply unfriend/block people? Or simply stop using that site?
Reply 5
People are so ignorant to what they say on social media. They feel somewhat deindividuated. They feel they can say whatever they want, and it's fine, because its social media. Social media is media.

You wouldn't see those sorts of images or death threats or whatever in other media: newspapers, TV or on the radio. If that did happen, it would cause public outrage.

Twitter are so negligent it's unreal. Laws are changing and more and more people are being brought to justice for what they say on the internet.
Since when the **** has freedom of speech been declared a crime!?
Original post by Extremotroph

Threatening to rape someone is a crime, and has been for decades. Freedom of speech doesn't really exist you know, and nor should it if it allows these idiots to go round making threats behind a keyboard.
Original post by bottled
I don't get cyber bullying at all tbh. I know in cases like twitter it may be unavoidable. But surely the best way to stop it is to simply unfriend/block people? Or simply stop using that site?

There have been cases of people posting on websites dedicated to providing help with mental health issues etc asking for help as they have no where else to go with trolls then posting telling them to go kill themselves. I'm pretty sure these individuals don't decide to just take themselves off the site and then everything will be fine.
Thankfully I was in a strong enough place at the time but I've had messages telling me to kill myself and that I'm worthless etc which if I had received at a different time in my life I may have done something serious.
Reply 9
It is very frustrating and for people who are receiving such abuse, upsetting and damaging.

The acid test for a Tweet should simply be, "Would you say the same thing to the person's face, with an audience of 20,000?"

I very much doubt most of the people threatening rape this week would say such vile things to their faces with their identity exposed and large audience of strangers.
Reply 10
Original post by ChelseyElla
I really think social media sites need to do more! I understand that it isn't always easy and there are problems with anonymity but I'm sure they can do more.

I spend quite a lot of time reporting posts and images to Facebook on a SPOTTED page of my uni where there were extreme sexist, racist and all forms of cyber bullying taken place. Facebook's response to me was that there was nothing that could be done as they hadn't broken copyright issues so it wasn't against their terms of use!

Most of the comments on the page were centered around rape but Facebook still refused to do nothing despite the large number of people reporting the page (including officials from our uni)

That sounds pathetic.

Infact, I think this sums it up better:

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Threatening to rape someone is a crime, and has been for decades. Freedom of speech doesn't really exist you know, and nor should it if it allows these idiots to go round making threats behind a keyboard.

I agree in saying freedom of speech doesn't really exist. However, it takes 2 people to be insulted, one to throw and one to catch, and both participants are there by their own will.

I also agree that one shouldn't threaten others over the internet unless it's on xbox live.
I agree in saying freedom of speech doesn't really exist. However, it takes 2 people to be insulted, one to throw and one to catch, and both participants are there by their own will.

I also agree that one shouldn't threaten others over the internet unless it's on xbox live.

Sure, but if the only answer for the victim is to simply remove themselves from the site that isn't good enough really, it's like saying if you're being constantly harassed by your neighbours instead of informing the police, move to a different neighbourhood. People should be held accountable for their actions, and it shouldn't be the victim who shuts themselves off from everything just in case a troll decides to message them.

Also, thank god there's the mute button on Xbox Live :wink:
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Sure, but if the only answer for the victim is to simply remove themselves from the site that isn't enough really, it's like saying if you're being constantly harassed by your neighbours instead of informing the police, move to a different neighbourhood. People should be held accountable for their actions, and it shouldn't be the victim who shuts themselves off from everything just in case a troll decides to message them.

Also, thank god there's the mute button on Xbox Live :wink:

I appreciate your point, but what I meant to get across is that an insult is only an insult when you think of it in terms of an insult.

And lol :tongue:
Reply 14
I don't think you should prosecute someone for what they say online (most of the time) because saying "I want to rape you". Is offensive but how do you no that they are being serious? it could be just a random comment. If you look at lots of videos on youtube at the comments there are lots of offensive comments but they shouldn't be taken seriously, especially on some of the youtube videos of girl gamers (especially) there are lots of comments but the video maker knows that, a comment like that doesn't affect them and just ignores it. If it's said in real life it affects you but online it affects you a lot less (or almost none, most of the time).

Cyber bullying is bad when it's someone you know in real life or they know your in real life name, in my opinion.

example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM7cbysz6Z0
(edited 10 years ago)
Anonymity is key on the internet. "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth" (or something). There are those who will abuse it but that is the cost of freedom. If each and every person were held to the things that they have said online and off and the world would be full criminals.

There is a big difference between things that are said and things that are done. Many have had death threats online or telling you to kill yourself but they meaningless. Although the bullies are at fault so are the victims for letting themselves become victims. If anything stupid people shouldn't be allowed on social networking "I read it on the internet so it must be true". (#cutforbieber is proof and point).

If you don't like what is on the internet leave.
Reply 16

Since people like yourself use 'freedom of speech' to justify such blatant, and above all, obvious harassment with the intent to alarm and distress somebody. Death threats, racism and threats with the intent to rape. You think 'freedom of speech' blankets these? Can't stand ignorance from people that think they can shelter themselves under the illusion, or should I say, delusion, that 'freedom of speech' erodes all sense of the word 'crime'.
Reply 17
Original post by DiddyDec
Anonymity is key on the internet. "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth" (or something). There are those who will abuse it but that is the cost of freedom. If each and every person were held to the things that they have said online and off and the world would be full criminals.

True, the internet is one of the last true bastions of free speech. It's also the wild-west. What point are you trying to make exactly? Nobody's saying 'close the internet down'. All people want is a report button on a social networking site, and a company that aknwoeldges that death threats, racism and rape threats (for example) no matter what platform they are expressed on, are a crime. There is nothing unreasonable about this.

There is a big difference between things that are said and things that are done. Many have had death threats online or telling you to kill yourself but they meaningless.

Yup. There is a distinct difference Once again, your point? Are you saying nobody should be held responsible for what they have said online? So applying your logic to the criminal justice system: attempted murder would be of no significance, and only when it reaches 'murder' does it then become significant? Bit of a regressive ideology there caused by nothing more than complacency.

If you neutralize what is said, you prevent what is done, it's not difficult.

You also say 'many have received death threats online' - any statistics or concrete evidence to justify the 'many' figure?

Although the bullies are at fault so are the victims for letting themselves become victims. If anything stupid people shouldn't be allowed on social networking "I read it on the internet so it must be true". (#cutforbieber is proof and point).

This doesn't make any sense. You're making the (very offensive) assumption people ask for death threats? Then jump to two completely different points.

If you don't like what is on the internet leave.

Why? Not been watching the news recently? Aware of what David Cameron's trying to stop? That's on the internet. So are you saying if you don't like that, you should leave the internet? Rethink that statement.
Reply 18
But.... I thought we live in the progressive 21st century where we can enjoy "freedom of speech".
Reply 19
Original post by Al-Mudaari
But.... I thought we live in the progressive 21st century where we can enjoy "freedom of speech".

Since when did freedom of speech become justification for criminal acts? You're also naive to believe we have totality in freedom of speech. With good reason, we don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending