The Student Room Group

Do you hate it when websites force you to change your password?

Poll

Do you hate being forced to change your password?

I absolutely DETEST being forced to change my password, and then being banned from changing it back to what it was.

There are some tricks to to beat the system, like changing your Google password 100 times, then change back to your old password because Google only remembers your last 100 passwords (I actually did this) but for some other places it doesn't work.

And some website choose to kick you further when you're down, having already banned from changing my password back to banning passwords like "abcdefg" etc etc.

Anyone else like this? I try to have "tiered" master passwords for what it is I'm logging into.
Never been on a site that required a constant password change. Sounds horrible though.
Reply 2
It is a pain, but I don't know many websites that do this anymore (in fact, none spring to mind atm).

Corporate IT systems do, but then that often makes sense as it's not just your data your password is protecting; it's the entire organisation's.
Reply 3
Original post by DarkWhite
It is a pain, but I don't know many websites that do this anymore (in fact, none spring to mind atm).

Corporate IT systems do, but then that often makes sense as it's not just your data your password is protecting; it's the entire organisation's.

Well, no. It's cos of false security alerts.

They think that someone is trying to log into my account when that's just not true. Even though its a false alert, i'm being forced to change my password. And anyway, the last responsibility to change my password should lie with me.
Reply 4
Original post by thisistheend
Well, no. It's cos of false security alerts.

They think that someone is trying to log into my account when that's just not true. Even though its a false alert, i'm being forced to change my password. And anyway, the last responsibility to change my password should lie with me.

How do you know it's a false alert?

Providing it's only your own personal information, it should be your responsibility, yes. If it's something like a company account, that's different.
Reply 5
My previous online banking used to ask to change my password like every 2-3 months which was annoying because I was already used to one and they asked to make a new one :hmmm: My head is already full of tons of things to remember, I don't need one more :hmmm:
I can definately see why they want you to change it but it is a bit of a pain. My University email asks for changes every 2-3 months but it just ends up being the slight variations of the first password. Such as; Password, Password1, Password2, 1Password ect

Quick Reply

Latest