The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Optometry Applicants

Cudn't seem to find a thread for people wanting to apply for optometry...to start in 2014! Is there anyone!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh this is great! Just what I'm looking for as I'm applying in 2014 too

I just wanted to ask as I enter my A2 year whether you think it's alright if I drop Chemistry. That'll leave me with Biology, Maths and Eng. Lit.
I just have that gut feeling I'll never be able to cope with A2 Chemistry but want to know your thoughts because otherwise I would drop Eng. Lit.
I know taking Biology is vital for Optometry but is Chemistry still desired you think?

Thanks
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Reply 2
it is best off taking a2 chemistry...im doing a2 biology n chemistry and as psychology in my second year. Most unis ask for two sciences i know bradford manchester and aston ask for two sciences...so taking a2 chem is a safer option...i dont like the idea of taking it forward either but il stand more chance of getting into optometry!
What unis are you looking at for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Isn't Maths looked at as a science?

I'm really looking to go to City or Manchester.
City because London is gonna be a new place for me and Manchester because I pretty much live right next to the uni so its nice and local and I'm comfortable with the setting. There's obviously more in-depth reason, they're not the only ones! Aston is also up there too, but I've never been too keen on Bradford.

Have you gotten any work experience?

edit:
Manchester
"A-level: Grades AAB. Grade A in Biology and one of Maths, Physics or Chemistry at grade A. (normally to be taken in one sitting). General Studies is welcomed, but is not normally included as part of the offer"

Aston
"Typical offers:

A Levels: AAA

IB: 34-35 points overall, including 6 points in Higher Level Biology and 6 points in Higher Level Chemistry or Physics, 5 points in Higher Level Maths or 6 points in Standard Level Maths and 5 points in Standard Level English."

from the Manchester and Aston websites so I guess Maths would be alright then! I understand what you mean by a better chance of getting in with Chemistry though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by sp-ike96x
Isn't Maths looked at as a science?

I'm really looking to go to City or Manchester.
City because London is gonna be a new place for me and Manchester because I pretty much live right next to the uni so its nice and local and I'm comfortable with the setting. There's obviously more in-depth reason, they're not the only ones! Aston is also up there too, but I've never been too keen on Bradford.

Have you gotten any work experience?

edit:
Manchester
"A-level: Grades AAB. Grade A in Biology and one of Maths, Physics or Chemistry at grade A. (normally to be taken in one sitting). General Studies is welcomed, but is not normally included as part of the offer"

Aston
"Typical offers:

A Levels: AAA

IB: 34-35 points overall, including 6 points in Higher Level Biology and 6 points in Higher Level Chemistry or Physics, 5 points in Higher Level Maths or 6 points in Standard Level Maths and 5 points in Standard Level English."

from the Manchester and Aston websites so I guess Maths would be alright then! I understand what you mean by a better chance of getting in with Chemistry though.

ahh my bad..sorry just skimmed over the maths part! yea u could drop chemistry if u kept maths!
Ah thats awesome!!! I want to go manchester or aston! Main choice being manchester because its closer to me!!
yeah i have im working in an opticians now just about got the placement though!!
how about you?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,
It may be better to re-create this 2014 thread in the "Healthcare and Nursing" part of the TSR website. Its where the historical Optometry threads are ...
Reply 6
Original post by Tangotangodelta
Hey guys,
It may be better to re-create this 2014 thread in the "Healthcare and Nursing" part of the TSR website. Its where the historical Optometry threads are ...

ahh will do thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by skpatel
ahh my bad..sorry just skimmed over the maths part! yea u could drop chemistry if u kept maths!
Ah thats awesome!!! I want to go manchester or aston! Main choice being manchester because its closer to me!!
yeah i have im working in an opticians now just about got the placement though!!
how about you?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. I'm so tempted to stay in Manchester. The uni's great and the place is is perfect but I feel i need to push myself out of my comfort zone abit.
I've got a feeling I'll succumb to just staying in Manchester though! But being in Birmingham would be cool too. Have you gone to an open day for Aston or looked around the place? Would love to know your thoughts! :smile:

I've been relentlessly e-mailing opticians and none have gotten back to me. i really just want so mini experience and something I can right about on my personal statement. Finger crossed, eh!
Reply 8
Yeah. I'm so tempted to stay in Manchester. The uni's great and the place is is perfect but I feel i need to push myself out of my comfort zone abit.
I've got a feeling I'll succumb to just staying in Manchester though! But being in Birmingham would be cool too. Have you gone to an open day for Aston or looked around the place? Would love to know your thoughts! :smile:

I've been relentlessly e-mailing opticians and none have gotten back to me. i really just want so mini experience and something I can right about on my personal statement. Finger crossed, eh!

i havnt actually been to the uni in birmingham but rhe optom at the place i work studied their and said it was really good they help u out alot...he got his degree 2years ago so it wont be that much different...about the actual uni n birmingham i don't know i r never been to birmingham as such!
Don't email...go into the opticians with ur cv n just say ur an a level student wanting to do optometry and wondered if you could work shadow an optom...dont give in, keep nagging them thats what i did. I think they got irritated by my nagging and hit a point where they thought if it shuts her up wel take her on. Even if you get placements in hospitals or pharmacies itl show that u went out there and didnt just stick to your field...guess it enhances your interview skills..where u could say well i worked in a hospital n pharmacy but it wasnt for me and then explain why you were drawn to optometry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by skpatel
i havnt actually been to the uni in birmingham but rhe optom at the place i work studied their and said it was really good they help u out alot...he got his degree 2years ago so it wont be that much different...about the actual uni n birmingham i don't know i r never been to birmingham as such!
Don't email...go into the opticians with ur cv n just say ur an a level student wanting to do optometry and wondered if you could work shadow an optom...dont give in, keep nagging them thats what i did. I think they got irritated by my nagging and hit a point where they thought if it shuts her up wel take her on. Even if you get placements in hospitals or pharmacies itl show that u went out there and didnt just stick to your field...guess it enhances your interview skills..where u could say well i worked in a hospital n pharmacy but it wasnt for me and then explain why you were drawn to optometry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I'll definitely do so then.
Have you done any work on your PS yet?
Reply 10
Thank you! I'll definitely do so then.
Have you done any work on your PS yet?

Noo not yet, i said id start as soon as college finished, that was over a month ago :-\ i think im going to wait on my results though and then make my decision on options! How about you?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by skpatel
Noo not yet, i said id start as soon as college finished, that was over a month ago :-\ i think im going to wait on my results though and then make my decision on options! How about you?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha, I finished college on around the 22nd June and then I was like, y'know what, I'm gonna start my PS. Nope.
I was then gonna go on holiday from July 10th-18th and was thinking, when I come back I'll deffo get started on it. Nope!
And just today I've just started making notes and formulating ideas on what to write. The whole thing is pretty daunting.
And plus I'm still deciding whether I want to study Audiology, too..

Its a good plan to start the PS after you've got the results I guess.
I wanna finish a draft before I start college again so I don't have too much stuff on my mind before I've even stepped foot through the gate.
Reply 12
haha, I finished college on around the 22nd June and then I was like, y'know what, I'm gonna start my PS. Nope.
I was then gonna go on holiday from July 10th-18th and was thinking, when I come back I'll deffo get started on it. Nope!
And just today I've just started making notes and formulating ideas on what to write. The whole thing is pretty daunting.
And plus I'm still deciding whether I want to study Audiology, too..

Its a good plan to start the PS after you've got the results I guess.
I wanna finish a draft before I start college again so I don't have too much stuff on my mind before I've even stepped foot through the gate.

Hahaha thats my logic...il do it tomorrow...that becomes the the day after that...never ending cycle but i need to look at my options too! Right now its pharmacy and optometry..they have really similar entry requirments so i need to look at a course with lower requirments as a back up!
im dreading results day! After resitting the whole year i cant afford to make the same mistakes!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all

If you are considering Optometry here are some of the reasons why you should consider Bradford:

We are in the top 20 for graduate-level employment in the UK and the number one university in Yorkshire

Our course is accredited by the General Optical Council

The Bradford School of Optometry and Vision Science has one of the highest percentages of registered Optometrists as members of academic staff across all UK universities.

You will see patients in the University's own clinics, and also attend local hospitals where you are instructed in the recognition of eye disease by senior ophthalmologists.

We are developing a new Integrated Life Sciences Learning Centre that students across all disciplines in Life Sciences will be able to utilise from 2014:

[video="youtube_share;OpQx6Ncl3wo"]http://youtu.be/OpQx6Ncl3wo[/video]

If you have any queries at all get in touch on here or through Twitter or Facebook:

@bradforduni

https://www.facebook.com/university.bradford

Cheers

Claire
Reply 14
Original post by University of Bradford
Hi all

If you are considering Optometry here are some of the reasons why you should consider Bradford:

We are in the top 20 for graduate-level employment in the UK and the number one university in Yorkshire

Our course is accredited by the General Optical Council

The Bradford School of Optometry and Vision Science has one of the highest percentages of registered Optometrists as members of academic staff across all UK universities.

You will see patients in the University's own clinics, and also attend local hospitals where you are instructed in the recognition of eye disease by senior ophthalmologists.

We are developing a new Integrated Life Sciences Learning Centre that students across all disciplines in Life Sciences will be able to utilise from 2014:

[video="youtube_share;OpQx6Ncl3wo"]http://youtu.be/OpQx6Ncl3wo[/video]

If you have any queries at all get in touch on here or through Twitter or Facebook:

@bradforduni

Cheers

Claire

That's awesome, Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Heya! I'm hopefully applying for Optom in 2014! I don't know of anyone else at my college applying for it!
I've been to Aston Uni and my opinions on it are:

The lecturers are lovely and very enthusiastic

The uni campus is well set out and a nice size/area/nice lake etc..

The accommodation is great- all en-suite - except awfully expensive! Cheapest is £121 a week!!!

Amazing sporting facilities

However, not a HUGE variety of societies

The optom department building is a bit dated (very concreted!)

My boss went to Manchester Uni and said that it was a really good course and uni.
I haven't started writing my personal statement either, it's such a daunting process!
Where else are you guys applying to?
Reply 16
Original post by gulliablegirl
Heya! I'm hopefully applying for Optom in 2014! I don't know of anyone else at my college applying for it!
I've been to Aston Uni and my opinions on it are:

The lecturers are lovely and very enthusiastic

The uni campus is well set out and a nice size/area/nice lake etc..

The accommodation is great- all en-suite - except awfully expensive! Cheapest is £121 a week!!!

Amazing sporting facilities

However, not a HUGE variety of societies

The optom department building is a bit dated (very concreted!)

My boss went to Manchester Uni and said that it was a really good course and uni.
I haven't started writing my personal statement either, it's such a daunting process!
Where else are you guys applying to?

I really want to go to Aston but it's too far from home for me id like to stay near uni but be able to come home every weekend n spend time with family! Manchester uni is the best option for that...i really want to go there..My cousin studies Criminology there n stays in the flats off Oxford Road n paid £107 a week and everything was included! I havnt started my personal statement either!! Don't know where to start!! I think i'm going to wait for my results and then annoy my teachers about whats best to put in!!
Ooo also...bradford is supposedly meant to be good for optometry..its the easier one of them to get into..i wudn't go unless i really had no other choice...alot of pakistanis, not really much chance of me getting out of my comfort zone! Not too sure about Aston uni but manchester have alot of exchange students too so u get to know different people!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by skpatel
I really want to go to Aston but it's too far from home for me id like to stay near uni but be able to come home every weekend n spend time with family! Manchester uni is the best option for that...i really want to go there..My cousin studies Criminology there n stays in the flats off Oxford Road n paid £107 a week and everything was included! I havnt started my personal statement either!! Don't know where to start!! I think i'm going to wait for my results and then annoy my teachers about whats best to put in!!
Ooo also...bradford is supposedly meant to be good for optometry..its the easier one of them to get into..i wudn't go unless i really had no other choice...alot of pakistanis, not really much chance of me getting out of my comfort zone! Not too sure about Aston uni but manchester have alot of exchange students too so u get to know different people!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey!
To be honest I'm just hoping that I get an offer from anywhere! It's a shame that we have so few uni's to choose from, so if it's far away I'll just have to deal with it :P
Good luck with results! I have a feeling that mine aren't going to be very impressive :frown:
I've had chats with some of the Optoms at work and they said to not bother applying to Bradford, as it doesn't have the reputation of the others, and neither does Plymouth(where they've only taught the course for a few years).
Just in case you were wondering.... I'm white british and was CERTAINLY in the minority at Aston, which may bother some people because they're not used to it, but I don't really mind too much.

Where else do you think you'll be applying for? xx
To be honest, regarding employment, it makes no difference if you graduate from Bradford, Aston, City or wherever.
There is always an element among optoms of "oh Cardiff has a great reputation, Bradford is rubbish" - but that is just based on the typical entry requirements (AAA for Cardiff, Aston - AAB for Manchester and City- ABB for Bradford, ARU and Plymouth) and not based on the quality of the teaching, feedback, etc...
Regarding the ethnic make up, British Asians reresent the overwhelming majority in virtually all the Optometry courses in England.
So if it "may bother some people" then Optometry is definitely not the field to choose ....
Morning everyone

Best of luck if you are getting results today. In terms of differentiating between courses you could look at:

Accreditations - is the course accredited by the General Optical Council (the course at Bradford is)
How many registered Optometrists are members of staff in the department (Bradford has one of the highest percentages across all UK universities)
What are the graduate employment stats? (90% of our 2011 Optometry graduates (latest figures) found employment or went on to further study within six months of graduating)

If you have any queries at all do get in touch - ring our Hotline on 0800 073 1225 and check out our Clearing website at: http://www.bradford.ac.uk

Also have a look at our latest video:

[video="youtube_share;q5PS-uEs69c"]http://youtu.be/q5PS-uEs69c[/video]

Best of luck and get involved with us on social media:

https://twitter.com/BradfordUni

http://www.youtube.com/universityofbradford

Cheers

Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending