The Student Room Group

Royal Mail Christmas Jobs

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by ineedtorevise127
Hi I have received an informal interview for Royal Mail in a few weeks they told me to bring my national insurance, bank statement, passport etc. What is the interview like? Are they likely to give me the job and how many hours will I work?

I am able and want to work full time

ANYONE Know the hours?

The 'interview' is pretty much just a a chance for Royal Mail to check that you are legally allowed to work in the UK - it is not like a formal interview at all. Last year, people turned up in tracksuits / jeans, could barely speak English etc and were offered the job, so don't worry about it. Just make sure you turn up with all the relevant paperwork they have asked for or they will turn you away!

Also, each shift is 8 hours. Early shift = 6am-2pm Late shift = 2pm-10pm and Night shift = 10pm-6am

If you're working full time weekend shifts are usually optional. So a typical full time week is 40 hours.

At the 'interview' you will be asked if you are happy to sign a form saying you are wiling to work over the maximum number of allowed hours per week (48 hours). An employer isn't allowed to force any of it's employees to work over 48 hours per week, so it's entirely optional and gives you the choice to work extra shifts if you choose to.

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by nimmish
The 'interview' is pretty much just a a chance for Royal Mail to check that you are legally allowed to work in the UK - it is not like a formal interview at all. Last year, people turned up in tracksuits / jeans, could barely speak English etc and were offered the job, so don't worry about it. Just make sure you turn up with all the relevant paperwork they have asked for or they will turn you away!

Also, each shift is 8 hours. Early shift = 6am-2pm Late shift = 2pm-10pm and Night shift = 10pm-6am

If you're working full time weekend shifts are usually optional. So a typical full time week is 40 hours.

At the 'interview' you will be asked if you are happy to sign a form saying you are wiling to work over the maximum number of allowed hours per week (48 hours). An employer isn't allowed to force any of it's employees to work over 48 hours per week, so it's entirely optional and gives you the choice to work extra shifts if you choose to.

Hope that helps :smile:

Ok thanks do you know when royal mail pay you the money in your bank account? Hopefully I get the job :smile:
How long does the Royal Mail Christmas temp last? How many weeks do you work there?
Reply 63
Ok thanks do you know when royal mail pay you the money in your bank account? Hopefully I get the job :smile:

Your 1st week's pay will be paid the following week.

2nd week's pay on the 3rd week etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 64
How long does the Royal Mail Christmas temp last? How many weeks do you work there?

It's different for every area,

I worked at Greenford last year for 3 x 6 day weeks - about £1100 before tax
Original post by lmbarns
It's different for every area,

I worked at Greenford last year for 3 x 6 day weeks - about £1100 before tax

Oh cool do they pay the full 8 hours or like only 7 hours due to the lunch break? Also what tax rate do they charge you at is it the basic 20%?
what is the pay for 18 years old is it £6.95 like everyone else
I have the interview thing soon what does non EEA national mean it says to bring in university documents but I am not going to university this year what do I do?
Reply 68
Original post by nimmish
Just got this email from the RM Christmas Recruitment Team - hoping it will put some minds at rest!

I got the same e-mail yesterday :smile:
Hi ,i have an interview tomorrow afternoon.can any one tell me what type of question do they ask ?
Reply 70
Got a job interview to work over Christmas. But, not been sent any details of what documents I need for the interview. Can anyone help please?
Reply 71
Original post by sridivya yella
Hi ,i have an interview tomorrow afternoon.can any one tell me what type of question do they ask ?

They will ask what shift you want, then to sign your contract, then to leave.

It's really not an interview, they just want to check you can legally work in the uk, and make sure they have your correct NI & bank details.
Reply 72
Original post by Tevez-32
Got a job interview to work over Christmas. But, not been sent any details of what documents I need for the interview. Can anyone help please?

You need to sign into your royal mail application via their website and it should say.

If not,

You need to print your summary page,(2 forms of ID) passport, proof of NI, 2 passport photo's, driving license & counterpart, bank details.

& make sure you make a photocopy of everything, otherwise they will make you do it there.
Reply 73
I have the interview thing soon what does non EEA national mean it says to bring in university documents but I am not going to university this year what do I do?

Non-EEA means someone outside of European Economic Area.
So I was looking throught the website and happened to find a christmas casual I could apply for, but i wanted to know did you guys give your National insurance number straight away on the website or waited until you was able to get an interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Original post by Hanif Ahmed
So I was looking throught the website and happened to find a christmas casual I could apply for, but i wanted to know did you guys give your National insurance number straight away on the website or waited until you was able to get an interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did & i think you have too.
When you click apply it should ask you to enter your NI number, which i think you need to do to move onto the next question.

Just been sent an email inviting me to the registration event on the 7th of October
Reply 76
I went to my interview on the 16th and i was there for about an hour, i had to watch a presentation and fill in some forms as well as bring in all my documents and photocopies. I was in a room with about 30 people. They say to dress smart-casual but a lot of people i saw were in tracksuits and trainers. I was the only person in the room that hasn't worked there before. There are like 5 or 6 shifts i think? I got to number the ones I'd like to do most. All they said to me when i left is that they'd be in touch and i got an email saying if i hadn't heard anything by the 25th October to assume i hadn't got the job. My online application currently says 'processing security checks'. Hope this helped. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gemmegg
I went to my interview on the 16th and i was there for about an hour, i had to watch a presentation and fill in some forms as well as bring in all my documents and photocopies. I was in a room with about 30 people. They say to dress smart-casual but a lot of people i saw were in tracksuits and trainers. I was the only person in the room that hasn't worked there before. There are like 5 or 6 shifts i think? I got to number the ones I'd like to do most. All they said to me when i left is that they'd be in touch and i got an email saying if i hadn't heard anything by the 25th October to assume i hadn't got the job. My online application currently says 'processing security checks'. Hope this helped. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know what hours you are gonna work? I want to work 6 days because I am on a gap year do you think they will allow me this? What hours did you pick?
Reply 78
Do you know what hours you are gonna work? I want to work 6 days because I am on a gap year do you think they will allow me this? What hours did you pick?

I haven't been told which hours I'm allowed because it's on a 'first come first served' basis so I'm guessing they'll get in touch and let me know soon. I chose 'earlies & Sundays' which is weekdays and Sunday from around 6:00am - 14:00 day, i also chose 'lates without Sunday' which weekdays 14:30-21:30 or something and i chose 'lates with Sundays' which is pretty much the same as the last including a Sunday. I think times and days differ in certain areas though.

I could be wrong because i don't remember very well, it was all so quick, your best bet would be to look at the dates and times offered at the interview, at mine i got three choices and had to number them in order of what i would prefer. If you're going for particular times or dates, I'd go there sooner rather than later because if it's 'first come first served' where you are they'll probably go really quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do Royal Mail pay you for the full 8 hours a day you work? Or do they only pay for 7 hour/day due to lunch break?

Quick Reply

Latest