The Student Room Group

Can humans live without eating meat?

I invoke the wisdom of TSR to help me clarify this question. I hear some people saying that a healthy diet needs x component that can only be found in animals while others say that all components of a healthy diet can be found in non-animals. What's your stance? Can we live without eating meat?
Note: I am not asking whether or not we are designed to eat meat. I am asking if we can live without eating meat.
Make sure to back up your claims with empirical evidence.
Reply 1
Never heard of vegetarians?
Reply 2
Original post by Michaelj
Never heard of vegetarians?

Of course I have but I don't know if their health is as good as non-vegetarians.
Reply 3
Yes - it is certainly easier for us to acquire most of the protein and energy that we require by eating meat but we could survive perfectly well by acquiring protein through nuts etc and plenty of vegetarians do.

We could also potentially get a load more protein from eating insects than we currently do from mammals - not sure if insects count as 'meat'?
Take a look at the following:
http://brown.edu/Student_Services/Health_Services/Health_Education/nutrition_&_eating_concerns/being_a_vegetarian.php

It was written by an educational institution so i'm confident that it is well researched.
Reply 5
You can, easily, but you do need to supplement the elements that you would otherwise only get through meat.

Though why you'd want to miss out on bacon is beyond me :coma:
Reply 6
I've been a vegetarian for 17 years and doctors over the years (through blood tests) have told me I've never been lacking in any vitamin. I do eat a wide range of fruits, vegetables and proteins though. You can't be a vegetarian, fussy and healthy.
Yes, if you can call it living. What is life without bacon but a lingering, survival..an existence.
Reply 8
It is very possible to live a very healthy life without meat. But what would life be without meat?

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=550912
Reply 9
Yes, you can. You don't have to eat meat, but you need a source of B12 which can either be from dietary supplements or dairy products (which is not meat)

Vitamin B12 is a complicated vitamin with a unique absorption mechanism and a number of inactive analogues (molecules that appear to be active B12, but actually are not) that possibly interfere with its function. Vitamin B12 is generally found in all animal foods (except honey). Contrary to the many rumors, there are no reliable, unfortified plant sources of vitamin B12, including tempeh, seaweeds, and organic produce. One of the earliest studies conducted on vegans, from the U.K. in 1955, described significant vitamin B12 deficiency in the vegans with some suffering from nerve damage and dementia. This, as well as many case studies since then of vitamin B12 deficiency in vegans, and a great deal of other evidence detailed here, has led to the overwhelming consensus in the mainstream nutrition community, as well as among vegan health professionals, that vitamin B12 fortified foods or supplements are necessary for the optimal health of vegans, and even vegetarians in many cases. Luckily, vitamin B12 is made by bacteria such that it does not need to be obtained from animal products.

Despite the overwhelming evidnence that vegans without a reliable source of vitamin B12 are likely harming their health, some vegan advocates still believe that "plant foods provide all the nutrients necessary for optimal health," and do not address vitamin B12 when promoting the vegan diet. Other advocates acknowledge the need for B12, but only as an afterthought. And still others emphasize that humans need only small amounts of B12 and that it can be stored in the body for years.

While true that, at the time they become vegan, some people have enough B12 stored in their liver to prevent overt B12 deficiency for many years, people often misinterpret this to mean that you only need to consume a tiny amount once every few years. Actually, to build up such stores, it takes years of consuming B12 beyond one's daily needs (unless you are using supplements which can build up stores more quickly). Some people do not have large enough stores of B12 to be relied upon for optimal health even for short periods.

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Juichiro
I invoke the wisdom of TSR to help me clarify this question. I hear some people saying that a healthy diet needs x component that can only be found in animals while others say that all components of a healthy diet can be found in non-animals. What's your stance? Can we live without eating meat?
Note: I am not asking whether or not we are designed to eat meat. I am asking if we can live without eating meat.
Make sure to back up your claims with empirical evidence.

I've been lacto-vegetarian for the past 19 years.. 5'11 180lb DYEL? Although, I get most of my protein from Whey(milk). Also, I pop a multi once in a while, even though I get more than 5 a day.
Reply 11
You can, although it's harder/you need to be quite nutritionally aware to ensure you're getting enough essential aminos among other things. However my mental health would deteriorate after just a few days of no meat, so that's a different story altogether
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by John Stuart Mill
Take a look at the following:
http://brown.edu/Student_Services/Health_Services/Health_Education/nutrition_&_eating_concerns/being_a_vegetarian.php

It was written by an educational institution so i'm confident that it is well researched.

Thanks for the link. Are you interested in classical utilitarianism by any chance? :tongue:
No, Vegetarians are mythical creatures... Like elves and pixies.
Reply 14
Interesting, so it is doable as long as you are educated nutrition-wise.
Reply 15
A life without meat is not a life worth living.
Reply 16
Original post by RtGOAT
A life without meat is not a life worth living.

Maybe I should eat you then. :colone:
Reply 17
well idont seemyquantitty of vegetarian friendsor the one vegan one dropping dead so yeah id say we can.
Reply 18
Living vegan here :O
I take a B12 supplement and eat flaxseed for omega 3 (dedication, flaxseed tastes horrible).
I'm not lacking anything as has been thoroughly tested following a health issue that turned out to be genetic :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I'm 22, vegetarian my whole life, properly vegan for around a 18 months and practically vegan for 4 years before that. I'm still very much alive and entirely healthy. I drink soy milk with added B12 and take flax seed. Prior to becoming vegan and at the same time becoming interest in health/fitness I didn't take any supplements so I survived healthily for over 20 years with no particular nutritional knowledge. My parents aren't particularly educated on nutrition either, they worked on the basis that feed my a varied diet of mostly healthy stuff.

The average meat eaters diet isn't nutritionally perfect, neither is the average vegetarian's of vegan's. With all it is possible to be healthy enough to not have serious problems and with all it is possible to eat a diet that maximises nutrition benefits. Being healthy and vegetarian of vegan isn't complicated. It's just that all significant diet changes take some adjusting to so for most people who becoming vegetarian or vegan they need to think about meals more but it isn't some intrinsic part of not eating meat- I'd assume it's be the same if you gave up something like gluten.

ETA: I also have no problem with protein, I can eat 150g+ a day on around 3000 calories without protein powder.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest