The Student Room Group

Sheffield Medicine Applicants 2014

There wasn't a thread for this uni, so I thought why not? Anybody else planning on applying?

From the Sheffield website:

Entry Requirements

UKCAT

GCSE requirements

Requirements for Candidates taking AS and GCE 'A' level curriculum

Other Qualifications

Higher Level Qualifications

International Qualifications

What Happens To Your Application?

How we select candidates for interview

The Interview

What Happens after the Interview?

More information can be found on the Sheffield website here
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

is Sheffield looking more closely at academics in coming years compared to previously?
Original post by medicdreamer
is Sheffield looking more closely at academics in coming years compared to previously?

I'd imagine so. Right now, its not so much a deciding factor, but I can definitely see Sheffield heading in that direction. How are your academics?
Original post by mynameisntbobk
I'd imagine so. Right now, its not so much a deciding factor, but I can definitely see Sheffield heading in that direction. How are your academics?

GCSE: 5A* 6A 1B

is this good enough? or will Sheffield rank people on GCSEs with the best selected for interview?
GCSE: 5A* 6A 1B

is this good enough? or will Sheffield rank people on GCSEs with the best selected for interview?

You're GCSEs are more than enough, way better than mine. From what I can gather, they assess GCSEs and give you an overall grade, so i guess it could be ranked in a way, although selection for interview is also dependant on your personal qualities grade
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
I am prob applying :smile: really like the medic open day last week.
Reply 6
Im off to Sheffield in September to study medicine, if any of you guys have any questions about the admissions process feel free to ask me :smile:
Original post by savage903
Im off to Sheffield in September to study medicine, if any of you guys have any questions about the admissions process feel free to ask me :smile:

What were your stats?
Reply 8
GCSE: 5A*'s 6A's
A-levels : A*A*A* ( In Chemistry, Biology and Physics)
I applied as a gap year student. My UKCAT wasn't too good, its was only 620. I'm not sure what UKCAT requirements are this year but I can tell you lots of emphasis is put on the personal statement. Have you done lots of work experience and extra curricular activities?
GCSE: 5A*'s 6A's
A-levels : A*A*A* ( In Chemistry, Biology and Physics)
I applied as a gap year student. My UKCAT wasn't too good, its was only 620. I'm not sure what UKCAT requirements are this year but I can tell you lots of emphasis is put on the personal statement. Have you done lots of work experience and extra curricular activities?

Oh wow, congrats on all of that. How did you manage those grades?

I've done a bit here and there. I've got some hospital work experience, do volunteering, and I've done a few extra curricular (debate club, theatre, athletics)
Reply 10
Oh wow, congrats on all of that. How did you manage those grades?

I've done a bit here and there. I've got some hospital work experience, do volunteering, and I've done a few extra curricular (debate club, theatre, athletics)

I think you just need to work hard and keep focused. Have you made a start on your personal statement? Its good to do a few drafts and have a look at past personal statements on TSR.
I think you just need to work hard and keep focused. Have you made a start on your personal statement? Its good to do a few drafts and have a look at past personal statements on TSR.

I'll definitely try that, though with 4 A-levels, it'll be a challenge
I've done my first draft, and I know where to head with it :smile:
Reply 12
Ahhhh, I fell in love with Sheffield on the open day. You all look really impressive though so I doubt I'll get in against all of you!

GCSEs: 2A*,5A,2B
AS: Expecting AABB/AAAB in Bio, Chem, Physics and History :afraid::afraid:
UKCAT: VR-610, QR-720, AR-720, DA-790; 710 average.
1 week GP
1 week care home
3 weeks shadowing Consultant Cardiologist + letter of recommendation
6 months in a care home on a voluntary basis
Phlebotomy course
First Aid Course
Loads of charity work and sports/drama
Going to Czech Republic with Gap Medics on Sunday :biggrin:

Does anyone think I have a realistic chance at Sheffield? I'm worried about including everything I've done in my PS and still making it look good so that I get an interview :frown: There's only 2 Med applicants in my year, so any help/support from you all would be great :smile:

Best of luck guys!

EDIT: When they say they put a lot of emphasis on the PS, do they mean how well it's written or how much medicine related stuff you've done?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by StephenNaulls
Ahhhh, I fell in love with Sheffield on the open day. You all look really impressive though so I doubt I'll get in against all of you!

GCSEs: 2A*,5A,2B
AS: Expecting AABB/AAAB in Bio, Chem, Physics and History :afraid::afraid:
UKCAT: VR-610, QR-720, AR-720, DA-790; 710 average.
1 week GP
1 week care home
3 weeks shadowing Consultant Cardiologist + letter of recommendation
6 months in a care home on a voluntary basis
Phlebotomy course
First Aid Course
Loads of charity work and sports/drama
Going to Czech Republic with Gap Medics on Sunday :biggrin:

Does anyone think I have a realistic chance at Sheffield? I'm worried about including everything I've done in my PS and still making it look good so that I get an interview :frown: There's only 2 Med applicants in my year, so any help/support from you all would be great :smile:

Best of luck guys!

EDIT: When they say they put a lot of emphasis on the PS, do they mean how well it's written or how much medicine related stuff you've done?

Well done on your high UKCAT! :smile: How long did you spend revising for it?
Can we send letter of recommendation from doctors to universities?
Does anyone know what UKCAT cut-off for Sheffield will be ?
Well done on your high UKCAT! :smile: How long did you spend revising for it?
Can we send letter of recommendation from doctors to universities?
Does anyone know what UKCAT cut-off for Sheffield will be ?

They say that people with a UKCAT of greater than 2,400 will be likely to be considered, but they don't have a cutoff as such. What was your UKCAT score?
(edited 10 years ago)
They say that people with a UKCAT of greater than 2,400 will be likely to be considered, but they don't have a cutoff as such. What was your UKCAT score?

I haven't done it yet, hoping for above 700. What was yours ? What score do you think most unis will want?
Reply 16
After you surpass the UKCAT cut-off they really don't care, its just making sure you pass that hurdle
I'd love to apply to Sheffield but I don't think I have the guts to, given that they hand out conditional offers of a 1st class degree to graduate applicants! (Someone correct me if I'm mistaken!)
I haven't done it yet, hoping for above 700. What was yours ? What score do you think most unis will want?

Oh right, well good luck for it :smile: mine was 675 average, so 2700 total, I blame VR.

I think if you got 725+, you'd be great for all UKCAT medical schools, but even without it, most unis don't have a 'cut-off', so as long as your score is above average, you can apply most places.
Original post by Cephalosporin
I'd love to apply to Sheffield but I don't think I have the guts to, given that they hand out conditional offers of a 1st class degree to graduate applicants! (Someone correct me if I'm mistaken!)

It is such a big risk, especially if you aren't predicted a 1st. Would you say that your other options are safer choices? If so, you could risk Sheffield if you wanted to, but that's what it is, a risk.
Reply 19
Anyone the UKCAT cut off last year? :smile: Also how do they use it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending