The Student Room Group

Where have you been in the UK?

I've noticed a lot of my university friends, myself included, haven't been to a lot of the major UK cities (e.g. Newcastle, Edinburgh, Belfast etc.) Most of us have been around our home cities and then wherever close friends or family live, plus where we take the occasional UK holiday. I used to be a Londoner, and quite a few of us tended to stick to either the South or going overseas when it came to going on holiday as well.

I was wondering how common it was to not have been to/know many people from the largest cities in the UK? Which ones have you been to? Also, any tips on must-see places I should visit? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

As a football fan and season ticket holder, I've been too many Cities and Towns in the UK. Seriously, following a football team gets me around the Country, and I've visited a lot of places. I always say if I wasn't a football fan then I wouldn't have visited half the places. (I'm actually going to Middlesbrough on Saturday).

So, I'm a uni student in Manchester. Good City, I like living there. I'm a massive Beatles fan as well, so I always love visiting Liverpool. It really has improved and it has great history and architecture. I'd recommend both of them.

Depends what you're into I guess, look up history around the UK (it is mostly in the north though, and I'm not being biased because I'm northern). I appreciate bridges, I love Isambard Kingdom Brunel, so I'm really into Middlesbrough's transporter bridge and Hull's humber bridge.
I've always lived up north, mainly Harrogate, but I've also commuted to Blackpool, Leeds, Hull, Durham, Bridlington, Manchester and Northumbria for short periods of time. Planning on going to London for university, so it'll be a shock. Not looking forward to the cost of things though. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Incredimazing
I've always lived up north, mainly Harrogate, but I've also commuted to Blackpool, Leeds, Hull, Durham, Bridlington, Manchester and Northumbria for short periods of time. Planning on going to London for university, so it'll be a shock. Not looking forward to the cost of things though. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is ridiculously expensive in London :tongue: Have you been to many other places down South? I've hardly been anywhere lol.
Reply 4
I've been to Manchester, Preston, Leeds, Liverpool, Cardiff, Birmingham, Glasgow and Hull are the city's I have been to, many for football, theatre or music.
Reply 5
I have only ever been in Oxford, High Wycombe and London.
TBH, I've visited many of the UK's major cities/towns within a 60 mile radius of my hometown (Middlesbrough), but not many beyond that. The only major UK cities/towns that I can remember visiting beyond that are London, Torquay and Doncaster. I'm sure that there will be a few more, though, that I haven't yet remembered. I don't follow a football club, so I don't have that incentive to travel around, and I have rarely felt the need to travel more than 60 miles from where I live for a theatre or comedy show.
Original post by Sloaney Pony
It is ridiculously expensive in London :tongue: Have you been to many other places down South? I've hardly been anywhere lol.

I've only been down south once or twice, visiting family in Kent, which involved a drive through London, but I was half asleep so I don't remember much :smile:. The second time was to Dover, where I caught a ferry to France.

I know they say "It's well grim up North", but from what I remember of Kent and Dover, I wasn't impressed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by thoyub
I have only ever been in Oxford, High Wycombe and London.

But those are lovely areas! :love: I'm jealous :tongue:
Reply 9
But those are lovely areas! :love: I'm jealous :tongue:

Well if you stay away from the suburbs of Oxford and stay in the centre, then it is a lovely area. But some parts of it are just...a no no. Personally I want to move.
Reply 10
Original post by Platinum Mech
TBH, I've visited many of the UK's major cities/towns within a 60 mile radius of my hometown (Middlesbrough), but not many beyond that. The only major UK cities/towns that I can remember visiting beyond that are London, Torquay and Doncaster. I'm sure that there will be a few more, though, that I haven't yet remembered. I don't follow a football club, so I don't have that incentive to travel around, and I have rarely felt the need to travel more than 60 miles from where I live for a theatre or comedy show.

Middlesbrough's nice! My cousin used to live there :biggrin:

Do you travel a lot for theatre or comedy shows? I used to live in London and I never really did (though it was London TBF), and I know my friends who are keen on it just watch whatever's on in the area as well :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by thoyub
Well if you stay away from the suburbs of Oxford and stay in the centre, then it is a lovely area. But some parts of it are just...a no no. Personally I want to move.

Which parts? TBH, I would give my right arm to study a Masters at Oxford - it seems like a really nice city.
Reply 12
I live in Newcastle and have never been to London hahah. I've been to Edinburgh, Devon/Exeter, York, Lancashire, and that's about it, apart from maybe driving through places like Middlesborough and that... And wherever Alton Towers is? Haha
Reply 13
It may sound strange but as a student at MBS and I was a poor one I did not visit other cities than Manchester and not london although I wanted so much to see the popular British Museum and the Greek ruins and the Madam Tissaut Museum and of course Backingham,Big Ben etc.But I am still happy because Manchester was enough to experience the friendship and love of the people I met and the 4 years I spent in Manchester were enough to love England,the English and the whole country.

I really love your country people and I intend to return this September or October.

Here in Greece people keep telling me, "Will you shut up about Manchester?" and I reply "Hell no!When I left I also left there a piece from my heart"
Reply 14
I haven't been many places I'm the UK, I'm from Liverpool I've been to Manchester Leeds Doncaster Middlesborough and Northampton I think that's about it.
Middlesbrough's nice! My cousin used to live there :biggrin:

Do you travel a lot for theatre or comedy shows? I used to live in London and I never really did (though it was London TBF), and I know my friends who are keen on it just watch whatever's on in the area as well :tongue:

TBH, almost all of the theatre shows I've seen have been in Middlesbrough or Stockton right next to it, so I haven't had to travel far for them. As for comedy shows, I've often travelled to nearby places like Newcastle, Durham and York due to the comedians I really like not visiting Middlesbrough/Stockton on their tours - good examples being Al Murray (though I saw him live in Middlesbrough a year later), Harry Hill and Paul Merton.
Reply 16
Which parts? TBH, I would give my right arm to study a Masters at Oxford - it seems like a really nice city.

There is a suburb of the city called Barton which is just...ughhh. I don't know your opinion on this type of thing but I don't like the kind of people that live there at all. Very uncivilised people, chavs, hoodlums etc. Violent crime is high there as well. The people there are just very low class. Same goes for another suburb, Blackbird Leys. If you ever come to Oxford, stay away from those two areas and you should be fine!

The city is overall very nice but there are some very bad areas which are easily avoided but you don't hear about them for whatever reason. :smile: The history and the architecture is something to die for.
Reply 17
Original post by kkovots
It may sound strange but as a student at MBS and I was a poor one I did not visit other cities than Manchester and not london although I wanted so much to see the popular British Museum and the Greek ruins and the Madam Tissaut Museum and of course Backingham,Big Ben etc.But I am still happy because Manchester was enough to experience the friendship and love of the people I met and the 4 years I spent in Manchester were enough to love England,the English and the whole country.

I really love your country people and I intend to return this September or October.

Here in Greece people keep telling me, "Will you shut up about Manchester?" and I reply "Hell no!When I left I also left there a piece from my heart"

D'aww, you're always welcome here :h: I'm actually going on holiday to Greece this September! They're both great countries haha. London's really nice in September or October, in some ways better than it is in the summer as being a huge city it gets really stuffy and crowded during the warmer months, so I'm sure you'll love your visit. :smile: Oh, and travelling between cities is really cheap if you take the coach or train! (National Express or Rail). :biggrin:
Live in London
Been to Southampton, Leeds, Cambridge...that's it :redface:
Reply 19
D'aww, you're always welcome here :h: I'm actually going on holiday to Greece this September! They're both great countries haha. London's really nice in September or October, in some ways better than it is in the summer as being a huge city it gets really stuffy and crowded during the warmer months, so I'm sure you'll love your visit. :smile: Oh, and travelling between cities is really cheap if you take the coach or train! (National Express or Rail). :biggrin:

Oh my lady it took me a long time to elarn about Megabus as a cheaper option.I also considered the accomodation thing because this would cost much.

Btw I am returning to Manchester in 2 months.And when I get my first job (hope bvery soon) and save some pounds I will do it.

If you come to Athens I will be happy to tell you everything and if you come in September and I am still here I would be really happy to show you the city,the ruins (I love history) and many more.Otherwise I can post to you many useful information where to go and what to see.

Now if you go elsewhere I may still be able to tell you some useful tips

Quick Reply

Latest