The Student Room Group

How to approach former boss?

Hi

A couple of years ago I worked in a drum shop for a while, study and uni meant I had to stop working. The thing is I went back there a week ago to buy something and then had a chat with my old boss, I then told him I was studying Accounting and that sooner or later I would be looking for a placement in the industry.

Immediately he told me to go to him so that I could stay local (pretty good). Right now I'm working in a restaurant but have plans to leave as soon as the Semester starts, I'm not particularly happy about this job.

Ideally I'd want to start working in some sort of admin or finance role but I have no experience. I will the week end and some days free when I start uni again and was thinking about asking him whether I could go in and gain some experience by observing or assisting in some of his work.

Do you have any advice on how I could approach him about this? I'm not even bothered about pay, I'd rather just leave this restaurant job and get some experience in the business/finance for the future.

Thanks
Reply 1
Go back to the shop and ask him? If you have a good working relationship with him, I'm sure he'd be pleased to hear from you, especially as he seemed keen last time you spoke. Be specific about what you want to learn and what skills you can offer in return.
Reply 2
Original post by mythtakes
Go back to the shop and ask him? If you have a good working relationship with him, I'm sure he'd be pleased to hear from you, especially as he seemed keen last time you spoke. Be specific about what you want to learn and what skills you can offer in return.

Thanks, I'm going to go in tomorrow and have a chat with him.

Quick Reply