The Student Room Group

Can i get into UCL or should i stop dreaming big?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey, I will keep this post basic and not go into amazing depth about whether you should or shouldn't apply. From reading your post, you are well prepared, you have a lot of relevant extra curriculars and seem keen for the subject. My advice? Go for it. You have 5 options on the UCAS application so use UCL as your ambitious choice. One point I will make from experience though is to visit. I applied or Law this year and was originally hell bent on studying at one of the London colleges and with being predicted A*A*A had no reason not to, however after visiting both KCL and UCL I didn't even apply to a London based university, simply because I just didn't like them, so make sure you check UCL out first! I'm sure already have but it would be a nightmare if you got there and hated it!!
Original post by ZaraaAli
hey, My GCSE grades are BBCDEEEE

My predicted A level grades would be, A*AAA ( Math, Economics, Psychology, Accounting)
I'm pretty sure that i will achieve these grades as i have been studying all day and night. I'm giving my AS and A2 together this may.

I want to study any course at UCL that is somehow related to Economics. like the most least competitive one as well cause i dont dream for the competitive ones to be honest.

I am preparing so hard for them that you've no idea. I am 100% sure that i will get my predicted grades. This is because i have completed my AS thoroughly and have started preparing for my A2. Hopefully, this August i will be over with my entire Alevel preparation and will start revision. My point is i will get A's. hopefully.

Can i get into any of UCL's most noncompetitive management or Economics course with my these GCSE grades and high predeicted A level grades? Because if I can, I'd be happy and may be motivated but if i cannot i need to know it now before i get into real depression!
Additionally, I have a non-profit organization for children, two year teaching experience at one of the schools in my country which is ranked 7. I taught Economics there. Then internship at several non profit organizations such as SOS, SPO, WWF.
I also assisted a clinical psychologist at one of the hospitals.
And an internship at Reckitt Benckiser and a textile Mill in my country.
Therefore, this all will make a good personal statement of mine!
thanks

Best way to find out is to contact UCL. But my advise is to never give up. If you really really want UCL like you say you do then you will end up there :smile:. Good luck.
I'm slightly confused here - first are you a mature student as the grade requirements tend to be different. Secondly are you likely to have to pay international fees as again the competition is likely to be different.

As a general principle it would help to have some proof that your predicted grades are achievable and it sounds like you're doing AS and A2 together. If you are set on UCL you could apply with known grades and have a gap year.
Reply 23
You should never stop dreaming big. If you stop dreaming big then you will turn into one of those people who never really live because they are afraid to step outside of their comfort zone. Be prepared to work hard and have a couple of back-up plans and you should be alright. If it doesn't work out then either try again or readjust where you are aiming for and it should be for the best.

Best of luck x
Reply 24
Hi, I was wondering I really want to do economics at ucl like it's been a dream. I have got around 5A* and 5As and Gcse and I'm predicted A*AA maths economics and physics. I know in my interview that I will put my passion through into it so I can get the best possible. Ucl is as I've said a dream and I would really like to know if 5A* for IGCSE is too low
Are IGCSE's as respected as GCSE's?
Reply 26
Original post by CJaymyers98
Are IGCSE's as respected as GCSE's?

IGCSES are more respected as they are quite a bit harder
Original post by TazLi

Really, so if i get say. Three A*s at IGCSE, it would look good for an application to a russel group uni?

I'm sitting IGCSE Maths, Physics and Chemistry and i believe i'll get A*s in them.
Reply 28
Really, so if i get say. Three A*s at IGCSE, it would look good for an application to a russel group uni?

I'm sitting IGCSE Maths, Physics and Chemistry and i believe i'll get A*s in them.

Yeah it will as it's obviously the best possible grade. But you need to show more than your academical qualities to them ... For your interview CV etc
Original post by TazLi

They aren't and IGCSEs aren't actually that much harder; Maths is by a bit.

Depends on the university but that will do for many of the RGs.
Original post by TazLi
Hi, I was wondering I really want to do economics at ucl like it's been a dream. I have got around 5A* and 5As and Gcse and I'm predicted A*AA maths economics and physics. I know in my interview that I will put my passion through into it so I can get the best possible. Ucl is as I've said a dream and I would really like to know if 5A* for IGCSE is too low

No, they're not too low.
Reply 30
got 4A*s 6As and 1B yet I go to a selective grammar school.Will UCL accept me for an economics degree?
Original post by sushi399
got 4A*s 6As and 1B yet I go to a selective grammar school.Will UCL accept me for an economics degree?

Well what are you doing for A-level?
Reply 32

mate when applying to unis we talk about chances. We can not say if UCL will accept you or not.
Yes you have a shot just concentrate on your A levels and get good grades
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

:moon:
Reply 34
Original post by Pectorac
Well what are you doing for A-level?

Chemistry,maths+further maths, economics and geography
Chemistry,maths+further maths, economics and geography

Then yes, there's no reason why you can't.
Reply 36
Original post by Pectorac
Then yes, there's no reason why you can't.

I think my gcses are very low
I think my gcses are very low

For somewhere like LSE yes, but UCL don't care hardly as much if you have got good grades at AS. Your GCSEs aren't low for anywhere that's not Oxbridge or LSE.
Should I apply to UCL for Economics?I got an A in Economics,B's in Maths,Physics and ICT at AS levels.I am looking to retake maths.I was predicted straight A's.
Original post by Skill Twix
Should I apply to UCL for Economics?I got an A in Economics,B's in Maths,Physics and ICT at AS levels.I am looking to retake maths.I was predicted straight A's.

It's going to be hard for your teachers to predict you an A* in maths (and for UCL to believe you can achieve it), when you've got a B at AS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending