The Student Room Group

Royal Mail Christmas Jobs

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by randomgeeza
Ahh I felt the same when I first applied a few years ago lol. Was a good experience in all honesty...They usually get to you in October from my experience, it varies a lot though. First time they got back to me in October, second time it was at the end of November.

Oh okay :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by ForgetMe
Have you heard back?

No, not yet. My status is just at 'application received'
Reply 42
Hi, I have been invited to a registration event with Royal Mail for an xmas job and was just wondering if anyone's been to one lately and what it includes. The job a mail sorting job.

They called it an interview in the invitation I had but on their website they call it a registration event. Is it like an interview or is it more of the case of checking I.D, documents ect.? I've heard it is quite casual but they're from posts I've read going back to 2009.

I know this question had been asked a lot on here already but I'm asking just in case they have changed the process lately.

Thanks for any help.
Reply 43
Hi,
It's just to check your I.D & choose what shift you want.

You can dress casually.

Once you get there, they take you to a room where they check you have all the right documents in a certain order.

Then you wait in another room to be seen by one of the recruitment staff which who double checks you have the right documents..

Then they ask you what shift you want, sign your contract, get your start date & that's it.
Reply 44
Aah right, thanks. I'm still wondering why they call it an interview, I guess it applies to the people applying to be a postie as I think that's more of a formal recruitment process. How long was it since you went to your registration event?
Reply 45
Original post by Wells
Aah right, thanks. I'm still wondering why they call it an interview, I guess it applies to the people applying to be a postie as I think that's more of a formal recruitment process. How long was it since you went to your registration event?

Wow, you heard back so soon :hmmm: I haven't heard back yet :s-smilie:
Reply 46
Wow, you heard back so soon :hmmm: I haven't heard back yet :s-smilie:

Yeah it was pretty quick. I think it was just over a week until I got a text with the invitation. You should hear from them soon!
Reply 47
Original post by Wells
Yeah it was pretty quick. I think it was just over a week until I got a text with the invitation. You should hear from them soon!

It's been near 2 weeks since I've applied :mmm: Maybe just because I'm from London :mmm:
Reply 48
It's been near 2 weeks since I've applied :mmm: Maybe just because I'm from London :mmm:

Maybe! But all Royal Mails are probably different anyway. You should hear back from them though, there are probably more applications for them to go through in London.
Original post by Wells
Maybe! But all Royal Mails are probably different anyway. You should hear back from them though, there are probably more applications for them to go through in London.

I haven't heard anything back either :frown: what type of experience do you have?
Reply 50
Original post by Really_now
I haven't heard anything back either :frown: what type of experience do you have?

Well I have warehouse experience, but from what I've heard, it seems they'll employ anyone, you don't need experience. As long as you turn up on the registration day, take your documents and choose your shift, it sounds like anyone's got a pretty good chance of getting the job.
Original post by Wells
Well I have warehouse experience, but from what I've heard, it seems they'll employ anyone, you don't need experience. As long as you turn up on the registration day, take your documents and choose your shift, it sounds like anyone's got a pretty good chance of getting the job.

Thanks for the reply, I keep hearing that as well, my experience is a bit limited so I'm a bit worried but I guess I'll just have to wait and see. :tongue:
Reply 52
Original post by Really_now
Thanks for the reply, I keep hearing that as well, my experience is a bit limited so I'm a bit worried but I guess I'll just have to wait and see. :tongue:

I don't have a lot of experience either, the warehouse experience is from a placement I did. I think all the registration things are in October so you should hear from them soon :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by randomgeeza
I've worked there twice during the Xmas period. I first worked during the end of November till the beginning of January. Second time, I got contacted quite late for the vacancy and only worked in December (things got done quicker this year so didn't have to work in January).

You can do weekend shifts too if you are only free then.

Hey, I'm in the same position that I can pretty much only work weekends. I was wondering if it's still worth applying when the job description says that "you'll need to be available to work full time hours". Is the weekend shifts thing anecdotal, or only available in some places?
Original post by Wells
I don't have a lot of experience either, the warehouse experience is from a placement I did. I think all the registration things are in October so you should hear from them soon :smile:

I'll keep my fingers crossed then :P
Original post by knope
Hey, I'm in the same position that I can pretty much only work weekends. I was wondering if it's still worth applying when the job description says that "you'll need to be available to work full time hours". Is the weekend shifts thing anecdotal, or only available in some places?

You can just apply to work weekends, there is a shift there for weekends only. When I used to work weekdays, they used to have a separate register where we could sign up if we wanted to work weekends.
Reply 56
Damn, I really hate waiting and not knowing.
Has anyone from London heard back yet?
Reply 57
Original post by saulg
Damn, I really hate waiting and not knowing.
Has anyone from London heard back yet?

No, it has been 2 weeks since I've applied and this waiting is killing me :erm:
Hi I have received an informal interview for Royal Mail in a few weeks they told me to bring my national insurance, bank statement, passport etc. What is the interview like? Are they likely to give me the job and how many hours will I work?

I am able and want to work full time

ANYONE Know the hours?
Reply 59
Just got this email from the RM Christmas Recruitment Team - hoping it will put some minds at rest!

Thank you for your interest in working for Royal Mail this Christmas.

We endeavour to respond to every single Christmas application that we receive. However, if you have not heard from us by the 25th October 2013 then unfortunately we have been unable to find a role for you this year.

If your application is successful you will be contacted by email and advised to log on to your account to book your assessment. Please ensure that you regularly log onto your account to check the process of your application.

If you are successful at your assessment and are offered a position on the day, this is subject to the completion of mandatory security vetting checks which includes a search for any unspent criminal convictions. The offer of employment will be revoked if results of the checks reveal any unacceptable or undisclosed criminal convictions.

For a list of frequently asked questions and information about Christmas casual recruitment with Royal Mail, please click on the following link:

Christmas Recruitment FAQ Link

If you are unable to log onto your account, please call the Christmas Helpline on 0845 600 1785 to speak to an advisor who will be happy to help.

Kind regards

The Christmas Recruitment Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending