The Student Room Group

New relationship but going to university in September... :(

I recently started dating a new guy and we've been together for 2 months now. It's going really well and everything but the one thing putting a downer on it is that I'm moving over 200 miles away in September for uni :frown:

I don't know what to do. We haven't spoken about what will happen between us when I leave. Every time I remember that I have to leave, I just feel awful, it's putting a huge downer on the happiness of a new relationship knowing it's not going to be like this soon, and a downer on the excitement of university! Instead of being excited like I was before I'm absolutely dreading it now.
I keep even having fantasies of cancelling my place in favour of a uni closer to home... I know it'd just be silly and reckless to actually do that, though.

What can I do to feel better about this? It doesn't help seeing that most uni relationships fail anyway :tongue: success stories would be wonderfully reassuring, haha! I just hate feeling like we might not work cos of this, whereas if I was going to a different uni it might've worked out etc.
And where will he be going? What are his plans?

One of my close friends at Uni met someone in the summer before starting. After a year of LDR they got married, and kept going on visits and letters for the next two years until they could live in the same place. And the distance that separated them was a good deal more than 200 miles (home in the Southwest; Uni in the extreme Northeast of England). Anyway, their marriage has now lasted more than 35 years and is very strong, so the distance in the beginning did not do any harm in the long term.
Reply 2
Original post by Voyager_2002
And where will he be going? What are his plans?

One of my close friends at Uni met someone in the summer before starting. After a year of LDR they got married, and kept going on visits and letters for the next two years until they could live in the same place. And the distance that separated them was a good deal more than 200 miles (home in the Southwest; Uni in the extreme Northeast of England). Anyway, their marriage has now lasted more than 35 years and is very strong, so the distance in the beginning did not do any harm in the long term.

He's a few years older than me, he has a job where we live now. He's thinking of going to uni next year but it won't be the uni I'm at anyway. Aww that's nice to hear :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending