The Student Room Group

Sheffield Medicine Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1420
How do applicants know they are placed in the reserve list?
Original post by nsmedic
How do applicants know they are placed in the reserve list?

They are e-mailed directly from the admissions team. This was the case for last year.
Reply 1422
Original post by frogs r everywhere
They are e-mailed directly from the admissions team. This was the case for last year.

Same for this year Iwas emailed about it but prob they will take me off it cause today I got an offer for Cardiff.
Reply 1423
Who here is applying as a biomedical student for a transfer to medicine?
Reply 1424
Hello there, I've just firmed Sheffield. Does anyone know the link to the group for offer holders on Facebook, I can't seem to find it in this thread. Thanks in advance. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by szen95
Hello there, I've just firmed Sheffield. Does anyone know the link to the group for offer holders on Facebook, I can't seem to find it in this thread. Thanks in advance. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats on the offer, here it is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/593241874093457/
Reply 1426
Original post by Harveyg94
Congrats on the offer, here it is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/593241874093457/

Ahh, alright. I've already sent in a request, thanks very much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by szen95
Ahh, alright. I've already sent in a request, thanks very much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! :smile:
Reply 1428
Original post by vioxx
In terms of medicine at the uni, I think it's very good. They've recently changed the course for the better and I think the candidates that will be graduating in 2019 (so your year will be very strong. Dissection is taught by super smart tutors, one of whom is incredible... a world class surgeon. Sheffield medical school have matched the wages he would earn as a top surgeon to teach, and it's such a bonus he's a part of the medical school. Sheffield also has a great Children's hospital if you're interesting in paeds and it's a tertiary centre for cardiology which also has great consultants. In terms of intercalating, yes Nottingham students have this integrated into their 5 year course, but it's definitely worth less than a intercalated degree that lasts a year. The foundation program application gives you more points 4 for a 1st, compared to a max of 3 (for a first at Nottingham). I intercalated last year and managed to get 2 papers published and also present at an international conference from the research I did... the quality and oppourtunities for research are great at Sheffield. And on top of that, the course is quite chilled out compared to a lot of other medical schools. I've had a lot of spare time to pursue hobbies. MedSoc at Sheffield was voted the best in the country last year, and it has so many really good sub societies and sports teams. SurgSoc ran their own national conference for it's second year this year, getting great speakers in and getting abstracts judged by the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh. It's not all amazing as you can imagine, as the quality of teaching varies at the district general hospitals, but from my experience, the doctors at all these places are quite good at teaching.

Original post by vioxx
It's nice to have a mix of lectures, smaller group sessions, dissection and also a lot of time off to study. I personally think having a bit more time off let's you study a bit more. If you're in lectures 9-5 everyday then it's hard to do 2-3 hours when you get home, but when you only have lectures in the morning it's a lot easier! I enjoy ILAs because they are something different. It's good just to chat about topics with a group of 8-10 students. The tutor that facilitates the session really dictates how good the ILA actually is. Some take a back seat and let the students discuss learning points and others talk you through things which can be very useful if you have an experienced clinician but can also be **** if the tutor is ****.

Hi, these posts from Vioxx originally appeared in this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2620961&page=2. Are there any current students who could clarify which year was the course changed and was it a major change (like Liverpool have switched back to a traditional curriculum from PBL). What would a typical week's timetable look like e.g. number of lectures and ILAs? ILA would be Sheffield's equivalent of PBL? So some of the tutors are not experienced clinicians but non-medical staff, and then the ILA is a waste of time. This sounds a bit hit and miss. How do you have a lot of time off to study and fit in all the lectures, smaller group sessions, dissection etc. What size are the groups you are placed in for full body dissection and is any prosection involved. The world class consultants are seconded from the Hallamshire and Northern General to teach in the medical school?

You intercalate between 3rd year and 4th year - what proportion of the year group do this? Is there a cap placed on how many students are allowed to intercalate?
How good is the guidance and feedback. Do you get the equivalent of detailed specification and past papers we get in sixth form for A levels to help revise for the medical exams? Thanks in advance!
Original post by Amy_78
Hi, these posts from Vioxx originally appeared in this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2620961&page=2. Are there any current students who could clarify which year was the course changed and was it a major change (like Liverpool have switched back to a traditional curriculum from PBL). What would a typical week's timetable look like e.g. number of lectures and ILAs? ILA would be Sheffield's equivalent of PBL? So some of the tutors are not experienced clinicians but non-medical staff, and then the ILA is a waste of time. This sounds a bit hit and miss. How do you have a lot of time off to study and fit in all the lectures, smaller group sessions, dissection etc. What size are the groups you are placed in for full body dissection and is any prosection involved. The world class consultants are seconded from the Hallamshire and Northern General to teach in the medical school?

You intercalate between 3rd year and 4th year - what proportion of the year group do this? Is there a cap placed on how many students are allowed to intercalate?
How good is the guidance and feedback. Do you get the equivalent of detailed specification and past papers we get in sixth form for A levels to help revise for the medical exams? Thanks in advance!

Regarding a cap on the number of studens who can intercalate, I asked about this at interview, and they said "if there is one, we've never reached it", so I wouldn't worry about that.
Original post by Gibber96
Regarding a cap on the number of studens who can intercalate, I asked about this at interview, and they said "if there is one, we've never reached it", so I wouldn't worry about that.

I agree. I asked the same question on the day of my interview and the interviewer replied:"I haven't heard of a student that was turned away who had the endeavour to intercalate" so I would presume that if you have the intention to do a year in research, you are highly likely to pursue this, which contrasts the way other medical schools function such as Bristol. (which is one of the reason as to why I chose Sheff over Brizzle) :smile:
Reply 1431
Is anyone else on the waiting/reserve list for Sheffield Medicine. Does this mean we have a chance of getting an offer, or does it just means that if they happen to have spaces in August they will take us provided we get the grades? Anyone help please? :smile:
Original post by sm786
Is anyone else on the waiting/reserve list for Sheffield Medicine. Does this mean we have a chance of getting an offer, or does it just means that if they happen to have spaces in August they will take us provided we get the grades? Anyone help please? :smile:

Did u receive rejection email?
Reply 1433
Original post by Simon@Simon
Did u receive rejection email?
#

yes i got a rejection on ucas, but then an email saying im on the reserve/waiting list?
Original post by sm786
#

yes i got a rejection on ucas, but then an email saying im on the reserve/waiting list?

You might have a chance, though depend on where u r in the waiting list.
How's everyone feeling for September?
does anyone know what Sheffields policy is to retaking modules from AS in A2?

i got a B in chemistry AS, close to an A grade, but i want to retake a module to bump my grade up to an A,

WILL they allow this ?
Original post by RagaZ
does anyone know what Sheffields policy is to retaking modules from AS in A2?

i got a B in chemistry AS, close to an A grade, but i want to retake a module to bump my grade up to an A,

WILL they allow this ?

yes as long as you complete your A levels within 2 years you're fine. I got AABB at AS. dropped physics and kept maths bio chem to a2. retook chemistry AS coursework and physics coursework during A2 year and finished with AAAa
Original post by Basit2010
yes as long as you complete your A levels within 2 years you're fine. I got AABB at AS. dropped physics and kept maths bio chem to a2. retook chemistry AS coursework and physics coursework during A2 year and finished with AAAa

ahhh thanks mate!!

got same AS's as you
AABB, another B in physics ...going to do the same and retake modules so i hopefully end on AAAa
Original post by savage903
Im off to Sheffield in September to study medicine, if any of you guys have any questions about the admissions process feel free to ask me :smile:

Hi, I'm considering applying to Sheffield this year. Are you enjoying the course, and what are the pros/cons? Additionally, may I ask whether you got 4 As at AS, or if you know whether Sheffield accepts a B at AS Chemistry (2 UMS short of an A) if your A2 brings it up to an A overall? Or would they accept a module resit? Thanks! :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending