The Student Room Group

Wolfram Alpha

Just wanted to solicit the views of any other mathematicians who use this excellent service (wolframalpha.com). I gather that to access the brilliant extra features means about £2 per month.

For quickly plotting multiple functions (of polar, Cartesian, parametric....) in 2 dimension, to plotting 3D surfaces etc. using even advanced functions like hyperbolics etc. It quickly confirms what you are inputting, so that there is no ambiguity. The step by step equation solver is also a good fall back.

So I'm pretty sure I'll get a year's subscription for now - how does anyone else rate it?
Reply 1
Original post by Choochoo_baloo
Just wanted to solicit the views of any other mathematicians who use this excellent service (wolframalpha.com). I gather that to access the brilliant extra features means about £2 per month.

For quickly plotting multiple functions (of polar, Cartesian, parametric....) in 2 dimension, to plotting 3D surfaces etc. using even advanced functions like hyperbolics etc. It quickly confirms what you are inputting, so that there is no ambiguity. The step by step equation solver is also a good fall back.

So I'm pretty sure I'll get a year's subscription for now - how does anyone else rate it?

It's quite handy for checking answers - but I only access it through the Mathematica interface, because I've paid for that and so it gives me free Pro access :smile: I would advise not using it until you've completed a problem, and just to check your answers - otherwise, you start using it for everything and getting lazy, and that's not good for passing tests.
Reply 2
I found the step by step feature quite nice, although it isn't available for the more complex questions.
I always use Maple as it's paid for by my uni, but for quickly checking integrals and differential equations, I love Wolfram. It's really easy going with syntax too.
Original post by Smaug123
It's quite handy for checking answers - but I only access it through the Mathematica interface, because I've paid for that and so it gives me free Pro access :smile: I would advise not using it until you've completed a problem, and just to check your answers - otherwise, you start using it for everything and getting lazy, and that's not good for passing tests.

What is "Mathematica" as opposed to "Pro"?

Don't worry I have no intentions of using it to answer questions without any effort from me:biggrin:
It's just for the occasions where I cannot seem to visualise a hypothetical curve etc. as part of a long solution, it is helpful to make a glancing reference.
I like to use it and encourage its correct use for my A Level Students.
I also love Desmos.
Reply 6
Original post by Choochoo_baloo
What is "Mathematica" as opposed to "Pro"?

Mathematica is the programming language on which Wolfram|Alpha is based. It can give you Wolfram|Alpha answers directly from the programming interface, though, so I use it through there, because when you do that, you get the Pro results.
Screen Shot 2013-07-31 at 10.03.35.png

Quick Reply

Latest