The Student Room Group

Has anyone taken the pill to Dubai before? Can I?

I'm on Microgynon and was wondering if I can take it to Dubai with me without any issues and if anyone here has ever done it before? I think it's allowed, but it's a controlled medicine, so I need a prescription (although I don't have one as I gave it to my pharmacist when picking it up, but I have the prescription for my next batch), but is there anything else that I need to do?

I'm just worried about causing a massive chaos, as my parents are traveling with me and they don't know that I'm on the pill, so I'm trying to avoid anything bad going on (like customs taking my luggage hostage to search or quizzing me in front of everyone). I've tried looking online, but I can't find a definite answer and was hoping someone who has done the same thing would be able to give me their experience please.
Reply 1
Original post by For The Love Of Giraffe
I'm on Microgynon and was wondering if I can take it to Dubai with me without any issues and if anyone here has ever done it before? I think it's allowed, but it's a controlled medicine, so I need a prescription (although I don't have one as I gave it to my pharmacist when picking it up, but I have the prescription for my next batch), but is there anything else that I need to do?

I'm just worried about causing a massive chaos, as my parents are traveling with me and they don't know that I'm on the pill, so I'm trying to avoid anything bad going on (like customs taking my luggage hostage to search or quizzing me in front of everyone). I've tried looking online, but I can't find a definite answer and was hoping someone who has done the same thing would be able to give me their experience please.

You could try calling up Dubai Customs before you depart UK and asking them directly.
Original post by jibberish
You could try calling up Dubai Customs before you depart UK and asking them directly.

I have e-mailed them and am waiting for a reply, but I was hoping for some confirmation from those who may have experience, mainly just to make me feel confident that it really is okay. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Reply 3
I have e-mailed them and am waiting for a reply, but I was hoping for some confirmation from those who may have experience, mainly just to make me feel confident that it really is okay. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Yea I figured thats what you wanted and I'm sorry I can't help you with that. I'm from Dubai though and honestly the rules can change over night so its no point asking here what people have experienced in a similar situation. If someone got away with taking those pills last month may not necessarily mean you could do the same as they may have stopped allowing those pills in the country now.

I've lived in Dubai for 4 years, and I can say that it's not unheard of that expats get imprisoned for possession of drugs that are available over the counter in their home countries.
First things first, get a confirmation from Dubai Customs. However, be wary that they take aaaaages to reply to emails and very often just don't.
In that case, try calling them up.
If it doesn't work, try the UAE Embassy in London.
You could also get in touch with the airline (I presume you would be flying with Emirates?). If it's Emirates, then they will guide you through, since they seem to know EVERYTHING about what you can and cannot take it. If it's some other airline, you are probably not going to learn much.
I've also heard of cases, when expats, being in possession of illegal drugs use the Red customs channel and just have the drugs confiscated but are allowed into the country with absolutely no ramifications.
Be wary that healthcare in Dubai is ALL high-quality private hospitals that charge around £100 the moment you arrive at their doorstep without even seeing you, so trying to get a prescription there will cost you a lot (and I mean A LOT) of money.

Quick Reply